what would get you watching the footy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Time for a different type of rebel game, a super league if you will

From Todays Daily Telegraph:

"NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said: “We are still finalising reviews of round three but across the opening rounds the quality of the football and the standard of the refereeing has been excellent."

Todd, if that rates as excellent in your book then I agree with John Sattler, the game is doomed within ten years. I am astonished that greenturd even has a job.

Ralphie said:
"NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said: “We are still finalising reviews of round three but across the opening rounds the quality of the football and the standard of the refereeing has been excellent."
Oh. Great news. What was I thinking?

This can't be right. A Dogs man saying Toddy's game is actually more dangerous than entertaining.

However, what concerns Mortimer is that injuries like this could happen again in future if defenders continue to use techniques to try to slow down the play-the-ball.

The answer? Get rid of the 10 metre rule and bring the defensive line closer to the ruck.

“The players are trying to buy time to get back 10 metres,” Mortimer told Fox Sports News and foxsports.com.au.

“Players are buying time by going over the top and then someone comes to get the legs.

“That’s what’s happened there - Alex McKinnon’s ducked his head and flipped over. There’s no intention there but it just happened that way.

“The administrators of the game have got to think, ‘is 10 metres too far?’

“We need to look at the history of rugby league. It first started with one yard. Twenty or 30 years later it went to three yards. Then in my time it went to five metres. And now they’ve doubled it.

“When they’re making a tackle, the defenders will go one up top, one through the middle, and they hold or wrestle or whatever. Then all of a sudden someone comes up like Alex McKinnon, who was on one foot, and it goes wrong.”

Mortimer is the second rugby league legend in two days to warn NRL administrators that changes need to be made to the game.

In an interview for The Daily Telegraph, one of the most iconic figures in rugby league, former Souths premiership captain John Sattler, says he can no longer bear to watch the NRL.

According to Sattler, too many penalties are ruining the spectacle.

Mortimer believes that too would change if the 10 metre rule was scrapped in an effort to speed up the ruck.

“As for the too many penalties issue, they come from holding someone up or holding someone down or someone gets up and loses the ball,” Mortimer said.

“Even if they’re a lot fitter than back in my day, I think 10 metres is too big a call to get back.

“I know 10 metres is too much. Quite frankly if I was a halfback I would love it these days.

“I still think there’s plenty of scope for the chip over the top or the grubber through or whatever. But I don’t think it’s doing any favours for the game.

“Johnny Sattler has come out with that story because he wants people to know there’s something wrong with the game. But he’ll keep watching. He’s a legend of our sport. Why are we tackling up high? Did we ever here about wrestling back in my day?

“I think rugby league administration went too far with the changes to try to open up the game and create more tries. I don’t think it’s going to hurt for the NRL to sit down and ask ‘are we doing it right?”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/alex-mckinnon-injury-could-have-been-prevented-with-radical-change-to-rules-says-steve-mortimer/story-fndv33vy-1226864043926

Gawd, the 5 metre rule.....

Hurumpf hurumpf...why back in my day.....!

angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

• 👍
Reactions: Dan

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8