what would get you watching the footy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
TV- seriously I am so sick of the Broncos that unless they play Manly I will never ever watch them play. I will never watch the second game on a friday night. Unless the first game is a spectacle i wont watch it either. There is no way i will ever watch a game that has the tigers or parramatta involved. From reading i can see friday nights game with the tigpies was Ok but they have been in too many crap games for me to consider it again. Its a yawnfest

I want to see games that involve the chooks, bunnies, manly, melbourne, possible the sharks, dogs and maybe the penny panthers. Anything else and im off to the DVD shop . I once taped them and fast forward the games early the next day but I couldnt be bothered setting it up anymore

sunday. If you seriously want to tear me away from my family to watch the footy i need some commitment. I wont do it every week because i need balance but if ch 9 wants my remote they need 2 games on a sunday with some footy shows combined. If i could sit down at 1pm after lunch and get an arvo id consider opening a bottle of wine or going to the effort, but an ad filled pre dinner where i just get warmed up and have to stop mid beer to get sunday night on track is hardly worth the effort unless it involves my team

You may say foxtel, but screw foxtel. We dont need it, There are many ways to skin a cat

At the grounds
I moved to sydney a year ago and thought how good it would be to watch the footy more often. I went to 2 games last year and still booked accomodation and stayed over.I love the trip from Leichhardt to manly but its a pisser trying to get home after a night game with my son. It was bloody hard getting to the corso, with bus stops on both sides of the road, randomly stopping and never enough for capacity, when we booked there instead of the travel lodge. Sunday arvo or sat 5.30 or Tv or I pad for this little black duck. Simple as that. Although I am looking forward to us playing at Leichhardt in a few weeks

Im a consumer, we have dough to spend but the footy just doesnt offer me a product worth the hassel anymore. I actually went to more games in sydney when i lived in brisbane. And how easy was it to go to suncorp. even though i lived 20K away from suncorp, a 5 minute walk to the bus stop, catch a bus for free, get dropped off under the stadium in 25 minutes, go back there after the game, get whisked most of the way home. Sometimes it meant a $20 ride from there but i was dropped at a rank with 2 pubs or i could get a connecting bus. In some ways id support the stadium plans if it meant a coordinated effort by the league and the governments involved to make it work

Rugby league does a lot for a community and a state, health, a volunteer system, community ties, a career path with jobs, it brings cash to local businesses but no one works together

at least we have this arvos game, until some plonker with a whistle and an agenda wrecks whats left of my involvement with the footy

There is just way too many things for us to do in sydney and the world , that i will show up and pay my dough to watch a crap product. It you want my cash, ............entertain me. The league has shown me over many years that the loyalty expected is one sided. Im not an idiot so if you want me back,your going to have to buy me back because im saving for 25 countries, 3 more houses, 2 hatted restaurants and a boat because im a consumer

Nice rant :) I think a alot of people are getting increasingly frustrated with Rugby League. There are certain aspects that are a bloody joke like preferential treatment the Broncos get, whats the point of a salary cap when certain teams get a leg up in other ways like constant FTA coverage. The referring standard is absolute garbage with the pink cheats deciding almost all close games. The fact we are still having to watch Sunday afternoon football delayed in SD is pathetic.

Actually going to games at Brooky is a great experience but it seems the NRL want to take all games to Homebush and ruin the one thing i still love about Rugby League.

Are we talking at the game or on TV. If it's TV I only watch Manly games and even then I hate to watch it live because I get so annoyed at s**t refs. Live I would go to watch every Manly game if I still lived in Sydney.

I have mentioned many times that I am becoming disillusioned about the game in general.

This has come about mainly as a result of two things.

1) The TV Schedule (and I do realise I live in Brizvegas)

Why every game isn't live on TV bemuses me....Chan 9 have two channels USE THEM, Friday should have one on 9 and the other on...is it GEM, well whatever it is.

Sunday arvo could be kick off at 2.00pm (live on Foxtel) and 4.00pm (live on Chan 9) and 6.00pm (Live on Foxtel)......meaning there's just the 5.30pm and 7.30pm Saturday night games both live.

AND how come I can record on Foxtel the Friday night game, broadcast by Chan 9 and watch it later in HD but Chan 9 want to put it on in SD.....sorry people its 2014 not 1963 when Black and White reigned supreme!!

2) The standard of adjudication and the influence they have

I won't go on again (already mentioned a few times) but it gets worse and worse each year....I bet we'll see it again this afternoon, poor old Parra done like a dinner last week, lets penalise the other team to oblivion to ensure a tight game.

