What are the bookies thinking re Souths?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
At the start of the year the team we humiliated in the PF was equal comp favourite for some unknown reason. They have lost half a first grade side to other clubs and the game has speeded up which must effect their giants.I just don't get it.Even now they are on the second line of betting behind the chooks and ahead of us.

They are no certainty to make the eight.No better than even money in my book.If there is trouble in camp it wont help but people are not looking at their playing roster properly- they have lost so many players(mainly backs) it ain't funny and gained none. King,Peats,Everingham,Farrell,Hunt just to name a few.

This is a big call but their 3/4 line is almost the worst in the comp. Merrit, Tuquiri, Goodwin and Reddy ffs. They have zero depth out wide and no back up hooker. There first choice rookie 5/8 who they pinned most of their hopes on will miss most of the year. This a COMPLETELY different side to the one last year who didn't get the job done and the bookies just don't seem to have recognized it.

To top it off I think the coach is way overrated at this stage of his career.He had no plan B last year when we started playing footy against them and his tactics have not changed one iota. You will not beat the roosters or Manly at the back end of the year by not playing footy and with their backs you won.t beat many others either.

Usually the bookies get it right-not this time afraid.The vermin are gone.

I agree with you on their backline, outside of Inglis they don't have much. When Beau Champion comes back they will go up a notch or two but still nothing to get excited about. Shut down Inglis and they have very little else.

I hope they do miss the 8

Inglis fires at club level when the going is good.Everything smooth sailing and Greggy is a superstar.Bit of trouble and it all gets too hard.His track record proves it.His semi final series in 08 when the Storm were struggling was a classic example. His game against Brisbane when Sims gifted them a prelim shot was disgraceful as was his GF.

His diabolically lazy return of the football in about the 70th minute today says it all about Greggy at club level and Souths in general this year I'm afraid.He is close to the most dynamic player I have ever seen but only does it when it suits at club level.And it don't suit Greggy in 2014.Too hard.Bye Bye VERMIN.

They're on the second line of betting because the bookies and betting agencies are sure there's just a little more "stupid money" out there.

They can just smell it.

They will win their share of games, but their side is fundamentally different to the last couple of years, and they clearly rely on Isaac Luke more than they care to admit.

I don't mind if the bookies don't fancy us too much tho.. We thrive even more as outsiders these days.

I always thought the loss of Peats was going to be huge for them, and now even more so given the injury to Isaac Luke.

But yes their outside backs are just NRL grade.

The big let down for them this year has been Reynolds. I remember the game we played them last year (was it the one at Gosford?), he won them that game, he was the difference. His kicking and his instincts were just superb. This year he is just nowhere to be seen. And as for Sutton....the most overrated player EVER.

Inglis is a special breed, he is among the best most gifted players I have ever seen, but will go missing more and more this year.

simon64 said:
They're on the second line of betting because the bookies and betting agencies are sure there's just a little more "stupid money" out there.

They can just smell it.
Maybe still very short because there was already a heap of money bet on Souths before the season even started?
@"Bob Dylan" might know more about how this works.

I never really thought Luke was that good a player as well. He's annoys the **** out of me. The vermin premiership window is closed now for another 50 years. Lol@scuof$$$

Killer03 said:
The big let down for them this year has been Reynolds. I remember the game we played them last year (was it the one at Gosford?), he won them that game, he was the difference. His kicking and his instincts were just superb. This year he is just nowhere to be seen.

I like watching Reynolds play and thought last year he should be the Origin half. I watched him closely in the back half of last year though and noticed he tends to be very quite in big games. Whether that's a result of him being shutdown, or the occasion gets to him, I'm not sure, but he great playmakers get themselves in the game, regardless of how much attention they're receiving.

Still think he's worth a shot at Origin given NSW recent record, but I've got big reservations about him handling the games that matter most.

Very strange. They were excellent against Easts then got dropsy against us - and have been getting worse since. It has to be a mental or attitude problem because, on paper, they have a good squad.

mosto said:
Killer03 said:
The big let down for them this year has been Reynolds. I remember the game we played them last year (was it the one at Gosford?), he won them that game, he was the difference. His kicking and his instincts were just superb. This year he is just nowhere to be seen.

I like watching Reynolds play and thought last year he should be the Origin half. I watched him closely in the back half of last year though and noticed he tends to be very quite in big games. Whether that's a result of him being shutdown, or the occasion gets to him, I'm not sure, but he great playmakers get themselves in the game, regardless of how much attention they're receiving.

Still think he's worth a shot at Origin given NSW recent record, but I've got big reservations about him handling the games that matter most.

I reckon the dogs reynolds should get the SOO job. He never gives up no matter how **** his team is playing. He's got that SOO mongrel about the way he plays.

The Who said:
Very strange. They were excellent against Easts then got dropsy against us - and have been getting worse since. It has to be a mental or attitude problem because, on paper, they have a good squad.

In red above, that's a joke right? Please tell me which NRL club the following players would get a first grade start:
1. Tuquiri
2. Reddy
3. Walker
4. Goodwin
5. Turner
6. Tyrrell

They have the worst Backline roster in the comp.

Ralphie said:
The Who said:

In red above, that's a joke right? Please tell me which NRL club the following players would get a first grade start:
1. Tuquiri
2. Reddy
3. Walker
4. Goodwin
5. Turner
6. Tyrrell

They have the worst Backline roster in the comp.
You have conveniently left out Inglis, arguably the world's best back, and Reynolds. But we all know that Souffs' strength should be in their forwards where they have a number of representative players.
I'm not trying to pump up Souffs; I'm just being realistic.

Hang on. Does this mean that Souths are not premiership favourites anymore?

They are always the February premiers ... oops I forgot no-one has ever won a premiership in February or March.

We've played Melbourne, Souths and Easts three of the heavy weights for the premiership.

We only lost to Melbourne by one point and beat the others along with P/matta. :D

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7