Where does Will Hopoate fit?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Gazza, I agree - it's time to move Matai into the backrow. Look at guys like Tongue. Not the biggest, but mobile, and powerful, and have a great run from dummy 1/2. Other smaller good backrowers are Gallen, Parker, Young and co. so it CAN be done.

BUT, I think Matai should be an 80 minute player. Full strength, I go with:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. William Hopoate
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams
06. Keiran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Matai
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Jamie Buhrer
15. George Rose
16. Joe Galuvao
17. Shane Rodney

Remember, Buhrer played Hooker in the juniors as well, but can be on the bench in case Ballin tires out, or if not, as another mobile forward.

In my opinion, we seem to lack a little when Ballin goes off the field. Especially in organisation and structure.

Tony Williams would be 18th man, as he could play all positions except 1, 7 & 9

He fits in exactly as he did today and last week, cover for injuries. Will is good now and'll get better but there's no point risking a very promising future by playing him too much.

He looks to have the makings of both a fine centre and/or fullback. Baring injury, Brett will be our long term fullback so by the time Lyon and Matai call it a day..... I can see him playing centre. Naturally he could play on the wing but provided they hold onto Wolfie and Oldfield, we're covered there.

A few years ago I thought his career would follow the path of fellow kiwi Ruben Wiki.  Start in the centres but by the end be a world class forward but I'm pretty sure Matai's neck problems and the history of getting "burners" which can leave him in pain everyonce in a while almost makes him too big a risk to play as a forward.

He was resigned primarily because they love the way he plays, and so do I.  But as I've said numerous times, he should have been sacrificed.  Hoppa is our clubs GI and Folau.  Young players are in a hurry these days, they don't want to play in reggies, esepcially if they believe they are good enough.  If we punt him back to the 2s when everyone returns you can rest assured that other clubs will be circling, promising him riches and more importantly a permanent first grade spot.

If my memory serves me correctly he signed a big 3 year deal which back in 2008 whch leaves this year the last of that deal.  I'm very worried, especially if we are to believe we don't have much room to move under the cap.

Masked Eagle link said:
A few years ago I thought his career would follow the path of fellow kiwi Ruben Wiki.  Start in the centres but by the end be a world class forward but I'm pretty sure Matai's neck problems and the history of getting \"burners\" which can leave him in pain everyonce in a while almost makes him too big a risk to play as a forward.

He was resigned primarily because they love the way he plays, and so do I.  But as I've said numerous times, he should have been sacrificed.  Hoppa is our clubs GI and Folau.  Young players are in a hurry these days, they don't want to play in reggies, esepcially if they believe they are good enough.  If we punt him back to the 2s when everyone returns you can rest assured that other clubs will be circling, promising him riches and more importantly a permanent first grade spot.

If my memory serves me correctly he signed a big 3 year deal which back in 2008 whch leaves this year the last of that deal.  I'm very worried, especially if we are to believe we don't have much room to move under the cap.

I was under the impression that he signed a 4 year incentive based contract that would run until he was about 20, thought he might be off contract at the end of next. Not 100% though.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Crusher was quoted on that TV show last year saying young blokes could only realy handle 4-5 NRL games in a row like that, so that may be the clubs thinking

If we look towards next year, as much as I hate to say it because he has been so good for us, it might be time to tap Robbo on the shoulder and get Hoppa that wing spot

NOOOOO wangman :( never!!

I can't remember the last time our whole backline was fit - With that, and the rep season coming up, even with Lyon and Matai are back, Hoppa will get games pretty regularly anyway..

nita link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=187119.msg327609#msg327609 date=1301218357]
Crusher was quoted on that TV show last year saying young blokes could only realy handle 4-5 NRL games in a row like that, so that may be the clubs thinking

If we look towards next year, as much as I hate to say it because he has been so good for us, it might be time to tap Robbo on the shoulder and get Hoppa that wing spot

NOOOOO wangman :( never!!

I can't remember the last time our whole backline was fit - With that, and the rep season coming up, even with Lyon and Matai are back, Hoppa will get games pretty regularly anyway..
[/quote]

before yesterday I was thinking the same thing about Robbo, but he pulled out a Robbo from old performance and showed us he still has a good bit of toe left, glad its Dessies decision but I would hate to lose the likes of Hoppa, Whare and Oldfield to other clubs

Robbo, Hoppa, Lyon, Matai, Wolfman, Oldfield, Whare, Trex.

We are blessed in the backline for sure this year - what a problem for Des. I would guess that like it or not Des will look to free up cash in the next few years and that at sometime soon players like Robbo, and Kite, King etc who won a Grand Final with us will either retire or head to England, until then the others will have to wait for suspension, injury or representative duties to get a run, which I would guess would be fairly often.

Where there's Will there's a way: unassuming rookie grabs dad a double
Glenn Jackson
March 28, 2011
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/where-theres-will-theres-a-way-unassuming-rookie-grabs-dad-a-double-20110327-1cbyo.html

JOHN HOPOATE was always considered a rather brash and even cocky player, but his son, the latest Manly star, is displaying rather dissimilar traits. In scoring two tries yesterday in the Sea Eagles' 26-12 win over Newcastle, Will Hopoate was remarkably humble.

