1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel’s glory boys

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Guest, May 6, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Manly Daily 5 May 10

AS a diehard Manly fan, Sunday, October 5, 2008, is a date Geoff Ferris will never forget.

That’s the day his beloved Sea Eagles last won the NRL premiership, but it’s not the only reason it’s close to his heart.

While Mr Ferris didn’t get to celebrate with his mates after the big game, an early night brought an even bigger celebration nine months later - the arrival of twins Ben and Matt.

Mr Ferris explains: “We were ready to kick on but my mates had to call their wives and get them to pick up the kids (who had come to the game).

“If we’d all gone straight to the club we would’ve got in OK, but by the time the wives came a big crowd had amassed outside.”

Accepting defeat for the first time that day, the happy punters caught cabs home.

“My wife was absolutely ecstatic because she was expecting me home the next morning,” he said. “And about a month later we found out that we were expecting a kid, and that ended up turning into twins.

“It’s a true story and if I had got into the club that night I would’ve been in the bad books for quite some time and we never would have had these two little bundles of joy.”

Nine months later, when the twins were welcomed into the world, Mr Ferris and wife Genevieve settled on the names Ben and Matt, in honour of Manly’s past two captains Matt Orford and Ben Kennedy.

It’s stories such as this that brought Sea Eagles fans out in force on the weekend, pledging their support for the future of Brookvale Oval.

“It’s such an icon for peninsula people,” Mr Ferris said. “Some of my very earliest memories are of going to Sea Eagles games with my family all getting together and going to the ground. I want that to continue.”

Geoff you had better have the snip before Manly wins its next premiership. 

I cannot work out why you didn't call your daughter Jason after your hero princess?

2. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    haha gold

By the way Articles >> Submit Articles

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It doesn't seem to work when I submit via articles.

4. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    Sensational. Wheely good!

Now we have a formula to increasing the population on the Northern Beaches. More Manly premierships.

5. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
  6. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    It doesn't seem to work when I submit via articles.
    [/quote]

Go to the front page >> Articles >> Submit articles.

There is a javascript error I need to change

7. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    Very very good.

Make sure you clip that story out of the paper to show the kids later on. And Wheel........its your kids that are famous.

8. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    Gee you must have done a Robbo Wheel (not so much a wang dance as a hattrick)

9. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Jesus, when I saw the name Geoff I thought I was reading about that old Sideline Eye character haha

10. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,793 / 122
    Funny story! What goes around comes around... you did the right thing!!

11. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    So did I

12. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    So much to say, so little time.

13. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,793 / 122
    Now that I realise who you are . .  well done also on all your comments on the council's Brookval Oval forum. Hope we are still there for your kids to enjoy.

14. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
    Thanks SER8 just doing my best to ensure the silent majority are heard - I will need a bit of help in the coming months I feel.

It is pleasing that the Mayor  Micheal Regan has great vision and knows the potential of Brookie.  Talking to him on Saturday gives me some confidence that Brookie will be our home and modern sporting venue in the years ahead.

15. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
      You could have slipped in a plug for Silvertails.