What will a poor 2009 really cost us ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Besides the obvious frustration with the lack of on field results and the rapidly declining chances of defending our title, I fear that our poor performances this year will have a much bigger cost.

If you look at 2008, things couldn't have been rosier for Manly. We had two benevolent owners willing to back the club financially, a savvy CEO, and most importantly a quality football team who swept all before them in an irrepressible run through the semis, culminating in a record GF win. Quality on field performances were backed with a cleanskin off field image,.... a marketing dream. Manly were back and were the talk of the town. Topped off with a WCC win and there was talk of them being one of the best club sides ever.

Fast forward to Round 8 2009 and what do we have ? Two owners embroiled in a very public spat, indulging in one-upmanship via the media. Factional boardroom bickering. A CEO on the outer. Our number one player (and face of the game no less) suspended for drunken behaviour and facing sexual assault charges. Another player accussed of assualting a sponsor. Poor on field performances making us look like a shadow of the all conquering side of 2008 and seeing us languishing at the bottom of the table.

The real cost of all this will be disenchanted fans, reduced membership uptakes, poor home crowds, and difficulty in raising sponsorship. All of which will have a massive effect on the bottom line and the viability of the club going forward. All in a year where funding for upgrading Brookie has been finally secured. Times are tough and likely to get tougher, and we can already see some clubs really starting to struggle financially. On field performances are all that counts and can make up for a multitude of back office shortcomings. "Build it and they will come" is the mantra.

I can't help feeling we have blown a golden opportunity to secure the future of the club with the lacklustre start to season 2009. We had so much momentum that could have been built on from a marketing point of view, and all it needed was a solid tilt at back to back premierships. I fear we may have lost the chance to secure a whole new generation of younger fans, not only those geographically attached to the side, but the country kids as well. Nothing breeds support like success, kids love a winner. I know that 76 and 78 secured it for me when I was scratching around looking for a side to follow growing up in the country. All those closet Manly fans will now go back into the woodwork instead of getting out to the game, taking up a membership package or buying some merchandise. What sponsor wants to be associated with a side whose only media exposure is for players' court cases or articles highlighting the teams fall from grace. How is a upgraded Brookvale Oval going to get the nod when we are only getting 7000 or 8000 people through the gate ? Gosford anyone ?

I really hope that we don't look back at this season and think "what could have been". Let's hope it's not too late to turn things around.

Ouch man  :'(
You've pretty much covered it. We can whinge about the special treatment of stewart by gallop with some justification, and the media frenzy over it all, but much of our woes are self-inflicted. and it is a lousy time to be going pear-shaped.

In a way I think the times are also a factor in souring the relations between the co-owners, putting some real money pressure on their uneasy arrangements. This bustup and the old divisions it opened up have been a major factor feeding all the rest of this mess. Collectively the lot of them should have seen the damage this public brawling would do and for it to still be bubbling along is a f*##*n disgrace imho.

Find a few wins, get some respectability, blood a few new players, REALLY go under the radar for a while, and get a bit more humble and professional in outlook, shut the bull**** behind closed doors....give sponsors value for money, and supporters something to look forward to. these are hopefully the team and club goals now. talking about the finals (let alone the gf) seems very inflated and self-deluding.

Look, I agree with much of what's said, but really, the way to attract and excite people, current fans and potential ones, is not to put on the park the same old losers week after week.  What's needed to excite us is exciting plays, new players and a new approach.  Forget about the bickering of the co-owners, the kids in the country couldn't care less about that stuff.  I'm sure C & C, as a kid growing up in the country you didn't know, or care, about the bickering on the board that was happening then, so why should fans, or potential fans, care about it now.  It's a red herring.  Hasler needs to excite us, and sponsors, with exciting players.  Get some younger, newer guys in there where the old and underperforming are seemingly bolted to the floor.  Fans do not want to watch Princess, Ox and others put in sub-standard performances week after week.  We want to see the Brett Stewart types, Hoppa and the younger guys flashing around.  In the end, if the same old same old happens, we'll all stay away.     

We have no chance of securing the extra $10m we need to upgrade brookvale oval and therefore moving to the central coast is an option that will not go away.

If we lose to the broncos and titans then our next home game at brookie against parramatta will atract only the diehard supporters. 

There is no way that we will be able to make ends meet with poor crowds for the rest of the year and $8m will become a tempting carrot to relocate to the CC.

Chip & Chase link said:
....On field performances are all that counts and can make up for a multitude of back office shortcomings. \"Build it and they will come\" is the mantra....

Good article, thought-provoking and more than a little concerning. But what can be done about it? Is this your solution, the team needs to remain dominant? Easier said than done, unfortunately. But though the team is in a hole at present this can still occur, I know there was talk after the GF that the plan was for the club to have strong teams in genuine contention for years to come. Which sounded like a lot more sensible goal than "now we will win 2009".

But I think you'll find the "build it and they will come" refers to the playing field not the team. According to the club the Brookie upgrade needs to occur, that is the key, in attracting more members better gates and more corporate support. We have half the funding. Federal govt contribution is critical.

kingyfan link said:
We have no chance of securing the extra $10m we need to upgrade brookvale oval and therefore moving to the central coast is an option that will not go away.

