Where does Watmough play next week?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Watching the game on fox on the weekend Warren Smith made the comment that Choc had not made a line break all year and as any Manly fan would know (and fortunately Laurie Daley pointed out) this is because he hasn't been playing on the left edge.

Well he did on Sunday and five line breaks later where do we put him against the Panthers?

I would give Harrison the job of cleaning up the middle third with the thirteen on his back (which Choc has been doing so beautifully) and have TRex on the bench.

When TRex comes on Watmough can move back to that middle third role and Harrison who is only new to first grade gets a break from the intensity of plugging all those holes and making those tough metres that our thirteen has traditionally handled (L Williamson, Rodney).

Problem with this - if TRex is thinking about signing somewhere else, coming off the bench for us might upset him.

Benefits with this - TRex will be a bit underdone for match fitness for a couple of games, if he has or does sign elsewhere we have Choc playing where he destroyed 09 getting back into that blitzing leg speed and drive style of play off Foran (who has improved immeasurably as a ball player compared to 09 and 10) taking it to the line.

Any thoughts?

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Choc has changed his role. He's pretty much an 80 minute workhorse these days. I think he's our most underutilised player in attack as I think if he was running off DCE and Foran he could still be a weapon, but we need him doing what he's doing every week probably a bit more.

Good point Top end Eagle.

I think with Chocs speed footwork and strength you do have to use him more in attack with out doubt , i love when choc hits the hole and burst's through. He has shown he can play the attacking role and also the work horse type role. I spose the problem is full strength you want T-rex , Gift and Choc all playing as many minutes as possible so this would mean choc back doing the tough stuff.

Harrison though i think your right , could definitely play a similar role in the middle of the field.

Good post TEE. I agree with most of what you say. However, I will add this. T-Rex needs to be played when and where he benefits the team the most. If that means coming off the bench then so be it. We can't let contract negotiations dictate when and where the coach uses a player.

We are a team in every sense of the word. I know I have underestimated the bond this Manly playing unit has. I think it is so tight that teams will have to throw amazing amounts of money at any of them to sign them. I thought we would lose one or two. Now I'm inclined to believe we will hang on to them all.

Wait for the "PLAYER DRAFT IS A MUST" headlines when we have successfully re-signed them all!

I tend to agree with the idea of Choc and Harrison starting with T-Rex off the bench. It is a bit of an embarrasment of riches really, but the good news is that Choc's performance on the weekend has reassured me that we will be fine if T-Rex does decide to leave. I think I had actually forgotten how good he was in his old role. I feel ashamed...

What body type is Stuart looking for again? A powder puff like Creagh? Choc can do anything!

Interesting that Top End Eagle has mentioned T-Rex needing more games to be match ready. I wondered myself why Stuart would pick him after a 7 week layoff.

A - He's not an 80 minute player. If he was he wouldnt have been picked. You dont need match fitness to play 30-40 minutes, regardless of the level/intensity. He has been in full training the whole time.

clontaago said:
A - He's not an 80 minute player. If he was he wouldnt have been picked. You dont need match fitness to play 30-40 minutes, regardless of the level/intensity. He has been in full training the whole time.

To me you need to be super fit just to get through the pre-game warm-up.

The Who said:
To me you need to be super fit just to get through the pre-game warm-up.

I actually think you require quite a bit of fitness to cheer for the boys from the hill. It can be exhausting!

I remember when Matai came back from a long suspension. His performances were outstanding.

If Tony has any issues from this lay off it won't have anything to do with fitness. With these past nine weeks he's had the benefit of training to a level no one else within the club would have been capable off as he didn't have to undergo match recovery.

If he came back from injury it would obviously be a different story.

I also like Choc playing on the fringes where his speed and footwork cause plenty of damage. The problem is if you move Choc who's goin to step up and make the tough metres up the middle?

Our starting frontrowers struggle to lay the platform needed, and if you move Choc our go forward would be a huge worry.

It typifies the type if guy Choc is, putting the team first sacrificing best part if his game.

DSM5 said:
Interesting that Top End Eagle has mentioned T-Rex needing more games to be match ready. I wondered myself why Stuart would pick him after a 7 week layoff.

His efforts in that 7 weeks have been every bit as good as Ben Creaghe. So he becomes an automatic selection.

Why do they need specific spots in attack? Maybe the three backrowers should rotate around between the roles. This would create some indecision amongst opposition defences and you would get 80mins out of all three. T-rex at times would be great doing the hard running up the guts with Choc out wide and visa versa.

You can't not start with both of them. T-Rex can do the left edge work with Choc roaming between left and right edges. His game on Sunday was his best since last year. Once he straightens up that leg speed kicks in and it's happy days.

Harrison was awesome on Sunday but he missed some shocking tackles and is still a work in progress.

according to NRL stats choc made only 1 linebreak and 4 tackle breaks on Sunday.

Trex in his 3 games this year made 4 linebreaks and 25 tackle breaks.

Trex's stats are better than chocs in that departments, thats why he will play on the left.

Personally i would like them to switch a bit and even better have them both running of Foz, one straight and one angle in every now and then.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6