WHERE'S MANLY'S ATTACK GONE?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't think Gutherson is ready. Looks like Morrissey and tackles like him too.

We've got more than enough talent in the 17 at the moment, just not getting the best out of it on a regular basis.

sorry , if this a stupid question .....

whats happening with chee kam , is he not ready for 1st grade or is he injured..

i was hearing this guy was an up coming star

panash said:
Jatz Crackers said:
Injured still. Not far away though I think.

thanks jatz... do you think theres a spot for him this year ??
i have never seen him play

Well he has the skill to, but I somehow doubt we will see him this year without it being forced through injuries.

Can make an impressive tackle break but not that sure how he will go defensively in 1sts. It will be interesting to see how he pans out into next year competing with with Hasson & JSL etc for spots after a hopefully injury free off season.

Chee-Kam has had a rotten start with Manly. Needed a minor op shortly before the season started and didnt get a game until about the fourth round. Then soon after he was injured again and has been out ever since. Is supposed to be back about now.

I watched a couple of games with this kid playing for Canberra U20s last year. Similar style to Menzies and does have a talent for breaking tackles. Is also quite fast. Defensively he handled himself well and covered a lot of ground cutting off potential breaks. He's the real deal but one wonders if he is going to hit peak condition before seasons end and a chance at first grade. he was being earmarked for an early introduction to firsts.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
For what it's worth, Manly website has Chee Kam due back Round 14. Brett Stewart also due Round 14, King listed as 'indefinite'.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
For what it's worth, Manly website has Chee Kam due back Round 14. Brett Stewart also due Round 14, King listed as 'indefinite'.

That in Manly speak is about rd 18 for both and the season for king.

Running 4th, 2 losses out of the past 7, play pretty ordinary but only lose by 2...and some people are calling for wholesale changes?

Bringing up unproven kids (like gutherson....and who would you drop?) is not really the answer is it?

Yeah overkill central. The warriors have most potential in comp were going to play good footy eventually, we have won 9 out of last 10 v them. We beat them in 2 big games 2008 prelim and 2011 gf. Look we are in small slump but honestly can we complain our boys compete every week.
Look at it this way the bunnies and roosters are playing at there peak already, we have not shown our best and out most important player out during this period. I would love to see us lose only 2 to 3 more before finals.
We will be fine.

lsz said:
Running 4th, 2 losses out of the past 7, play pretty ordinary but only lose by 2...and some people are calling for wholesale changes?

Bringing up unproven kids (like gutherson....and who would you drop?) is not really the answer is it?

My intent was to try to get some imagination into the selections. I was not suggesting wholesale changes...that's your interpretation. I was suggesting that its time to look at options because though the defence is excellent, the attack is well below par and has been for much of the past 18 months...or hadnt you noticed.

I agree to tinkering but I am interested in who you would like to drop / and who comes in for them

A pet hate of mine is the argument of putting a small back into the hooker role. Sure they would add some spark but who will step up to do all the clean up work ballin does?

Without the three big boppers it was inevitable our go forward would suffer. You have to give Toovey and the coaching staff a bit of time to adjust, and see how that goes. I mean they played some big boys on Saturday and only went down by 2. I imagine they'll have a bit more of a tinker before Friday. I don't think it's as bad (the attack) as what some seem TBH.

Surely we have a prop type player (sorry, there arnt any props any more apparently) we can promote from harold matts

Fluffy said:
Surely we have a prop type player (sorry, there arnt any props any more apparently) we can promote from harold matts

Technically coachingly speaking we sure dont. Ballin will be thankful not to be called a prop seeing as he also in the front row.

lsz said:
I agree to tinkering but I am interested in who you would like to drop / and who comes in for them

A pet hate of mine is the argument of putting a small back into the hooker role. Sure they would add some spark but who will step up to do all the clean up work ballin does?

Isz I'm not a coach and I'm not trying to pretend to be. But it seems to me that somehow the existing combination is not clicking. Now I'm not in fact making a definitive statement regarding what should happen. That's up to the coach. All I'm trying to do is throw in a few names, a few suggestions, a few ideas.

Sure some of those ideas may not be functional. But if Manly hopes to have a chance this year I suspect they are going to have to come up with more than they are showing at present. Perhaps in the end they dont have the personnel to achieve that but that shouldnt stop them from trying something different.

You mentioned hooker positions. Frankly they are no longer just another forward position since competition for the ball went out of the game. Their primary role is like a second toughened half back, like Luke, Smith and Walters. Good defence but speed and evasiveness off the mark, and quick service from the ruck. I watched Gutherson for example recently in a couple of matches and he was acting like a fullback and roving hooker and doing it very well indeed. Of course I am not suggesting that role for him but maybe Chisholm may be able to share the position with Ballin to get a little variety. Ballins a great defender but he's not one to make many yards up the middle for example. Manly were most effective in the past with Ballin sharing the hooking position with a faster more agile player who set the play in motion.

Taufua has played centre and he is a formidable presence there. Sao has been showing the goods in the NSW Cup, so why not give him a go.

Point I'm trying to make is that the attack looks jaded. It needs spark and sometimes bringing in a player with skill into a side that is becoming predictable , is what is needed. That's why Hopoate was so effective.

But who that is, is not for me to decide. I'm just saying it looks to me like the team needs an input of something different and less predictable.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
I'd be interested to see how ben farrar went a hooker for 20-25 min a game, he's quick enough to take advantage of tiring defenses, not sure if he'd go ok or not but it'd be interesting if they tried him there in premier league at some stage.

Ballin is the back up Queensland hooker, how is a rookie who has never played the position going to be better than that ? Who should we drop from the centers to make room for George ? We kick goals, we may have won another couple, we catch the ball, we beat the warriors last week. IMO, we need to install a tip jar for dropped balls, every time one of the boys knock on they chuck in a grey ghost.

Who is going to do the 40-50 tackles that Ballin gets through every week ?

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4