Who is the best player in the world?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Good point dowdz. I haven't seen too many gummy games this year but Gallen is just incredible every time I have seen him.

MrInvisible said:
Are we talking present or past?

Hazem El Masri for me would have to be the best in the world (NRL highest point scorer in history), NRL top point scorer for 2 years, over 300 club games, and very few injuries.

At present in present comp.. given ladder position I'd have to say Cooper Cronk, but purely on strike rates Ben Barba for attack and goal line defence would have to be close.

Brett Stewart the other year was easily up there with the best.

I guess it depends on the position played too.

Lol@El Misery

He was a goal kicker who hung out with footballers

MrInvisible said:

Hazem El Masri for me would have to be the best in the world (NRL highest point scorer in history), NRL top point scorer for 2 years, over 300 club games, and very few injuries.

At present in present comp.. given ladder position I'd have to say Cooper Cronk, but purely on strike rates Ben Barba for attack and goal line defence would have to be close.

Oh come on - surely you jest! But I guess it is all down to how you interpret "Best" even with Blue and White glasses

Hazem was a good player - and even a favourite of mine when I used to follow the doggies as a second team in the 90's (Polla-mounter, used to love watching him play) I digress. Seriously Haz wouldn't even make the grade of greats against players of his generation, most of his points came from the boot - someone else did the work. Thurston, Lockyer, Johns (Andrew that is) all were better players. You can even use selection in Origin as a measure....

Cooper Cronk is certainly on the way no arguments.

Barba - a few more games like he has been playing and then we can talk (he is getting there)

1 Slater
2 Lyon
3 Marshall
4 Thurston
5 Cronk
6 Gallen
7 Smith - has lost something other than money.
8 Inglis
9 Burgess
10 Stewart (not sure which one)

I know plenty won't like Marshall but he wins more games than any other player I have ever seen. The Tigers will never be able to replace him.

bob dylan said:
1 Slater
2 Lyon
3 Marshall
4 Thurston
5 Cronk
6 Gallen
7 Smith - has lost something other than money.
8 Inglis
9 Burgess
10 Stewart (not sure which one)

I know plenty won't like Marshall but he wins more games than any other player I have ever seen. The Tigers will never be able to replace him.

Man we have some good players in our game - actually can't argue with your 1-8 on current form

Surprised @ Burgess - but haven't watched enough Souths games (on principle) to make reasonable judgement.

Marshall when he is on song is unbelievable, its just a matter of him being on song..

What ? No votes for Hayne !! I swear listening to channel 9 he is the greatest player the game has ever known. Unless of course Billy or Jonathan or Benji or some other first name only God of rugby league happens to be playing. The best player in the world changes every weekend depending on who the media are pulling themselves silly over.

Lockyer was a true great. Cameron Smith is another consistently influential player.

Jamie's reluctance to play representative football and test himself at the highest level weighs against him in my opinion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NSWRL/ARL/SL/NRL_records#Most_career_tries

Some really interesting reading there.

Based on that, Beaver would have to be in the top 5 on that list (for all time players).

The best player in the world in my opinion would have to have been involved in recent premiership glory- as a result, although they have undoubted talent, this would rule out the Storm trio.

Best current player in the world- a tight one between J. Lyon, K. Foran, DCE, G and B Stewart, S. Matai and G. Rose.

Interesting MrI

Really depends on the basis for defining "Best player". Love the Beaver, but realistically can't put him as a best, a great player yes.

Vyssini said:
The best player in the world in my opinion would have to have been involved in recent premiership glory- as a result, although they have undoubted talent, this would rule out the Storm trio.

Best current player in the world- a tight one between J. Lyon, K. Foran, DCE, G and B Stewart, S. Matai and G. Rose.

Best not Biggest mate ;)

voicefromthehill said:
Interesting MrI

Really depends on the basis for defining "Best player". Love the Beaver, but realistically can't put him as a best, a great player yes.

Vyssini said:

Best not Biggest mate ;)

Show Georgie the love- he has been on fire recently!!!

Best attacking player this year: Ben barba
Best all round defensive player: Jamie Lyon
Best player in the world: cam smith

MrInvisible said:

You are kidding Mrs I, take away his goal kicking and El Masri was a solid 1st grader. Based on this logic your top 5 would be: El Masri, Jason Taylor, Darrell Halligan, Eon Crossan and Ross Conlan.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4