Where does this leave Parcell?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I was watching the game with half a dozen footy heads,half manly,half neutral and apart from the joy of winning,the entire conversation centred on his lack of ability to hit a runner with any speed or accuracy.From left to right I have to turn my head away.I had an U15 Burleigh kid with a better pass.

This is not a bagging of him as a competitor and I like his presence on the bench but my God,if people see him as a long term nine I give up.

I was watching the game with half a dozen footy heads,half manly,half neutral and apart from the joy of winning,the entire conversation centred on his lack of ability to hit a runner with any speed or accuracy.From left to right I have to turn my head away.I had an U15 Burleigh kid with a better pass.

This is not a bagging of him as a competitor and I like his presence on the bench but my God,if people see him as a long term nine I give up.

He has me flummoxed too Susan.

I am on record as saying he passes like a labourer throwing bricks.

But heck, he seems to effect a lot of positives on the field.

@susan you articulated it better than I could, but it's kind of what I was thinking - when we used guys like L'Estrange as interchange hookers in the past, we lost a bit on the crisp, accurate passing (which you wouldn't want to sacrifice for an entire match), but gained a bit of spark and unpredictability. Good in short bursts, but against quality opposition that delay in getting the ball out of dummy half accurately would/has/does cost us big time.

My other concern with Api is defence - he did ok last night, but against a really solid forward pack I'd trust Parcell's defence far more.

Seriously snake the only clown here is people who call others clowns for having a different opinion. Parcell plays tonight we win by the same type of margin. The results are coming from DCE and Killer in the halves and some improved forward play by Darcy , AFB etc.

Api is good, but he is not the reason we won last night or have played better in the last two games.
Easy Tiger it was a bit of light hearted humour; I said Api for PM!

The one thing I'm sure of. At full strength Lewis Brown has no place in our team. I can't say the same about both Api or Parcell.

Great thread

I rather be in our position having 2 genuine / good number 9's fighting it out for a position rather than our club have no good players in this position at all.

I don't know who best fits the number 9 position but they both have to be in our future 1st grade team when both are fully fit, they are both 1st grade quality.

Recall how DCE's pass to Wiliame for the final try looked last night. Warren Smith called it a Harbour Bridge pass because it arced like the top of the bridge. But then remember that it was a 20 metre cut out pass.

Api's passes from dummy half do that 9 times out of 10 and that is for a 2-3 metre pass. Short passes from dummy half shouldn't arc and shouldn't be hitting their target up around the chin. They should be clean, crisp and hit their target no higher than the bread basket.

@susan is 100% correct.

Add to the fact that Parcell is a better defender (less missed tackles....Api missed 5 last night while the rest of the team missed 7 between them) and I think he should be our #9 with Api as his back up.

Last edited:
I know we're supposed to have signed Blake Green, but if we actually haven't then Api at 5/8 and Parcell at hooker might do ok. The only thing I don't like about a DCE/Api halves combo is that DCE works better with an organiser so he can just play what's in front of him and I am not sure that Api is that type of player.

no I agree maybe Api may not be that sort of player ... maybe Parcell at 5/8

@nightster I do like the idea of trying Parcell at 5/8, but with the rumoured signing of Blake Green to play in the halves from next year I think we're better off with Matty at hooker and Api on the bench as the utility.

@susan

My other concern with Api is defence - he did ok last night, .

he's made heaps of tackles including clean ups in most of the games he's played in .... I agree his passing could be crisper but then Parcel's haven't all been on the chest either ...
I have actually been disappointed in Parcel except for maybe his first few games .... but he didn't have a very good forward game to go forward with
I must say its one of our nicer problems having two good No 9s ..

yeah Holden V8
it would be good to see what he could do there ... he came with wraps as a hooker 5/8 ... but I agree if we have Blake Green its unlikely we will see him at 5/8 especially if Issac John is returning from injury Personally I'm happy with our backs as played last night ...

Austpost often leave my parcels at the front door, even when i'm not home. But nothing has ever 'been stolen' - touch wood.

I really don't think it's a contest at the moment because we are playing the best we have all year and Api is a big part of that. As soon as Parcell goes down injured we start tearing through the middle and we have scored over 60 points in two outings.

Last night we were in a bit of strife because we had a glutton of possession and couldn't get over the stripe. Enter Api with his creativity and he jagged us a try that set the ball rolling; it was a huge play because score board pressure is telling in those types of games and if Saints kept turning us away they would have grown in confidence and maybe even gone down the other end and registered points.

Basically all our points came from individual plays and opportunism. Our attack in the red zone last night was almost laughable at times(the Buhrer kick try set was simply disgraceful) as our play makers are always under pressure due to the ridiculous loop passes. You can get away with that against rubbish like the dragons but good teams with line speed will eat you alive if you do that.

This is the first time we look like having any continuity in terms of our best personel in the backs and providing them with good service is essential.
BTW Apis passing is not ordinary, it is terrible.

Basically all our points came from individual plays and opportunism. Our attack in the red zone last night was almost laughable at times(the Buhrer kick try set was simply disgraceful) as our play makers are always under pressure due to the ridiculous loop passes. You can get away with that against rubbish like the dragons but good teams with line speed will eat you alive if you do that.

This is the first time we look like having any continuity in terms of our best personel in the backs and providing them with good service is essential.
Get real. Simply disgraceful? Geez you've never seen another team fail to get the ball to a half on the last tackle before?!
It's not ideal, but it's hardly disgraceful. The fact that Buhrer was able to execute a decent kick was a stroke of good luck.

DCE had the best game he has had all year and was taking the line on with vigour. George's first try was from a nice set play with a beautiful pass from Tom T...Walker's first was from the halves combining nicely...the first try of the night was creativity from our 9...the last try was another set play with a beautiful pass from DCE.

I never saw anything to suggest that the halves were put off by any passing. In fact, it looked like they both played their best games of the year to me.

He threw one or 2 poor passes get over it!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6