What does this mean for Brooky?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Lyonstomenzies

Bencher
Premium Member
Sydney's stadium plans are set to be overhauled with six NRL clubs close to agreeing to ask the Baird government to scrap a new stadium at Moore Park and upgrade the Sydney Olympic Park stadium instead.

In the past fortnight Premier Mike Baird asked the NRL for its opinion on the government's current plans to direct about $800 million of $1 billion in funding to replacing the inner-city Allianz stadium and $200 million to ANZ stadium at Olympic Park.

If the NRL and six Sydney-based clubs would like those funding levels switched to turn ANZ Stadium into a premium rectangular venue, the government is likely to agree.

That would mean ditching plans to build a new stadium at Moore Park, frustrating the powerful Sydney Cricket & Sports Ground Trust which would have to be content with refurbishing the 45,000 seat Allianz stadium.

The Sydney Roosters, Canterbury Bulldogs, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Wests Tigers, St George Illawarra Dragons and Parramatta Eels were approached a fortnight ago and have been discussing the best way to use the government funding.

The matter has been deemed urgent, with the state government hopeful of an answer by the end of the month.

If the clubs request the funding switch, it could represent a remarkable turn-around in policy after Mr Baird committed to building the new stadium at Moore Park only in September.

But the departure of former NRL chief executive Dave Smith, who was a proponent of the SCG Trust's stadium plans, has created the opportunity for the re-think.

When Mr Baird and Sports Minister Stuart Ayres announced the funding split, it was as part of an overall $1.6 billion stadium funding package. The first stadium to be built would be a replacement for Pirtek Stadium in Parramatta, but ANZ and Allianz would then share about $1 billion.

However the decision to direct the bulk of that money to a 55,000 seat replacement for Allianz was criticised last year on the grounds that that stadium rarely sold out, and that the majority of rugby league fans lived closer to Olympic Park.

Souths chief executive John Lee, a former director-general of NSW Transport, said on Wednesday that planning policy for major sporting infrastructure was predominantly focused on access – "pedestrian, car and public transport access to the precinct."

"Olympic Park is superior in two of the three criteria," Mr Lee told Fairfax Media.

"We all tried Allianz years ago and it's a great boutique little stadium but it's not the premium rectangle," said Mr Lee, adding that Olympic Park was closer to the geographic centre of Sydney, and had much better public transport and parking.

"We are all in furious agreement in the clubs that Homebush was designed for a sports carnival and it needs to be redesigned for the best rectangular events sports in the country: eg. a Bledisloe, Australia qualifying for the World Cup, State of Origin," he said.

The potential about-turn comes after the Sports Minister Stuart Ayres inflamed tensions in the inner city by appearing to support a push by the SCG Trust to build a new stadium on Kippax Lake, on land managed by the neighbouring Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust.

"If you move the stadium, for instance, the space where the existing stadium is can be redeveloped as open recreational green space, it can be redeveloped as playing fields," Mr Ayres told ABC702 on Wednesday morning.

But building a stadium on Centennial Park land would contradict a cabinet decision last year that any new stadium at Moore Park would need to be on SCG land.

The comments triggered an immediate outcry. The chairman of the Centennial Park Trust, Tony Ryan, said: "We were disappointed to learn of the comments of the minister which appear to contradict the government's stated position regarding the Allianz Stadium redevelopment."

But Mr Ayres told Fairfax Media that he was not supporting the idea of a stadium on Centennial Park land.

"The government has a clear stated intention to build a new stadium and it intends to build that stadium on land that is administered by the SCG Trust," Mr Ayres said.

It may yet emerge, however, that no new stadium is built at Moore Park. It is understood that the Roosters support the idea of a refurbished Allianz, rather than a new stadium that would be rarely filled.

The NRL met with the six clubs last week, presenting detailed facts and figures about patronage at different venues. It is understood the NRL is keen for ANZ Stadium to receive the bulk of the funding – a proposition the clubs are set to approve at another meeting in a fortnight.

Means same as before - we have been hung out to dry by the other clubs and NRL. Having said that it may mean there is more of an argument to invest in Brookie given our lack of proximity to homebush

I'm thinking this may be good. If the Moore Park venue does not get upgraded it may mean that Brookvale has a little something left from the Stadia plans bank account.

It's only wishful thinking though, as I'm pretty sure we are ****ed at the moment.

Baird has ****ed the Norther Beaches, that he is the Member for, big time.@:mad:

First, with this dithering on the problem of where to spend billions of Tax Payer dollars.
Second, how to tie up the three local Councils' budgets whilst his Amalgamation theory ruins life of Rate payers on the Northern Beaches :banghead::swear:

The decision to tear down the SFS and build a new 55,000 seat stadium was stupid to begin with. As said earlier in this thread, the place is rarely full other than for A-League Grand Finals, Wallabies tests against mid-lower ranked teams and I can't remember the last time it was full for an NRL or Super Rugby game. Why tear down a fairly good stadium that can rarely fill its 45,500 capacity and replace it with one that seats some 10,000 more and will only serve the same purpose? Its not like the Wallabies are going to play games against the All Blacks there when there is a venue that sits 30,000 more a few miles up the road. The Rorters and Waratahs will never fill the place and neither will Sydney FC unless its a Grand Final against the Wanderers. The Socceroos might be a chance to fill it, but I doubt the Kangaroos would the way Sydney fans seem to treat international rugby league games.

The Olympic Stadium should have been re-built into a rectangle venue from the start. It wasn't simply because the AFL got their hooks into the discussions because they wanted a venue in Sydney with more capacity than the SCG for blockbuster Swans games (the argument was used that as an oval it could also be used for cricket, but while they played a few games there it never really worked as a cricket oval because of the way the stands were configured, and besides that most people, including the ACB and NSW Cricket, preferred the SCG anyway). The fact that the ground was widely criticised by AFL clubs (including the Swans) also played a big part in the GWS choosing the redeveloped showground stadium as their home venue instead.

