When players know their careers are coming to an end...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

captainskin

Reserve Grader
Lately, apart from seeing to much of Benji Marshall on the footy show, and even he may fall into this dilemma:
I've been noticing Andrew Ryan appearing week in and week out on various football shows on different channels; and now I'm seeing Nathan Hindmarsh's noggen pop up here and there.

I'm sure there are others that you guys have noticed, but this is my concern. It seems like when a player's career is winding back they are jumping on the media bandwagon as quickly as possible. This is fine since I know they have to look after their long term survival. But I think this effects their club performance; they get softer and not as determined on the field; there are other things on their mind apart from leading their teams with all their heart and soul... and a soft option must be in the back of their mind especially if their team is struggling.

The day I see a Manly player running the sideline and appearing constantly on football shows is the day I know they have gotten soft on the field and have other things on their minds.

I know it is good to see the occasional appearance of KF and others because it is their moment in the sunshine, but if it ever becomes a regular thing I will be concerned.

I think it depends of the personality of the player, some deal well with these distractions, media and publicity actually make them more determined and give them something extra to play for, some obviously clock off early and in effect start the new job while on the club payroll.

I don't think it would be fair to pre-judge a player based on a black and white rule like the one you suggested.

Wrong, Cameron Smith now has to adhere to his 3rd party agreement with fox since his scum cheating club got caught out...

Guys appear a lot cause its common for 3rd party deals to be with TV networks now.

Channel 9 has 3rd party deals with Benji & Beau Ryan (hence why they do Footy Show), Anthony Minichiello (Weekend Today Show), Nathan Hindmarsh, Billy Slater, Darren Lockyer, Jamal Idris, Mark Gasnier and Sam Burgess. A few other players have appearance deals.

Fox has deals with Cameron Smith, Braith Anasta, Jamie Soward and previously Brett Kimmorley.

Papers also have deals with guys for writing columns like Telegraph with Piggy Riddell and Gasnier.

As for others its normally cause they are Captains or they are the marquee talent who are the best with media. Ennis' career is nowhere near over but he does tons of appearances cause he is their marquee and has media experience. Andrew Ryan is the Captain, a most clubs the man with the little 'c' next to his name does media. Matt Ballin does a lot for us cause he enjoys it and Zorba puts him forward cause he knows that he is experienced and won't do or say anything wrong.

I'm sure a few are thinking future but most of it comes down to who clubs offer and who the shows want cause they are eitehr a star or a fan favourite. That and players get paid pretty hansomely for appearing even without deals, and if there is one thing everyone should know about footballers it is that they are always looking for a freebie and some extra coin.

I do hope that Bobcat does get picked up for another season(for the 'doggies). Let him get his 300 and then let him go the season after.

On the field Hindy shows he's a big plodding forward (with plenty of crack!).

On the commentary side - he speaks well, he doesn't use the mandatory football no-clues English eg They done good. Youse are going good.

Get rid of dumd-as-dog-poo Freddy & replace him with Hindy. No qualms there.

eagles2win said:
I do hope that Bobcat does get picked up for another season(for the 'doggies). Let him get his 300 and then let him go the season after.

I met him once (years ago) a good country boy and yes he deserves to get his 300...although hasn't been playing that well of late, so maybe not.

Sign him up dogs so another old slow player can keep a younger more agile forward out of their pack. Realistically he should just go to ESL for a superannuation payout. Hindmarsh should do the same.

Mark from Brisbane said:
eagles2win said:

I met him once (years ago) a good country boy and yes he deserves to get his 300...although hasn't been playing that well of late, so maybe not.

He is a Dubbo Boy

A perception on this (Tigers fans) could be that doing media interviews is a necessary part & parcel of the game when compared with someone who spends time actively developing media content like Beau Ryan with "Beau Knows".

Jatz Crackers said:
A perception on this (Tigers fans) could be that doing media interviews is a necessary part & parcel of the game when compared with someone who spends time actively developing media content like Beau Ryan with "Beau Knows".

Beau's newest segement will be called "Beau Knows to keep a Tigers contract he has to be good mates with Benji or Robbie"

MK Eagle said:
Just a thought - last season the game that imo changed everything & left me feeling empty was that Roosters game. Leading well & dominating Seaeagles could have been in front by 30. Just as quickly the wheels fell off & they blew us away with runaway tries, injuries, suspensions & confidence shot for the remainder of the season. This year when Manly played Roosters -they looked to be on top but with some guts & Fozza's shots it swung the momentum back in our favour. Since then the youngsters grew an extra 3 foot & the teams belief has shot through the roof with special credit to the halves & massive attitude all round. Since THAT game i believe we have played into the form on show now. Dont know what made me look at this - maybe bored but i think it somehow makes sense - if i need an uppercut so be it...:p

captainskin said:
Lately, apart from seeing to much of Benji Marshall on the footy show, and even he may fall into this dilemma:
I've been noticing Andrew Ryan appearing week in and week out on various football shows on different channels; and now I'm seeing Nathan Hindmarsh's noggen pop up here and there.

I'm sure there are others that you guys have noticed, but this is my concern. It seems like when a player's career is winding back they are jumping on the media bandwagon as quickly as possible. This is fine since I know they have to look after their long term survival. But I think this effects their club performance; they get softer and not as determined on the field; there are other things on their mind apart from leading their teams with all their heart and soul... and a soft option must be in the back of their mind especially if their team is struggling.

The day I see a Manly player running the sideline and appearing constantly on football shows is the day I know they have gotten soft on the field and have other things on their minds.

I know it is good to see the occasional appearance of KF and others because it is their moment in the sunshine, but if it ever becomes a regular thing I will be concerned.

I definitely agree with your post's sentiment and occasionally I feel like to a much much much much lesser extent, Wolfman's media commitments like triple J etc, can affect his preparation or focus but I normally snap myself out of it.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8