1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to from here...

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Loobs, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,404 / 257
    Using this as the guide (geez it looks good too):

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-league/teams/manly-sea-eagles/

What is our next move? If we let say most of the remaining guys who aren't signed go, surely we can add another forward like Grub Bird plus replenish the depth. Chee Kam as an example was probably signed for more than what he was worth as he was the player of the year before joining us. Plus say Wolfie is on more than a young NSW Cup level player would be worth (e.g. Mamo). Think there is still more to come...

2. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,402 / 130
    Move 1 should be - Remove Zorba

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. mjb136

mjb136 MWSE fanatic Premium Member

sydney
    Ratings:
    +1,462 / 32
    Looks like there is a bit of money to free up at end of year.

4. robbiea

robbiea Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,598 / 63
    Where to from here ?
    The grand final ,that's where !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,404 / 257
    Also as far as $ goes, Matai and Ballin go into their new deals - not sure if they are golden handshake deals or for reduced amounts.

Assuming Killer moves to 5/8, then I think we need a starting calibre back rower and NSW Cup level young/tall/fast backs.

6. Andrew..

Andrew.. Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Alstonville
    Ratings:
    +1,904 / 27
    Last night on fox Toovey said we still have to cover the loss of Foran...I'd assumed (for financial reason) that we were going to cover that loss from within but apparently not.
    Exciting times ahead.

7. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,561 / 59
    Let's kick this mighty Chevy into action . Here we come . Christ there is going to be some worried sides in the near future and it's going to start Fri night .

8. Terry Zarsoff

Terry Zarsoff Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,553 / 68
    And move 2 and 3 and 4 and 5.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,839 / 103
    There is no 'must retains' in the list of off contract players, imo.
    My concern is the re-signing of two of my favourite players - Matai and Ballin - for two more seasons. As much as I have admired their play and devotion over the years, when I take off the maroon-coloured glasses I don;t think either will be a force in 2016 let alone 2017. It would be fitting if the club offered them to an English team for the next two seasons so they could help financially secure their future, then guarantee them jobs within the Manly organisation because both could fill training, coaching and mentoring roles.

10. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    I want to see MCK re-signed.

Why i hear you think

Well for 1 he is good enough for back up in NSW cup and his price would reflect this however that is not the reason, he has 2 brothers in the lower grades who are killing it. If either of those come through and become NRL players then the 2nd tier salary cap payments to MCK are justified.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Simonmyers11

Simonmyers11 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,033 / 97
    We can cover Matai with the depth we have. He does look like he is struggling this year. Even lyon looks so slow out wide this year. Crazy, considering both were fantastic only 9 months ago?
    Ballin tackles his heart out, but we need a more dangerous attacking hooker.

12. flying sea eagle

flying sea eagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 16
    Going off that zero-tackle list, as well as my own speculation that Lussick is signed we need another four players for the top 25. of the off contract players I would retain only Sao and (Lui at the right price). This would free up a fair chunk of money for which we only need another two/three players for the top 25. I'm not convinced there isn't enough there for a crack at Sam Burgess (Don't forget we're still paying $650k for Watmough this season plus 250k each for Mason, Chee-Kam and Horo). Then I'd fill the squad with some younger guys such as Ash Taylor, Jake Mamo, Matt Parcell as well as some home grown youngsters such as Liam Knight, Riley Travers, Will Pearsall and Addison Demetriou.

This would make the squad

Stewart
    Taufua
    Hiku
    Matai
    Trbojevic
    Lyon
    Cherry-Evans
    Myles
    Ballin
    Lawrence
    Leary
    Buhrer
    S Burgess

Trbojevic
    Mateo
    Starling
    Lussick

L Burgess
    Sao
    Symonds
    Sene-Lefao
    Hodges
    Gutherson
    Mamo
    Taylor
    Parcell
    Travers
    Knight
    Pearsall
    Demetriou

13. Duff

Duff Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +554 / 10
    Why Jake Mamo? We'll already be unable to fit our backline in at full strength. Are we trying to buy the NSW cup premiership too? I'd rather bring our own juniors through than risk losing them because they can't get a gig after we've poached everyone elses.