If we lose to the broncos and titans then our next home game at brookie against parramatta will atract only the diehard supporters. 

There is no way that we will be able to make ends meet with poor crowds for the rest of the year and $8m will become a tempting carrot to relocate to the CC.
You may be right but not necessarily. Federal govt is under pressure to spend and capital projects will be one of their options for sure.

I don't think CC is an option for Manly. The owners always deny it. The experiment was a flop last time. If a team goes to Gosford it won't be Manly this time. Maybe we could be Adelaide Sea Eagles! Nah. The NRL would not want to abandon the north of Sydney to rival codes. Bit like Newcaste, for all their financial woes they won't be allowed to disappear. Sharks on the other hand...southern Sydney still would have St George-Illawarra. Not looking good for sharks.

Apart from govt funding, the 3 year business plan Mayer is supposed to table at the upcoming board meeting will be a fairly important document I'd say. Hopefully he has a good plan.

DSM5 link said:
Look, I agree with much of what's said, but really, the way to attract and excite people, current fans and potential ones, is not to put on the park the same old losers week after week.  What's needed to excite us is exciting plays, new players and a new approach.  Forget about the bickering of the co-owners, the kids in the country couldn't care less about that stuff.  I'm sure C & C, as a kid growing up in the country you didn't know, or care, about the bickering on the board that was happening then, so why should fans, or potential fans, care about it now.  It's a red herring.  Hasler needs to excite us, and sponsors, with exciting players.  Get some younger, newer guys in there where the old and underperforming are seemingly bolted to the floor.  Fans do not want to watch Princess, Ox and others put in sub-standard performances week after week.  We want to see the Brett Stewart types, Hoppa and the younger guys flashing around.  In the end, if the same old same old happens, we'll all stay away.       
Very amusing. You want to see the Brett Stewart types, Hoppa and the younger guys flashing around!!

Let's see, Brett is a champion and an excitement machine, and it took what, 5 or 6 years for him to develop his game to it's current level?

Exciting play can give a thrill, but what gives a bigger and lasting thrill is winning play. And that takes planning and building over time. Not just throwing in a few talented kids and hoping they will 'flash around'.

(True, the Bulldogs are currently an advertisement for the proposition you can make a successful team overnight -  but I will be very surprised if they can maintain their current success for the whole season.)

I always laughed at Newcastle and to a lesser extent Brisbane about being one player teams, who would of thought we would be the biggest one player team.

I still find it difficult that our whole attack falls down because of one player...

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
Let's see, Brett is a champion and an excitement machine, and it took what, 5 or 6 years for him to develop his game to it's current level?
Sorry SER8, his game has been terrific from the moment he played. He is now 25 (in Feb) and been a permanent top grader for the last 5 seasons. He had one game in 2003, 17 in 2004 for 14 tries, 24 in 2005 for 16 tries, 21 in 2006 for 21 tries. He showed himself as a star from when he ran on all that time ago.

While some very valid points are made by posters regarding this issue, a poor start to 2009 does not mean the death of the Sea Eagles or a relocation to Gosford.
The competition has changed dramatically. Penrith were 2nd last in '02 then Premiers in 03 and haven't been much chop since.  The Tigers came from nowhere and won '05 and then disappeared back to nowhere. The Bulldogs were spooners last year and are currently on top of the comp. Going back (I think it was '98 or '99) the Broncos won the premiership and then lost their first seven games the following year.
Supporting a losing team can be very disheartening but if Manly fans want to turn their backs on their team for a shock form reversal, then they are not sincere supporters and should just go fishing or something.
Back to back would have been great. It's not going to happen. Get over it and support your team through the tough times.
The kids - I work with kids and some of them support a different team each week or a new team each year - and yes they're attracted to winners. If these kids continue to support league they'll eventually stick to a team and hopefully display loyalty.
The media - as far as I'm concerned all the bad publicity has made me feel more passionate in my support for Manly.
I hate losing as much as anyone on this site, but Manly fans need to accept that our team is certainly struggling at the moment, but they have given us plenty to celebrate recently, and they will again.

I cant help it if theres a glaring hole in your logic MB ;)

And yes I agree it was obvious he had the goods from the word go.

ManlyBacker link said:
Good points nicci but I need a good dose of your meds to keep me going :)
Just stay drunk, it's cheaper (kidding of course (supposed) role models to children need to be sober for at least several hours per day).

I did have a fuzzy head on Saturday morning following many a commiserating drink back at the club after the game. By lunchtime the real horror had sunk in. Then there are the already paid for game tickets, airfares and accomodation to Brisvegas and Gold Coast and the ridicule of all who know my team passion and it is clear that drink is not going to cut it this year. :)

ManlyBacker link said:
I did have a fuzzy head on Saturday morning following many a commiserating drink back at the club after the game. By lunchtime the real horror had sunk in. Then there are the already paid for game tickets, airfares and accomodation to Brisvegas and Gold Coast and the ridicule of all who know my team passion and it is clear that drink is not going to cut it this year. :)
Suggestions: fishing, hibernation, general anesthetic.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6