• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cf2 is back

Reserve Grader
Matai is obv our priority - and gees it's getting boring waiting for the decision - but in the meantime does anyone know how Whare is going?

Surely he's a huge part of our future esp if Matai does go.

its a different comp to even gauge how he will go.. all i know is the 1 game appearnce he made with us  was pretty good in my eyes..he wouldnt have been quiet if he was playing nrl though .. he would be pumped up with adrenalin completely different to how he plays in toyota cup.

jjai link said:
its a different comp to even gauge how he will go.. all i know is the 1 game appearnce he made with us  was pretty good in my eyes..he wouldnt have been quiet if he was playing nrl though .. he would be pumped up with adrenalin completely different to how he plays in queensland cup.

I thought he played with us three times mate?

good potential coming thru but Matai is playing so well. Amazing what happens when a player is out of contract. Whare offers something different to Lyon, Robbo, Tony, Matai etc in really quick feet and ability to run like Barba, Sandow etc. He is only 20/21 so should have a good future. Also, he has great one on one defence, tough bugger. But doesn't make the yards Matai makes but honestly few centres do!! Whare has the speed on Matai but most centres would be quicker than Steve but not half of his toughness.

Ryan link said:
[quote author=jjai link=topic=184376.msg280060#msg280060 date=1280483479]
its a different comp to even gauge how he will go.. all i know is the 1 game appearnce he made with us  was pretty good in my eyes..he wouldnt have been quiet if he was playing nrl though .. he would be pumped up with adrenalin completely different to how he plays in queensland cup.

I thought he played with us three times mate?
[/quote]REALLY  I JUST REMEMBER ONCE LOL..  sorry  then

mr seagles link said:
plus he plays toyota cup not queensland cup????
  oh yeah  toyota  ::) again i hope i got smited  for them errors ..;D

jjai link said:
[quote author=mr seagles link=topic=184376.msg280108#msg280108 date=1280529385]
plus he plays toyota cup not queensland cup????
  oh yeah  toyota  ::) again i hope i got smited  for them errors ..;D
[/quote]

It might be worth having him play QLD cup in my opinion, tougher comp, give him a feel for what the NRL is like every week.

Darren link said:
good potential coming thru but Matai is playing so well. Amazing what happens when a player is out of contract. Whare offers something different to Lyon, Robbo, Tony, Matai etc in really quick feet and ability to run like Barba, Sandow etc. He is only 20/21 so should have a good future. Also, he has great one on one defence, tough bugger. But doesn't make the yards Matai makes but honestly few centres do!! Whare has the speed on Matai but most centres would be quicker than Steve but not half of his toughness.

I don't think we can use the out of contract one on Matai mate, he has given 100% in every game he has played for this club

as Choc said on the Footy show, it will be a tragedy if we lose him. I rewatched some of that Tigers game again during the week, the 1st 16mins of Matai were awesome. Smashed Fitzhenry to create a turnover, Fulton looked certain to score until Matai came flying in from his position to stop him dead 2m out, then he powered through a tackle to put Foran over. He is still only 25 and can only get better, which is the reason I am riding this signing so much

Whare is young, hes quick and has good hands, but in defence he is soft, a year in QLD cup would do him the world of good, we must keep Matai ! hes young (25), sure he has his injuries but he still puts in 100 percent, he bleeds maroon. I see whare having more potential on the wing, any thoughts ?

Guys, if we want to become more mobile and fast, could we swap Matai to the Backrow, and move one of our Backrowers to the frontrow?

Look at how well both Aubusson (for Roosters), and Lewis (for Panthers) did in that switch.

We could then use Whare in the centres. The way Rodney runs the ball, he could potentially be used as a mobile prop ALA Matt Prior from the Dragons.

We then use T-Rex off the bench as our utility backline / backrow / prop player...again, giving our team a much more mobile and quick feel about it. Something like:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Dean Whare
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams
06. Keiran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Shane Rodney
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Matai
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Ben Farrar
15. George Rose
16. Brent Kite
17. Tony Williams

That would take our lumbering type players (and every team needs one or two lumbering players) to two only in Rose / King - the rest rather mobile...and that's where I think the game is heading???

I also shudder when I think of combinations with Whare / Stewart / Foran.

The only other change I might go with, would be Hoppa for Robbo....but that's in a year or two when:-

a) Hoppa is bigger, faster and more aggressive;
b) Robbo needs a solid retirement plan in the UK (or wants one).   

ryan  i like your thinking i dont care what they say about your yarts some are good like this scenario.. he can cover the backline too(with a slight reshuffle if needed) from the bench if we have any injuries there during the game , we havent had some one like that since menzies.

Don't like it Ryan, for a number of reasons

Mainly being that Matai is too valuable to us in his scoots from dummy half when we are coming off our own line, he always beats the 1st defender. He would also be more of an asset using his power running game wider on the park rather than closer to the middle. Whare's defence is also pretty suspect at the moment, which is to be expected for a rookie though

I also like Matai lurking wider in defence, was interested to hear Braith Anasta saying on the footy show that as a halve you are always looking out of the corner of your eye expecting Matai to be coming

And after listing those reasons, I have left the main one til last. In no way, shape or form is Rodney a front rower

ryan has come up with a mobile pack not a brick **** house too big & lethargic, thats why rodney in front row..doesnt mean he has to stay there all game with rose & kite on the bench..he`s an 80 minute player so he can shuffle around....

Shane link said:
Rodney to front row? better off building TRex,Rodney is short and athetlic
lol ..better of building trex.. do we want to start again with him its taken him 2yrs to know the wing position  with us(&he`s still learning that), how many years will moulding him into a forward take..

jjai link said:
ryan has come up with a mobile pack not a brick s**t house too big & lethargic, thats why rodney in front row..doesnt mean he has to stay there all game with rose & kite on the bench..he`s an 80 minute player so he can shuffle around....

William Hopoate and Dean Whare would be mobile front rowers, doesn't make them front rowers though

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=jjai link=topic=184376.msg280314#msg280314 date=1280625010]
ryan has come up with a mobile pack not a brick s**t house too big & lethargic, thats why rodney in front row..doesnt mean he has to stay there all game with rose & kite on the bench..he`s an 80 minute player so he can shuffle around....

William Hopoate and Dean Whare would be mobile front rowers, doesn't make them front rowers though
[/quote] be realistic kiwi  why would you pick two inexperienced players & compare them to matai & rodney.. rodney is tough enough to handle it  he plays in the forwards any way & matai has the aggression to be in there also..

No I think Kiwi is on to something here, of course we would need to get Cuthbo back and put him on the wing :)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2