Its happening, and could happen today...if it does it will be yet another perfect example of how the game is being "rigged"....not I think for betting (although it could) but to create "better tighter games" and thus more appealing on TV.

I'm about to embark on a four month trip away in my caravan, I'll try and listen on radio or watch a few games if I can get to a pub, and will certainly try and at least get the scores BUT you know what......I don't really care if I don't.

5 years ago I probably watched every game that was shown, now I only watch Manly games.

I wonder is this just cynical me, or am I replicated across the usual audience???

Mark from Brisbane said:
I have mentioned many times that I am becoming disillusioned about the game in general.

This has come about mainly as a result of two things.

1) The TV Schedule (and I do realise I live in Brizvegas)

Why every game isn't live on TV bemuses me....Chan 9 have two channels USE THEM, Friday should have one on 9 and the other on...is it GEM, well whatever it is.

Sunday arvo could be kick off at 2.00pm (live on Foxtel) and 4.00pm (live on Chan 9) and 6.00pm (Live on Foxtel)......meaning there's just the 5.30pm and 7.30pm Saturday night games both live.

AND how come I can record on Foxtel the Friday night game, broadcast by Chan 9 and watch it later in HD but Chan 9 want to put it on in SD.....sorry people its 2014 not 1963 when Black and White reigned supreme!!

2) The standard of adjudication and the influence they have

I won't go on again (already mentioned a few times) but it gets worse and worse each year....I bet we'll see it again this afternoon, poor old Parra done like a dinner last week, lets penalise the other team to oblivion to ensure a tight game.

Its happening, and could happen today...if it does it will be yet another perfect example of how the game is being "rigged"....not I think for betting (although it could) but to create "better tighter games" and thus more appealing on TV.

I'm about to embark on a four month trip away in my caravan, I'll try and listen on radio or watch a few games if I can get to a pub, and will certainly try and at least get the scores BUT you know what......I don't really care if I don't.

5 years ago I probably watched every game that was shown, now I only watch Manly games.

I wonder is this just cynical me, or am I replicated across the usual audience???

Replicated if you ask me. I only watch Manly games as as there are not many on free to air in don't watch them all. The league is getting ruined and afl will run all over them in time. Hope chnl 9 and the NRL are happy with their efforts as they kill off the greatest game of all through greed and incompetence.

I used to watch every game. I watch Manly of course but don't go out of my way to see the other matches. If I'm not doing anything else I may turn on the Sunday arvo match but the Broncos bias up here has basically made Friday a non event for me.

I'm with everyone else here - five or six years ago I used to watch all the games, and had a Foxtel subscription mostly for the footy. Back in the 90s, I used to listen to almost all of the games on radio if they weren't on 9 or the ABC!

Now, I pretty much just watch the Manly games - FFS, I work across the road from Allianz and I haven't even decided if I'll go to the game this week or just watch it on TV (is it worth the $$$ to sit through another caning by the officials?)...and where I used to arrange other stuff around the Manly games, now if there's something else on offer I'll just do that and check scores on my phone or whatever.

For much the same reasons as everyone else has mentioned - I was absolutely fanatical as a teenager, the super league garbage ruined that for me and I didn't watch a game until Manly were reinstated; I have had seasons since where I've gone to every home game, got little nieces and nephews into following Manly from the day they were born etc - but it's never really got to the same level, and I can feel my enthusiasm slipping every time the pink cheats decide an outcome or artificially keep a scoreline close when it should be a flogging.

And every year the biased *draw* grinds my gears as well. I notice again the Titans are complaining about being given daytime home games this early in the season - and fair enough too - Brisbane can rely on all Friday night games, while the team just down the road has to play in 42 degree heat during the day?! Yet teams that would be happy to get the daytime home games can't seem to get the *draw* to fall in their favour?

I don't have Fox so I am only talking about FTA games, but I will at least start to watch most games on a Friday night or Sunday arvo.
If it's a yawn fest I'll go play footy with the kids on a Sunday arvo or save the world Lara Croft style on a Friday night. ;)

jbb/james said:
TV- seriously I am so sick of the Broncos that unless they play Manly I will never ever watch them play. I will never watch the second game on a friday night. Unless the first game is a spectacle i wont watch it either. There is no way i will ever watch a game that has the tigers or parramatta involved. From reading i can see friday nights game with the tigpies was Ok but they have been in too many crap games for me to consider it again. Its a yawnfest

Nice read James. This is the sort of stuff that the NRL needs to hear about, not just us Manly fans. I suggest you send it through to the NRL and hopefully they will take some notice.

http://www.nrl.com/NRLHome/ContacttheNRL/tabid/10925/Default.aspx

I echo your sentiments. The game's dying a slow death and the NRL needs to do something soon to improve the product or risk being overrun by other sports.