What does this mean for Brookvale? Probably nothing if truth be told. Money that would have been spent on the new stadium at Moore Park would just go into other areas, most likely the upgrade/reconfiguration of ANZ and the re-build of Parramatta Stadium to appease the soccer set (because the Speels certainly won't attract a 30k average. Like the SFS, they can't even fill it now and it only holds 21,500). Brookvale won't be getting needed money for upgrades from the NSW Government any time soon.

Last edited:
"We all tried Allianz years ago and it's a great boutique little stadium but it's not the premium rectangle," said Mr Lee......

"We are all in furious agreement in the clubs that Homebush was designed for a sports carnival and it needs to be redesigned for the best rectangular events sports in the country: eg. a Bledisloe, Australia qualifying for the World Cup, State of Origin," he said

WTF?

Allianz a great little boutique stadium.......not the premium rectangle.
Furious agreement.

Really?? Who comes up with this stuff?
What a wanker.

Can anyone please tell me the meaning of furious agreement?

Why is Parra now allegedly saying they want money invested in Homebush, isn't getting their own new smick stadium good enough !!! @:mad: @:mad:
They must be too embarrassed to hang all their wooden spoons at Parra stadium so want some space at the newly configured Olympic stadium.

Baird has ****ed the Norther Beaches, that he is the Member for, big time.@:mad:

First, with this dithering on the problem of where to spend billions of Tax Payer dollars.
Second, how to tie up the three local Councils' budgets whilst his Amalgamation theory ruins life of Rate payers on the Northern Beaches :banghead::swear:
To be pecise Abbott ****ed the nothern beaches first and then Baird is just following up wth more of the same

How many times is Alliance stadium sold out each year? Once a year maybe if they play a rugby test there?

They would be better off refurbishing Alliance and giving money to local grounds such as brookie, Leichhardt etc

The poblem is that you have people like Alan Jones etc on the cricket ground trust and they lobby heavily for money to be spend in their own backyard and stuff everyone else. Management of the cricket ground treat the oval as though they own it and it is theirs to spend as much taxpayers money on it as possible

Last edited:
It confirms once again that 'Sports Ministers' are invariably chosen from the shallow end of the politico-intellectual gene pool - which is generally pretty shallow from one end to the other anyway. Thinking that destroying one park, to build a new stadium, then developing a new park (not likely anyway, once various sporting groups put up their collective hands for some nicely located real estate) where the old stadium once stood, is a stupid waste of time and money.

Meanwhile north of the Harbour goes begging for some sort of meaningful sports facility upgrades - i.e. Brookvale Oval, which is further out of reach because the Penntacostal Church of Silent P and Mr Fluffy dissolved the steering group (headed by Kerry Sibraa) in 2014.

This is wrong on so many levels.

Homebush always has been and always will be a dump. They should stop wasting money on it. Knock it down and build units.

The premiere ground should be at Moore Park and it should be supported by boutique suburban venues spread across the city. Brookie is obviously the one most in need of urgent attention.

That's how I'd do it, but what would I know, I'm just a sports fan.

What does it mean for Brooky that "The Sydney Roosters, Canterbury Bulldogs, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Wests Tigers, St George Illawarra Dragons and Parramatta Eels were approached a fortnight ago and have been discussing the best way to use the government funding"?

Logically it seems to mean that the NRL believes that neither Alliance nor Homebush are possible future venues for Manly - otherwise we'd be invited. (I'd agree with this assessment) They've even invited Parra as an interested party - even though Parra's supposed to be getting a flash new stadium at Parra.

So in my eyes that seems to narrow down likely future Sydney venues for Manly to Brookie, Nth Sydney Oval, Rat Park and Gosford.

In my eyes, an approach to upgrade Rat Park would probably get more attention than an upgrade to Brookie. It's in a perfect position, can get Warringah Rats to play there, as well as a few games for the Waratahs and Sydney FC while SFS is being renovated.

I have no idea where any of these grounds are but I do know they are named after banks. And that can only be a positive for the game.

I hope to see the day where there are about 30 stadia, all named after banks, situated between Moore park and the Olympic stadium with little or no public transport links.

My fervent hope is that the stadia are as far away from suburban families as possible. Because why make it easy for actual fans to access them.

I'm relying on the government to deliver.

Sydney NRL clubs are considering agitating for $200 million of NSW government funding for suburban grounds as part of a bold stadiums counter proposal that will result in scrapping plans to build a new Pirtek Stadium in favour of diverting resources towards ANZ Stadium.

There is a backlash from several clubs about the government's plan to spend most of the $1.6 billion of redevelopment funds on the levelling and rebuilding of Allianz Stadium. Instead, they want most of the money redirected to ANZ Stadium and are looking at ways to garner the support of other Sydney franchises.

The issues were debated at a gathering of club powerbrokers at Canterbury Leagues Club on Friday afternoon. It is understood the Bulldogs and South Sydney – the two main tenants at ANZ Stadium – led discussions and were hopeful their home ground would receive a bigger slice of the funding pie.

In an attempt to garner support, it was proposed the remaining eight suburban grounds – Pirtek Stadium, Leichhardt Oval, Kogarah Oval, Pepper Stadium, Brookvale Oval, WIN Stadium, Campbelltown Stadium and Southern Cross Group Stadium at Cronulla – receive about $25 million each in funding.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...an-grounds-20160402-gnwrcj.html#ixzz44f9GvbOZ

Great Dogs and Souffs get 750m to "fix" their home ground we get 25m and drag queens have 2 grounds so get $50m what a joke. Move em to Wollongong permanently

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8