Whistle happy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
This two referee system is a HUGE failure. We now have two pinkies blowing the pea out of their whistles. Tonight there were close to 20 penalties. Disgraceful.
And neither pinkie has the confidence to rule on a try. They almost always send it to the video ref.
It is so predictable that a team struggling to get out of their quarter will receive a penalty. Fair dinkum, rugby league is becoming more like Yawnion every day.

The reffing tonight was atrocious. Your right, they were very whistle happy (at least it went both ways).

We were getting pinned for a second effort, but the tigpies werent.

And if the tigers had been penalised for the same things we got penalised for there would have been about 40-50 penalties blown

Another 18 penalties in our match with Doesn'tMatta.
Does anyone think that two referees have improved the standard, or just given us duelling peas!

The refs have not had a good year but the penalty rate is not there fault. In reality there should be another 30 per game they let slide. Coaches and players push the envelope so its inevitable. To me its the selective penalties

When a ref could blow 4 penalties every set of 6 in the match but hammers one team 3 to 1. I find that hard

And at some stage we have to have a crack down on the players moving off the mark, as thats getting laughable. Some players make more ground after they are tackled then before.I really hate it

I don't know what happened. The first 4-6 rounds I thought the refs were great. It looked like they had turned the corner. But alas, it was not to be, they have now gone back to their old dreadful ways. Why, why why???

Clint said:
I don't know what happened. The first 4-6 rounds I thought the refs were great. It looked like they had turned the corner. But alas, it was not to be, they have now gone back to their old dreadful ways. Why, why why???

Spot on here mate, the first few rounds all the talk was how much the refereeing had improved and how the new system of handling the video ref was much better. It all looked so promising but then they have come up with some clangers, which in my opinion when it comes to the video ref are completely inexcusable

It is a bit of an indication that the refs have really lost control of the game. They think blowing the whistle gives them the power and respect they need to control a game. The refs need the player's respect but don't feel they need to earn that respect. That just won't work in the whole scheme of things.

The reffing is def getting worse, it is so lopsided and bias in some games it is laughable. But as the refs are so protected they can do exactly what they like, they get supported but anderson who is in turn supported by the powers that be in castle nrl.

I thought when the commission came in each team ceo had a say in decisions etc, now it just appears to be a dictatorship with some fat cats calling the shots who have little interest in the actual game

it wouldn't be as lopsided if there was just one referee on the field. For mine, we get it so wrong with 2 refs on the field we may as well trim the fat and have fewer but better referees. One on the field, 2 touchies and a video ref is more than enough.

At least that way you get consistent calls throughout the whole game

Couldnt agree more about the ref success in the early rounds. (which by the way indicates a 2 ref system CAN work)

But yes, its failed and i dont know why either. And without any definitive identifiers I agree with Dan and say lets revert to the one ref system. If for no other reason than we can have continuity of decision making and continuity of blame if that decision making goes wrong.

Lets get it right before we compound things with potential for additional problems.

Am I the only one who thought Parra was not back the 10 all game? It's bad enough that they can't get it right, or they decide it will make the game more even, but Manly have to rack up huge scores in case the refs take a set against us, and the opposition claw their way back.

I am used to the anti-Manly bias now, it's been happening for years. But how do you get used to that march they gave Melbourne in the extra time? Just terrible judgement, biased, and vindictive.

If they are gonna stick with 2 refs (and I think they should, primarily to keep a close eye on the play the ball), I don't see why they can't just stick with their roles for the whole game i.e. one ref on the 10m for the whole game and the other behind the ruck. They can tip to each other if caught out of position with changeovers etc but at least you would get more consistent interpretations over the 80 mins.

The refs have now started penalising teams for a hand on the ball in the tackle if the team holding it drops it! Unbelievable what is going on. The idea of the game is to stop the ball and wrap it up. BUt if you do that & the opposition drop the pill you get penalised.

Dan said:
Clint said:

Spot on here mate, the first few rounds all the talk was how much the refereeing had improved and how the new system of handling the video ref was much better. It all looked so promising but then they have come up with some clangers, which in my opinion when it comes to the video ref are completely inexcusable

I don't know whether it is just a coincidence but to me, the refereeing standard dropped following the amendment to the obstruction rule which came into force in Round 5. Refer:

http://www.nrl.com/obstruction-rule-amended/tabid/10874/newsid/71502/default.aspx

and

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Obstruction-Rule-Amended

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7