I bought a Foxtel subscription so I could watch the NRL & Super Rugby. The FTA games on channel 9 are basically unwatchable which is a shame cause we have plenty of Friday night games scheduled this season. The only consolation is the good exposure our sponsors get.

Nothing beats being at Brookie though ;)

Rodo said:
jbb/james said:

Nice read James. This is the sort of stuff that the NRL needs to hear about, not just us Manly fans. I suggest you send it through to the NRL and hopefully they will take some notice.

http://www.nrl.com/NRLHome/ContacttheNRL/tabid/10925/Default.aspx

I echo your sentiments. The game's dying a slow death and the NRL needs to do something soon to improve the product or risk being overrun by other sports.

Rodo, no disrespect intended, but in red above is all that is wrong with the NRL. They treat games as a product rather than a legitimate sporting contest. they manipulate games and schedules to create the "desired product." That product is close games with lot's of scoring. Most games this weekend meet that criteria, but the really special result was the 30-26 game between Easts and the donkeys. That's the product they want, lot's of points and close to then end. They have no interest in a fair contest.

Ralphie said:
Rodo, no disrespect intended, but in red above is all that is wrong with the NRL. They treat games as a product rather than a legitimate sporting contest. they manipulate games and schedules to create the "desired product." That product is close games with lot's of scoring. Most games this weekend meet that criteria, but the really special result was the 30-26 game between Easts and the donkeys. That's the product they want, lot's of points and close to then end. They have no interest in a fair contest.

Ralphie, no disrespect taken....It's not the "product" that we the fans want. So until the NRL get there heads out of the sand and start to realise this then the game (is this a better word to use ;)) will not get any better.

Friday is a non event (if you live up here)....my wife and I actually go out now on a Friday, cheapie dinner somewhere or a quick Sushi and a movie down the road.

I then record the second game (if we are playing), turn off all electronic devices, come home and get up first thing in the morning and watch it.

It's "sort of" just like live AND as I have Fox I record it in HD "advertisement free " ( f..k you Chan Nein)

Rodo said:
Ralphie said:

Ralphie, no disrespect taken....It's not the "product" that we the fans want. So until the NRL get there heads out of the sand and start to realise this then the game (is this a better word to use ;)) will not get any better.

All good mate. As I said I wasn't having a shot at you and I suspected you didn't mean it in the same sense as the fools at the NRL do.

i'm the same as most of you,
i will watch manly games & highlights of other games but that's it.
i have trouble sitting through a full state of origin game nowadays - all i care about in those games is that no mwse players get injured

Living o/s with no one to talk footy with ensures that I watch most games. Usually go through the other games fairly quick...45 mins to 60 mins per game.

Plus paying extra on sat. tv gets me all the nrl, super league, union, + million games of soccer.

But the cycle is....the more I watch....the more I have to talk about with...no one...so I watch it more.

Meh...life isn't too bad!

globaleagle said:
Living o/s with no one to talk footy with ensures that I watch most games. Usually go through the other games fairly quick...45 mins to 60 mins per game.

Plus paying extra on sat. tv gets me all the nrl, super league, union, + million games of soccer.

But the cycle is....the more I watch....the more I have to talk about with...no one...so I watch it more.

Meh...life isn't too bad!

I hear ya. I miss dissecting the games with mates.

If I set up an online conference to see if we can get others in real time chat, with break out rooms, would that help?

News.com today

RUGBY league royalty John Sattler has forecast the death of the code he helped make famous as penalty-addicted referees ruin his passion.

“The game … it’s lost me,” said Sattler, South Sydney’s multi-premiership-winning captain.

In a damning indictment on NRL law-makers, Sattler said the code would be on its deathbed in 10 years as fans joined him in refusing to watch a penalty-a-thon devoid of gladiatorial contests. “In 10 years time our game will be buggered,” he said. “I have got to the stage where I watch (the NRL) for 10 minutes and turn it off. I have never done that ever in my life. It has reached a stage where it’s become laughable. I’m not enjoying in at all.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/league-great-john-sattler-has-forecast-the-death-of-the-code-he-helped-make-famous/story-fndujljl-1226863632535

versus

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said: “We are still finalising reviews of round three but across the opening rounds the quality of the football and the standard of the refereeing has been excellent.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/jarryd-hayne-was-right-parramatta-were-robbed-due-to-inconsistencies-by-the-two-referees/story-fndv34of-1226863659191

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2