''It's just a bit of luck,'' Hopoate said of his double. ''All the forwards, they're doing the hard work. I've just got to catch the ball and dive over the line.''

Not quite. The 18-year-old, one of nine Hopoate children, carried multiple Knights defenders over the line and squeezed the ball on to the grass after being dumped on his back. It was anything but a simple catch and dive.

Advertisement: Story continues below
''I think I was just a bit lucky there,'' Hopoate said. ''One of the Newcastle boys just turned me over, so thanks to them. It was a good ball off 'Snake' [fullback Brett Stewart]. I just hit the hole, and luckily I was able to put it down.''

Manly coach Des Hasler was a little more forthcoming. ''He's been tremendous, Will,'' he said. ''He's just a real confident young kid, doesn't get too far ahead of himself and just works really hard at his game. He's really stepped up. Two weeks in a row now, he's come up with important tries for us.''

John wasn't on hand yesterday to watch his son, at least live. ''He's stuck at home with all the kids. Too many to bring down here. [But] he's a big influence. He helps me out a lot, telling me to get involved and giving me tips on where to improve.''

Off contract at the end of this season, Hopoate is hopeful of extending his time with the Sea Eagles. His performances so far should ensure that happens. ''Hopefully we'll sort it out sooner rather than later,'' Hopoate said.

But it was no ''out with the old, in with the new'' occasion for the Sea Eagles. Winger David Williams, who missed the entire last season with a shoulder injury, also scored two tries, signalling his return as a premiership force.

And, of course, back-line star Stewart made a successful return to Brookvale Oval after almost two years away due to knee troubles.

''We're very happy with his progress, and he's only going to get better,'' Hasler said.

It was a significant game for the Sea Eagles, and Hasler also hopes it will turn out to be a significant weekend. After the NSW Liberal Party's overwhelming victory in the state election on Saturday, the coach made his latest plea for more funding to redevelop Brookvale.

''I think there is now a real commitment,'' Hasler said. ''There's a real chance here now to repay the people on the peninsula …''

Gazza link said:
[quote author=Rex link=topic=187119.msg327694#msg327694 date=1301221544]
Can't see Des doing it, but Hoppa would stay in my top team, no question.  And the more ball in his hands, the better.

Exactly, which is why i'd keep him at centre -
1.Stewart
2.Robbo.
3.Hopoate
4.Lyon
5.Wolf
17.Matai

Less game time for Matai, less chance of injury/suspension - can only be beneficial.
[/quote]mate u underestimate just how much kiwi Steve brings to our side. Back to nsw cup for hoppa until he's needed again :).

Masked Eagle link said:

Yep, reported in June '08 as 3 years and $300k. Hopefully the drawer is full of pens.

Cambo link said:
[quote author=Gazza link=topic=187119.msg327710#msg327710 date=1301222484]
[quote author=Rex link=topic=187119.msg327694#msg327694 date=1301221544]
Can't see Des doing it, but Hoppa would stay in my top team, no question.  And the more ball in his hands, the better.

Exactly, which is why i'd keep him at centre -
1.Stewart
2.Robbo.
3.Hopoate
4.Lyon
5.Wolf
17.Matai

Less game time for Matai, less chance of injury/suspension - can only be beneficial.
[/quote]mate u underestimate just how much kiwi Steve brings to our side. Back to nsw cup for hoppa until he's needed again :).
[/quote]

Right on Cambo.

Hoppa Jr. doesn't need to be rushed into the top 17 & it's probably beneficial for his career to be held back for a bit. Let him compete in the NSW cup & get his body used to the more intense physical contact & speed of the game. He'll get plenty of game time in FG as well with Dave Williams, Lyon & Matai in the squad.

Matai is very underrated, I definitely don't want to see him go too early as it will end up burning us big time.

Ryan link said:
Gazza, I agree - it's time to move Matai into the backrow. Look at guys like Tongue. Not the biggest, but mobile, and powerful, and have a great run from dummy 1/2. Other smaller good backrowers are Gallen, Parker, Young and co. so it CAN be done.

BUT, I think Matai should be an 80 minute player. Full strength, I go with:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. William Hopoate
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams
06. Keiran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Matai
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Jamie Buhrer
15. George Rose
16. Joe Galuvao
17. Shane Rodney

Remember, Buhrer played Hooker in the juniors as well, but can be on the bench in case Ballin tires out, or if not, as another mobile forward.

In my opinion, we seem to lack a little when Ballin goes off the field. Especially in organisation and structure.

Tony Williams would be 18th man, as he could play all positions except 1, 7 & 9

Three back rowers on the bench?  Also I cant see how Gallen is seen as a 'small' backrower.  The guy is massive. 

Cambo, i definately dont underestimate Steve. He has always been of my faves, his dummy half runs when our big boys are buggered and his big hits in defence when needed add so much to our team, however for his career and even another contract with us, I think he should be utilised off the bench for impact. He can then play centre or backrow.

Hoppa is a gem! He will be real handy during the middle of the season when rep commitments will cripple some clubs. I agree with giving him that taste for the top grade and allow him to ply his trade in 20's for a bit. Get him back in the side when there is a "freshen up" required, and get him ready for the finals, and then for next year.

Manly should throw the chequebook at him. He'll be a superstar in 2 years.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4