Who should be kicking?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Lyon good to resume Manly's goalkicking

Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:21 PM

Manly sharpshooter Jamie Lyon says he's ready to resume goalkicking duties in Sunday's NRL grand final if captain Matt Orford's isn't up to the task.

Orford raised questions over whether his hamstring would hold up for spot kicking against Melbourne at Telstra Stadium, telling Thursday's grand final breakfast gathering he wouldn't practice shooting for goal until the muscle twinge had settled properly.

The Manly halfback said he would be ready to continue taking the goal attempts by Sunday, but five-eighth Lyon has put his hand up as a worthy replacement.

Lyon had been the Sea Eagles first-choice kicker earlier in the year until a foot injury after Origin prompted him to step aside for Orford.

He last shot for goal five weeks ago in New Zealand, but boasts a better record than Orford.

Lyon has landed 48 of 62 attempts at 77 per cent while Orford is slightly less at 42 of 59 shots at 71 per cent.

But Lyon says he will remain understudy unless called upon.

"I had a little bit of an injury on my foot early on so Ox has been doing it," said Lyon.

"He's been kicking pretty well. I've just left it with Ox and he's going pretty well so I don't think there's any need to change.

"I've been working on it at training though."

Orford said he was hopeful his hamstring would be 100 per cent by game day.

"It's not too bad, it was just some muscle tightness," said Orford.

"It was nothing serious. We managed it well in the early days and I've had a run with the team.

"Hopefully by Friday and Saturday I will have a kick and decide (whether I will kick in the grand final) by then.

"I have been fairly comfortable in that role and it's part of my game. If I can do it and can do it well I definitely want to do it."

Lyon, meanwhile, said he would also practice his field goal kicking this week in anticipation for a close grand final contest.

Orford booted the match-winner three minutes from fulltime in the Sea Eagles 13-12 win over Melbourne earlier this year, while hooker Michael Monaghan is the other field goal option landing three in 2007.

However, Lyon is preparing to be the less predictable match-winner.

"I will get in there and have a crack if they're getting marked," said Lyon.

"It would be a good time to kick my first one."

Whoever is better

At the start of the year I thought Lyon was easily the better choice however now he has not been kicking I am not so sure. It does worry me our kicking ability as this game will be close.

I have re-inured a hammy a couple of times while taking a shot at goal. Its the worst thing you can do if you have a dodgy hamstring. I could run, stop, step etc without any problem, then id take a shot for goal and bang, it would go.

Lyon should take the kicking duties, imagine of Orford lines up for a shot after 5 minutes and his hammy goes. Goodbye Grand Final.

Lyon had an ankle injury, not a hamstring. Orford has been kicking well enough, if ain't broke dont't fix it.

Lyon is the better kicker. 48 goals to 43 this year and I can't remember Lyon even kicking that often.

lyon would be my preferance but orford has been better recently than his previous performances

I know Killer hasn't done it for a while but he is a very good kicker. I would go with him only because Ox should be in every other major play and it will take one piece of pressure off him.

It was interesting to see the metres gained when Smith kicked for the line with penalties last Sunday, many more gained than Orford. Thurston kicked much further as well on Saturday night. Ten metres gained with a penalty is not good enough. Surely someone from the Swans could have been brought over to teach the Ox to punt long. Hope that feature of his game doesn't come home to bite us on Sunday.

Monaghan can kick from the 30 and put it out on within their 10, granted with a bounce but when you have a bloke who can hoist them like Monas than I can't see the benefit of Orford kicking for line.

That said the eve of a grand final isn't the time to go changing things.

At least a Lyon kick from the sideline doesn't run out of puff halway there.

Orford can sometimes be like the golf pro with the yips, always leaving the ball short of the hole.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6