1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if they all go?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Stevo, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

NSW
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / 47
    So assuming the rumours are all true, that Watmough and Matai want out asap what might the team look like next year?

I'm going to assume that Brett Stewart and Dce and Foz stay (why would we release them?)

We need a replacement for Jason King too.

1. Brett Stewart
    2. Jorge Taufua
    3. Konrad Hurrell
    4. Jamie Lyon
    5. Peta Hiku
    6. Kieran Foran
    7. Daly Cherry-Evans
    8. Brenton Lawrence
    9. Matt Ballin
    10. Ben Hannant
    11. Justin Horo
    12. Trent Merrin
    13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Jayden Hodges
    15. Dunamis Lui
    16. Josh Starling
    17. Jesse Sene-Lefao

You can pretty much guarantee that if Skivvi leaves then Hiku will play centre and Gutho would go to that wing which would be ok but imagine Taufua in top form with Hurrell playing just inside him.

Merrin is another stretch. We really need front rowers. However, If we had more quality in the back row it would allow Dunamis Lui to play up front and not a stop gap back rower like he has been.

Go for your lives!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Kevinward777

Kevinward777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,240 / 31
    Nice Stevo!

3. Haz88

Haz88 Active Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0
    Have I missed something with Hurrell?? is there talks or just what you would like to see!

Definitely some power on that edge if it happened.

Anyone know much about Jake T's younger brother playing fullback for the 20's. Joey Johns was saying this kid is a real talent and future star. Gutho, Jake T and his brother must be signed long term. We are producing some good juniors and the last thing we want is 3 potential stars to leave as well.

4. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

NSW
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / 47
    The thinking there is that if Matai goes to the warriors then where would Hurrell go? There was talk that he was the one they wanted to unload to accommodate Matai.
    [hr]
    Max Krillich told a mate of mine that Tom Trebojevic is seen by the club as the next Brett Stewart. Take from that what you will. We are spoiled with great fullbacks at the moment.

5. EagleFromMay1967

EagleFromMay1967 In bed before the room got dark.

Blue Mountains these days
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 44
    Big Willy & Georgie Peorgie IF THEY'RE CHEAP :idea:;)

(I know i know - it sounds like a nursery rhyme at least its kid - friendly)

• Like Like x 1
  6. mozgrame

mozgrame Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,565 / 45
    On his day, Hurrell doesn't need anyone on his outside. He is a powerhouse. However, I would take Matai over Hurrell all day, every day.

Matai is far more consistent week in, week out. On a good day the pairing of Hurrell and Jorge would be fantastic. On a bad day, their pairing could be tremendous weakness in defence.

7. EagleRock40

EagleRock40 Well-Known Member

Ourimbah, New South Wales
    Ratings:
    +211 / 4
    1. Snake
    2. Taufua / Hiku
    3. Lyon
    4. Hiku / Gerard Beale
    5. Gutherson
    6. Foz
    7. DCE
    8. Lawrence
    9. Ballin
    10. Starling
    11. Buhrer
    12. Symonds
    13. Merrin
    14. Sene Lefao
    15. Horo
    16. Lui
    17. J Trbojevic

• Like Like x 1
  8. Top End Eagle

Top End Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942 / 40
    Move Tafua into the second row. He would be greater twenty minute spells and get some punch on our edges. He can cover wing if injuries arise but that way gutho keeps playing first grade.

9. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,836 / 103
    I think we've seen the last of Tafua as a winger in first grade.
    We have that speedster Delroy Berryman in reserves, and our current backline certainly is lacking in pace.

10. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,806 / 53
    I have heard some legitimate sounding rumours about the above players (as set out above). Assuming they are all true and that the club releases them, our team next year will look like his:

2. Jorge Taufua (but may be dropped to NSW Cup)

• Like Like x 4
  11. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,077 / 38
    Wolfie is back next year, so we are covered if Tafua gets dropped. So all good.

• Like Like x 3
  12. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    We faced this same exodus hysteria in the Super League and the Desgate eras - but Manly still managed to field competitive Teams after each :cool:

13. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,806 / 53
    I don't think we were that competitive after Super League - 10th in 1998, 13th in 1999 and then we disappeared... I hope this isn't anything like that!!

14. Andrew..

Andrew.. Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Alstonville
    Ratings:
    +1,903 / 27
    I'm yet to be convinced regarding Ben Hannant but happy to be proven wrong. One things for certain we are definitely going to need another prop or two in order to stay competitive next year.

Regarding the backs. If we end up letting Steve go (and why should we) I wouldn't mind looking at BJ Leilua. I think under Tooves and Donny Singe he could develop into a great replacement.

15. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,401 / 130
    No to Hannant, nothing to do with Football.

• Like Like x 1
  16. EagleFlys

EagleFlys Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +516 / 30
    Heres my take

Watamouth is gone

Foran will be at the dogs in 16
    Skivi will be at warrs in 16

Snake will stay on what hes got then go to UK retirement club (if knees hold out).
    Ballin will stay on till 17 then head to UK

DCE will get 1.2 mil and captaincy and he will stay.
    Disharmony will continue through into next year.
    The generational change is slow.

Only my opinion, not based on fact.

17. Haz88

Haz88 Active Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0
    Thanks mate, makes sense. Konrad is def a handful on his day wouldn't say no to the idea.

I'm glad they have identified Tom T early they should now put a plan in place to retain him if they know already how good he is going to be. Especially since Joey has made comments about it and I am sure other teams are watching. (And I am sure they are already on top of it).

Some good Fullback spots around for sure, Gutho who is my next fullback in line after Snake.. he seems to just have that touch of class and doesn't let the occasion get to him. Do you think he has the speed to be a real threat from the back? I mean Moylan is doing a great job without being a noted speedster, his skill is surely making up for it.

18. KaZa

KaZa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 20
    Id like us to go after Willie Mason and Masoe (was great for the roosters). We need some mongrel in the forward pack again. Whats Gorgeous upto these days?

19. maxta

maxta Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Toowoomba, Queensland
    Ratings:
    +2,345 / 56
    Your spot on with Tom T Haz, but gotta say mate, that Moylan is close enough to a speedster imo, deceptively quick

20. Harry

Harry Active Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    My hearing from someone close, is Canberra have thrown the $$$$$$ at Brett Stewart and thats where he could be going. He won't be going overseas
    [hr]
    Its not just the players we are hearing that could be leaving, but there are players leaving in the lower grades as well off like a piece of rotten cheese, must tell you something is not right at the club