whats ONE thing you would change in our great game?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
There is more than one thing I'd change....

1) - Bring back one ref controlling the game. One ref, one interpretation, less confusion

2) - Golden point. Screw that, if its a draw, its a draw. At the very least make it Golden Try.

3) - Time limit on the video ref. If they haven't got it after one minute of replays.......

4) - No Todd Greenturd

5) - Nein honours their contract and show's the NRL live on GEM everywhere INCLUDING ADELAIDE!!!!!!!! (yep, we're STILL getting shafted here :( )

6) - Long term club players. Anyone who plays for 1 club for 10 years gets half price on the salary cap even if they've never played rep footy

7) - If the refs stuffed up then a coach should be able to say so without the fear of a $10k fine (though Stuarts was deserved IMO). Referee's should not be immune from criticism. Do you hear me Shame Shayne?

8) - Someone OTHER than the Donkey's on Friday nights. Same with Ray Hadley. Bring back Andrew Voss.

And last but definitely not least.....

9) - Scrums.
9.1) - Watching the Aussie scrum on Spidercam in the Anzac Test was enough to bring tears to an old forward. I've seen U/12's form a better scrum
9.2) - Forwards only in a scrum. Seeing fullbacks and wingers packing in at lock......yeah ok

Sorry, couldn't stop at just one change. When it gathers momentum its hard to stop.

Need to stop the video ref adjudicating on foul play. If the on field ref misses it then the game goes on, that person however may still be charged for the piece of foul play, but it stops players laying down and taking soccer style dives.

This along with banning the shoulder charge and any kind of physical confrontation is seriously damaging what rugby league is at its heart....a brutal physical contest, which is what 95% of fans want to see. Again not thuggery, I don't want to see Les Boyd breaking brohmans jaw or just cheap shots. But two players going at each other is the essence of league.

Dont want to harp on it, but a salary cap system, that rewards both players and clubs who remain together the longer the time goes on, thus creating more club legends like Beaver, Lockyer and Johns.

if a player is forced to leave the field due to foul play, and the offender is put on report, then the offending player is forced to be off the field for the same amount of time.

Every week there are players put on report and it is the team the following week that get the advantage. This change would penalise the teams immediately, but more to the point, NOT disadvantage the team that had the player fouled.

Perfect example - Slaters hit on Williams - Manly are down to 16 players and forced to play players out of position. Melbourne pay no penalty at all during the game. That's not right.

Ryan said:
Dont want to harp on it, but a salary cap system, that rewards both players and clubs who remain together the longer the time goes on, thus creating more club legends like Beaver, Lockyer and Johns.

You harp on it all you want Ryan. It's something that needs to happen, & needs to happen now!

HoldenV8 said:
There is more than one thing I'd change....

1) - Bring back one ref controlling the game. One ref, one interpretation, less confusion

2) - Golden point. Screw that, if its a draw, its a draw. At the very least make it Golden Try.

3) - Time limit on the video ref. If they haven't got it after one minute of replays.......

4) - No Todd Greenturd

5) - Nein honours their contract and show's the NRL live on GEM everywhere INCLUDING ADELAIDE!!!!!!!! (yep, we're STILL getting shafted here :( )

6) - Long term club players. Anyone who plays for 1 club for 10 years gets half price on the salary cap even if they've never played rep footy

7) - If the refs stuffed up then a coach should be able to say so without the fear of a $10k fine (though Stuarts was deserved IMO). Referee's should not be immune from criticism. Do you hear me Shame Shayne?

8) - Someone OTHER than the Donkey's on Friday nights. Same with Ray Hadley. Bring back Andrew Voss.

And last but definitely not least.....

9) - Scrums.
9.1) - Watching the Aussie scrum on Spidercam in the Anzac Test was enough to bring tears to an old forward. I've seen U/12's form a better scrum
9.2) - Forwards only in a scrum. Seeing fullbacks and wingers packing in at lock......yeah ok

Sorry, couldn't stop at just one change. When it gathers momentum its hard to stop.

Just about spot-on mate; although I disagree with you on Stuart's 10k fine. Very mild and unprovocative for mine.

Add a bit more ''natural justice'' for the weasels...can you imagine many stepping out of line if Solo Haumono was still riding shotgun out there! Also the return of a shoulder-charge, with penalties of course for any attack on the head...

And you'd have an immensely better ''product''.

Every year we have one round , say round 3, where all the teams are coached by the coach of another team. EG: MWSE are coached by Bellamy or Bennett, etc.Determined by draw out of hat. System excludes Ricky Stuart, Raiders to be coached by Ricky as usual :)

2007 premiership officially awarded to Manly.

Ok, that may not be the one thing (cue you old fuddy duddies complaining about parra getting the 2009 one then) but this is an interesting thread.

Should be made into a poll.

Bearfax said:
Alan said:
My problem is with the authority of the video ref's. I believe the sole arbitrator should be the ref on the field that was given the job.

I detest the fact, that when a video ref clearly makes a clanger, the ref (who has seen the same replays) can't tell the video ref he is a numb-nut and over-rule him.

Alan as has been mentioned before a ref on a field cannot hope to be as accurate with decisions as those watching it on video and for that matter, we the TV audience. To revert back to on field ref decisions would be suicidal to the game that is now under so much visual scrutiny, just as the problem in cricket is.

If we didnt see what we see on TV, your suggestion would have merit. But we do and leaving it to on field refs would lead to consistent suggestions of incompetence and bias of the umpiring system. Just as in cricket, we are stuck now with video evidence, and 90% of the time its accurate, which is far more than we can expect of on field refs.

I suspect on field ref decisions will increasingly seek video support and therefore its in that area we must seek to improve the accuracy. Leave the on field refs to deal with general on field policing. But border line decision making must now be left to competent video analysis lest our game become a travesty.

It my even come a time when many of these decisions are made by computer analysis just as in cricket we now have 'hot spots', 'snick registering', 'no ball decisions' etc. Its coming and we just have to accept technology gives us a more accurate assessment of on field incidents

All you say is relevant and makes sense bigbear.

my main issue is not with how the decision is reached but who is making the decision. Rather than discount the technology, I am suggesting that it would be easy and quick via mini cabs to get the technology to the on-field ref. (who is equally qualified but has the benefit of "real time empathy" in many situations such as the interference calls.

We have consistant accusations of incompetence and bias now, the difference is the frustration level of fans is expotential when caused by a faceless jerk in a back room.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6