1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We'll take pay cuts - Cameron Smith

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by missing_something, Apr 24, 2010.

1. missing_something

missing_something Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We'll take pay cuts - Cameron Smith

* Russell Gould
        * April 24, 2010 12:00AM

DEFIANT Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith yesterday declared his playing group would do whatever it takes to stay together - including pay cuts - and not let the salary-cap scandal cripple his club.

Still coming to terms with the magnitude of the penalties the NRL doled out on Thursday, an emotional Smith last night told The Daily Telegraph he would implore players to fight through the drama together.

As Storm chairman Rob Moodie conceded the playing list would take "huge hits" to get under the cap, Smith said they would try to make it happen without losing anyone.

"There is no way we are going to ask a player or several players to leave so we can be within the salary cap," Smith said yesterday.

"We are a team, not a group of individuals that turn up on a weekend and play football. We're together in everything we do and if we have to be under the salary cap we will do it.

"I believe everyone will be willing to sacrifice a bit of money to stay together, and not let this be the end of what we've worked so hard for.

"We are a strong group, and we'll find a way to keep going. We're not going to let this cripple us."

However, the skipper conceded that pushing on this season, beyond tomorrow's game against the Warriors, would not be easy.

"All we can do now is turn up to training, turn up tomorrow, then after that sit down together and talk about what we do for the rest of the season," Smith said. "People can say play for your pride and all that but it's round seven, we have to turn up for another 20 weeks and give everything we can really for nothing."

But he said the carrot remained to become a force again for future years.

"This is a huge kick in the guts and a huge setback, but come next year, we're in the race again and that's what we need to look forward to," he said. "I know it's miles down the track but we were willing to work hard for eight or nine years, most of us, so I can't see why another 12 months is going to hurt us."

They can't be allowed to do this  - it's unfair and they wouldn't have been able to assemble some of that team if they were'nt over the cap, I thought it was bull**** the bulldogs where allowed to do this years ago and it will be a joke if it's allowed to happen again

2. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    I agree taking pay cuts would not be fair. They should be forced to offload some players but they should also be allowed to renegotiate some of their players contracts.

500k is a lot of pay cuts for a lot of ppl, I can't see anyone taking a pay cut of 40k plus especially if they were offered mire at other clubs.

Tough **** storm you cheated so don't look to us to feel sorry for you. If any of the players were willing and knowing participants they should be forced to sit out the season too

3. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    what do you reckon Smith would be on $450 K
    Slater  on $450 K
    Inglis $500K

4. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    Keeping those three together is probably what made them cheat the cap in the first place.  At least one of those three should be forced out in my opinion.  They are the nucleus of that team and if you take one of them out, they are beatable by a lot of teams (not including us as we can beat them when they are a full strength cheat team).

5. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    The Dogs did this very thing when discovered seven years ago and went on to win the comp a year later.  Notional value of players is important, especially as the league is not going to get the money back that was overpaid to these guys.

6. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Interesting that the over-paid Smith says 'we'll all take a pay cut'.  Will this make up for years of overpayment?  Good for him maybe, but are the others in the team all receipients of overpayments?  Doubt it. 

7. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,795 / 122
    I thought Finch was only 50k. He can take a pay cut of $12.50 per week lol. Yes Cam, that will fix it all up. Instead of griping to the papers you should be demanding answers from your own club. Unless you already know the answers, that is.

8. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    I remember at some point earlier this year or last season starting a topic suggesting that with Cronk, Slater, Smith and Slater all averaging say 400k, then Hoffman and Blair on at least 200k each if not more, that was half the salary cap gone right there on 6 players. Was always unrealistic that the other 19 in the squad, including Origin reps and internationals, would be under the cap

9. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    I don't have a problem with them taking pay cuts to get under the cap for next year. It's a reasonably free market and if they wish to stay at the Storm for less than what they could get at another NRL club then that is entirely up to them. If any NRL club can offer an incentive outside of contract money, such as the chance to win a premiership, play under a certain coach, lifestyle/location, play in a certain position, etc etc , then I don't have a problem with that. I'm sure the lure of living on the Northern Beaches has helped our recruitment over the years. If the Storm players want to get together and shave $700K off their collective salaries then good luck to them. Based on a salary cap of about $4.5mil it is only a about a 7.5% pay cut across the board and they will get there.

10. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    When 4 or more players have been accepting overs for 5 years. Yes, they can afford to take a cut for 1 year.

Its a Joke if its allowed to happen, as with the dogs.

11. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    im sure i read somewhere since this broke that gallop wont allow this to happen after what happened with the dogs

ironic he takes a cut now, is that a real cut
    or just a cut in whats been going out in brown paper bags

hes a scumbag

12. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Someone might be able to refresh my memory but I recall that the Dogs got done at the end of the season not the start, they lost 34 points or something and played out the season with no hope of making the 8 obviously. They then as a group decided to take pay cuts for the following year so that they would be under the cap for that season. I have no problems with that. I think what Gallop said was that he wouldn't allow the players to take a pay cut to get them under the cap THIS season, and he is right, that isn't fair. Next year is a whole new kettle of fish though.

13. TokyoEagle

TokyoEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 4
    If a player is under contract for next year he should be paid at that contract amount, not allowed to reduce to keep the team together. Players off contract would be able to re-negotiate as pleased. This way they would be forced to offload some talent and have to bring in lower quality players on less money to fill the gaps or bring through some of their juniors. If they were forced to let contracted players go they would have to pay out the outstanding money. If this player then went on to play for another team the money he gets paid would come off the Storm bill.