14. ShakeySeaEagle

ShakeySeaEagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 4
    While we still have Snake and Killer in our team we owe it to them to put a team on the park that can win the Grand Final next year, I believe Greg Bird would make us that.
    Outside of him I would like to sign Cornish to see if he could become a long term 6, let him and Travers compete for the chance to be 5/8 in 2017. Out of our off contract players this year (2015) Sao is the only one I would resign. The others I would let go due to age or ability.

STEWART, Brett (Last Season)
    2 GUTHERSON, Clinton
    3 HIKU, Peta
    4 MATAI, Steve
    5 TAUFUA, Jorge (Off Contract End of the year)
    6 LYON, Jamie (c) (Last Season)
    7 CHERRY-EVANS, Daly
    8 TRBOJEVIC, Jake
    9 BALLIN, Matt
    10 MYLES, Nate
    11 LEARY, Blake (Off Contract End of the year)
    12 BUHRER, Jamie (Off Contract End of the year)
    13 BIRD, Greg (Sign 2 years)

14 HODGES, Jayden (Off Contract End of the year)
    15 STARLING, Josh
    16 SAO, Ligi (Resign 2 years)
    17 SYMONDS, Tom (Off Contract End of the year)

18 TRBOJEVIC, Tom (Move to fullback 2017)
    19 WILIAME, Brayden (Last Season)
    20 BURGESS, Luke (Last Season) (Release if we have signed Lussick)
    LAWRENCE, Brenton (Last Season)
    22 MATEO, Feleti (Last Season)
    23 SENE-LEFAO, Jesse (Off Contract End of the year)
    24 TRAVERS, Riley (Resign 2 years)
    25 CORNISH, Mitch (Sign 2 years)

There is some serious young/prime talent off contract in 2016 that we would have good money to go after with the above players retiring.

Wing - Josh Mansour, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
    Centre - George Jennings, Michael Jennings, Robert Jennings, Brenko Lee, Joey Leilua, Dylan Walker, Jack Wighton
    5/8 - Jack Bird, Moses Mbye, Kodi Nikorima, Jackson Hastings, Luke Keary, Ashley Taylor
    Hooker - Apisai Koroisau, Kieran Moseley, Nathan Peats, Mitch Rein, James Segeyaro
    Prop - George Burgess, Thomas Burgess, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, David Klemmer
    Backrow - Boyd Cordner, Matt Gillett, Josh Jackson, Ethan Lowe, Robbie Rochow, Tariq Sims, Joel Thompson, Elijah Taylor

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,526 / 32
    Lot of Ironstines seem to post on there. Here are a few outstanding examples....
    hardenup
    Posted June 4, 2015 at 11:03 AM
    Alot of you loserd sound like scorned lovers. Break ups are never easy hahahahaha

moeszyslak
    Posted June 4, 2015 at 11:53 AM
    If all we need is an escape goat, I say we just let this one go –

goat-escaping-color-2.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,402 / 130
  17. Daddycool

Daddycool Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +283 / 2
    Where indeed. I'll need to make some assumptions, so here go's….

If Barrett is to be coach next year, he needs to come in as soon as possible, like next week. This year is a write off and we need to start preparations for next season and the future. He will have different ideas to Toovey and it'll be interesting to see what he does with certain players.

The reasons why we find ourselves dead last are a matter of conjecture and have been covered over and over. However, no one can deny our forwards haven't been up to it for going on 12 months now. Some of our backs are in the twilight of their careers but are still class players. Their struggles are being exacerbated by the forwards inability to dominate or at least achieve parity.

If Lussick is at the club in 2016, that's a big boost to our forward strength. Myles will bring plenty of experience and Jake will be even better next year. Leary has been terrific but in my opinion, should be in the 17 as the back up hooker to give Ballin a spell. Hodges is too 1 dimensional and Leary offers more.

We have a really good squad that isn't playing with any confidence or intent. The Dragons, Cowboys and Broncos look like they're excited to play each week. It's been a long time since we looked liked that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. robbiea

Ratings:
    +1,598 / 63
    I take this back ,must of been high.

19. Earnie the Eagle

Earnie the Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +359 / 16
    Bob, I would think that plumbing in Zorba's heart will take care of that problem.

20. robbiea

Ratings:
    +1,598 / 63
    All that ouzo & baklaava couldn't be good..