[Resurrected] What position did you / do you play ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

What position did you / do you play ?

• Full Back

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Wing

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Centre

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Five Eight

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Half Back

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Lock

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Back Row

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Prop ~ Front Row

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Hooker

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wing- ettalong primary
Backrow- birkdale south primary.
Backrow- Broadmeadow high ( wow we were horrific).
Centre- Waratah rugby union.

Played with a guy called Ricky dodds in my birkdale side. We were losing in a Semi one day, he pulls us all in and tells us whoever gets the ball next is to put up a bomb. When we got the ball, the ball goes up and Ricky comes through and destroys there best player. We still lost, but they lost in the final....always thought he'd make it...... He didn't

Ricky is the older bro of Mitchell dodds who's plays for the horse heads.

Hey mate,

Just wondering why the collarboan break ended your career. My son plays for the local comp in the u15As in the Shire broke his collarbone playing up against his old cluband is sidelined for 8 weeks. Currently plays half and has done so for a number of years. Hoping to qualify for Harold Matts next year.
I broke my collarbone in '89.
It still gives me grief today.
I'm no Doctor, but I'm guessing, how bad the break is & post break treatment have a bearing on things.

Played fullback at McCarthy back in the early 90's. I was in the year above Craig Gower so we were the crap squad compared to all the younger hot shots. Used to play in the MCS which back then was loaded - when St Gregs, JP2, Parra Marist etc used to be powerhouses.

Highlight was a training session where they brought in John Cartwright and Matt Adamsom. We gave it to them for about 30 minutes before Adamson called us a "pack of c.nts" and stormed off.

We played and beat McCarthy the year after they made the final with Craig Gower, Jai Dunn etc in the Commonwealth Bank Cup. We then spanked Holy Cross Ryde before being belted by Erindale in Canberra before the ARL game. From memory it was like 50 nil.

That was the last season I played at school before going to Union as I was 16/17 and league went to 18's and I wasnt starting so I swapped and stayed. Ended up playing colts for Norths Rugby when I moved to Sydney. Tried to make a come back when I was around 30 but I was too soft and lazy and only lasted a few training sessions.

Used to play hooker in league before playing centre in union. Started on the wing though as I had no idea what the rules were.

Started playing at fullback. I used to get frustrated at not being in the thick of things for 80min. Shifted to right centre and loved the physical aspect of being able to smash opposition players hard and not just cover defend. Ended up playing hooker where you got to use your brain in attack, and shoulders all you liked in defence.

G'day Mike! Could not agree more! Remember when you had to strike for the ball? The big collision and head butts when you packed the scrum, the big push, the loose arms and short uppercuts, you and your front row intimidating opposition? Good times! Bush footy at its finest.

G'day Mike! Could not agree more! Remember when you had to strike for the ball? The big collision and head butts when you packed the scrum, the big push, the loose arms and short uppercuts, you and your front row intimidating opposition? Good times! Bush footy at its finest.
Scrums were just referee sanctioned stinks :) You'd pack in, bash heads a few times, get punched by your second rowers throwing blind uppercuts into the scrum instead of pushing.... Good times ;)

My playing career consisted of playing a few gala days with Forest High in the 80's at either 2nd row or living my dream as a fullback in the mould of Wombat Eadie
Unfortunately being born with disabilities to both feet, I was unable to play regular football. I did however have a great career of being ball boy and linesman when my brother played for Forest Rugby. I also held the honour of winning the pass the ball competition in '78 against my brother's team when I was on crutches! Also did the Melwood Oval walk-a-thon. I still have the clip from The Manly Daily.....
Also had the pleasure of being the linesman when Forest High beat Davidson High in the Waratah Shield and poor old Toove's was in tears....

Last edited:
Played Lock/hooker at Easts-Carina 18 years.

Claims to fame- mentored by the great Johnny Lang when I first moved to hooker, Played Brisbane u18 sub-district with Neil Tierney ( he was a centre back then), played against our silvertails poster Utility Player.

Started off playing u10s Rugby for Dee Why Lions at what they used to call Peter Rabbit Park. Had a coach who was a milkman who used to hand out chocolate milk after the game. Then went on to play for St Augustine's in rugby. First coach there was a bloke called Russell McKessar who played fullback for the Marlins - mainly reserves I think. He ended up dying a number of years later sadly. Paul McCaffery, former Bears half also coached us. Fondest memory was taking a 7 iron over the road to Brookie oval during training and hitting balls from the half way mark over the grandstand back towards the school. The groundsman chased us off.

Started in U14's for Blacktown Workers in 86 i think. Started as a centre maybe, remember playing some front row but found lock as my position. I was a bigger kid and quick for my age, so it was easy to stand out a bit. Played metro west Rugby as a 5/8. By the time i was 17, weekend drinking became more important, and the year after I finished Year 12 i played a few months of C Grade before i decided to work down the snow for a season in '91 (never did see Roberts smash Garry jack!) and then some work up at Charters Towers in Qld. Came back to Sydney and never put the boots on again.

Tried to have one more go at 30 for the Willoughby Roos. It took me all year to get fit, but it was worth having a go for my peace of mind.

Wow guys some very interesting reading.As a female contributor and due to my age I never had the opportunity to play league except in the backyard with my brother and neighbours when I was a kid. Mum use to make me wear a life jacket as sort of shoulder pads to ensure my female "pieces " we're not hurt .......

My playing career consisted of playing a few gala days with Forest High in the 80's at either 2nd row or living my dream as a fullback in the mould of Wombat Eadie
Unfortunately being born with disabilities to both feet, I was unable to play regular football. I did however have a great career of being ball boy and linesman when my brother played for Forest Rugby. I also held the honour of winning the pass the ball competition in '78 against my brother's team when I was on crutches! Also did the Melwood Oval walk-a-thon. I still have the clip from The Manly Daily.....
Also had the pleasure of being the linesman when Forest High beat Davidson High in the Waratah Shield and poor old Toove's was in tears....
I was at beacon hill high. We played you guys in the mid 80s, maybe 84. Ivan cleary's older brother was one of our better players.

I remember the toughest game vs cessnock high, and also a scratch game, our school vs combined carlingford and mt druitt highs while our 3 schools were staying at sport and rec in jindabyne. Big hits! Also probably the best moment of my "career", at second receiver on the right, faking left, holding the ball for a few extra seconds drawing the defence in before passing to the right, hitting our fullback who made an overlap and the back line finished it off with a try in the corner. There was something about the timing of all this that has stayed in my memory.

Brings back a lot of memories this thread does, about pulling on that jersey and playing your guts out for nothing more than a free beer, a pair of sox and shorts, and the right to own that jersey at year's end.

You forget (or suppress) the pre-season training, the weights and hill runs, the constant niggles and turning up to school (yes!) hung over and then later on work in the same state.. Last year of school playing U19's with Jets and for TRHS, there were weeks when you played Sunday (Jets), Tuesday (Commonwealth Bank Cup), Wednesday (local inter school comp), Thursday (State Bank cup) then again on Saturday or Sunday.. All the while studying for trial HSC's and training 3 days a week for the Jetties. Grades, of course, suffered.

So did the body.. Approaching 40 I've had 3 ops on one knee, the other is damaged, left shoulder always feels like a broken K-Mart ratchet spanner, I had issues with dyslexia, memory lapses, semi-detached retinas, pain killer addiction... The list goes on lol!

Wouldn't change a thing. The heartbreakers, the epic wins, the life of ice packs and the creaky joints all go hand in hand. It's a wonderful game, and it owns you forever. I might struggle with old injuries for the rest of my life but footy made me who I am, and that's just one of the reasons I love the game :)

Good question. My parents were reluctant for me to play due to the chance of being injured. This break at age 16 or so was the reason I had to quit, but it was a parental directive rather than a medical reason. The collarbone has never given me any trouble.
Phew thanks!
My son is so adamant he wants to play. Chances are he will return with two weeks of the regular round remaining and possible finals, depending upon how the team goes. He's keen to play first grade, although time will tell and has been told he has potential based on his skill just needs to beefen up a little more. Has been playing halfback for a number of years. Good structural and guiding half with the ability to create.

Time will tell I suppose.

Played 5/8 for St Mary's in Penrith comp. Our schoolboys side were state runners up.
Moved to Central Coast and played for the mighty Toukley Hawks for a couple of seasons. Then got a contract to play for the Kariong Wanderers rugby side at 5/8 and fullback before finishing at Northlakes United.
Loved my footy, wasn't a world beater, but I prided myself on never letting a player get past me! Some did, but it was very rare!
I'd be very surprised if we haven't come across one another on the rugby field. I've played the majority of my rugby with the Razorbacks, and 1 season at both The Entrance & Warnervale.
Back in my younger days I was a 5/8 or halfback, now I find myself at hooker or being that utility player who will play anywhere.

Hey Hozza- my kids go to Birkdale south primary school.
Haha no way!! Hope they like it, was a great school! I'm back down in newcastle ( where I was born) but even after all these years I look back fondly at that school.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6