We want a fair go, say manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
MANLY have fired another shot at the NRL, with captain Jamie Lyon yesterday declaring the governing body should foot the bill for Manly fans to travel to the Sydney Football Stadium on Saturday night.
The call came as NRL boss David Gallop revealed that a Manly representative approached the NRL's football department three weeks ago about moving the club's home final from the Sydney Football Stadium to Brookvale Oval.

Undefeated on the northern beaches this season, Lyon said the NRL had taken away Manly Sea Eagle's home-ground advantage for their blockbuster qualifying final clash against the Cowboys on Saturday night.

"If you finish second you deserve to play on your home ground to get a slight advantage," Jamie Lyon said at the captains' call on the SFS yesterday.

"(It) probably defeats the purpose a little bit. I'm pretty sure if it were at Brookvale there'd be a huge crowd with a great atmosphere.

"We were probably just lucky it's the Cowboys really. If it was another Sydney team, I'm sure we'd get overpowered by fans with the likes of the Tigers and the Dragons. It's probably more their home ground.

"We play at Brookie all year. It's our home ground.

"We enjoy playing there and our fans love going there to support us. Of course all the players would love to play there over the SFS."

All 16 clubs agreed in November last year to play all finals at bigger stadiums at the expense of traditional suburban venues.

However, Lyon said the NRL should help the Sea Eagles achieve the home-ground atmosphere they are entitled to by paying for a bus service from Manly to the Moore Park venue.

"Helping our fans get out here, it would definitely help them out a little bit," Lyon said.

"It might be a little bit hard to get families out here for an 8.30 kick-off as well. Hopefully they'll get out here in droves and support our side. Yeah, I think that'd be a good idea."

The Sea Eagles' hunger to play at Brookvale even led chief executive David Perry to discuss his club's options with NRL director of football operations, Nathan McGuirk, three weeks ago. However, Perry and McGuirk both said last night no formal request to move the game was made.

Gallop said playing at larger venues is the only way to ensure all fans get the opportunity to see their side in action.

"We don't want to turn people away at the gate," Gallop said.

"It's the fairest way of dealing with the balance that we've got with the big stadiums and suburban grounds.

"I don't support the idea that you make last-minute changes to venues, as has been suggested over the last couple of years. People need to know where they're going to be and we certainly flagged this before the season started."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/we-want-a-fare-go-say-manly/story-e6frexnr-1226129980135

"People need to know..." What a load of crock. No one knew whether it would be SFS or Homebush until Monday morning... or maybe Sunday because it was clear who we were playing. So to make out anything like people need to know where they are going (or corporates need to know where to deliver the free beer, etc) is a firfy of the highest order.
Mr Galoot's (gallop) dogmatism, pragmatism, and stubbornism (if there is such a word) may have worked well in law but it has ostracised fans from every team in the NRL.
(Morning rant over)

• 👍
Reactions: God
I remember back in 07 when Gallop came running to the Manly club for assistance with relocating the Broncos game which was initially scheduled as a Monday night game at Suncorp, to be moved to Brookvale oval just 3 weeks prior to the game. There was a SOO game scheduled at Suncorp on the Wednesday (2 days after the Mon night game). Gallop and his team stuffed up by allowing fox to select that particular game for a Monday and showed a distinct lack of forsight. Manly fans were left in the cold after having bought airfares and booked hotels.
So NRL, don't use the line that we need to know 12 months in advance where the home finals will be played when you can't even release the regular season schedule more than 6 weeks in advance. Hypocrites.

Wasn't it a fare go....as opposed to a fair go!

I think it was a go at the NRL putting on transport for our fans. I can imagine the uproar of the rest of Sydney complaining about the 'poor' Manly supporters who live in the best part of Sydney (Silvertails) that need a help with a bus fare!

Wait, let me make sure I understand what the Goose is saying this time. Its in the best interest of the fans, and therefore the game, that fans know ahead of time where a particular game is played? I'd agree with that, but I'd argue that the 'when' is pretty important too. Why then do we only find out the date of a game a few weeks before? What happened to giving fans foreknowledge Mr Goose?

Just another dumb Manly response to a media question. Newsflash Jamie: the clubs all agreed during the off-season that these games had to be played at the larger venues. Once again, no apparent strategic guidance, no tactical thought. Therefore another field day for Manly-bashers everywhere.

What he should have said is - 'We understand and accept the reasons why we are playing this game at the SFS. We know we will get a big crowd there. Contrary to popular opinion, Manly fans will come from far and wide to support the team' - or words to that effect.

And some people wonder why we need a new media manager. And yes, I know the role is officially vacant.

This is what happens when a weak leader of our games hands over all rights and control to the media

Storm get a home ground, having finished first.

Manly do not get a home ground having finished second.

Brisbane get a home ground finishing third.

Answer me two things, is that fair and is that suitable NRL leadership?

My thoughts are no and no.

What he should have said, is exactly what he did, answering with his thoughts on it

Phantar said:
Just another dumb Manly response to a media question. Newsflash Jamie: the clubs all agreed during the off-season that these games had to be played at the larger venues. Once again, no apparent strategic guidance, no tactical thought. Therefore another field day for Manly-bashers everywhere.

What he should have said is - 'We understand and accept the reasons why we are playing this game at the SFS. We know we will get a big crowd there. Contrary to popular opinion, Manly fans will come from far and wide to support the team' - or words to that effect.

And some people wonder why we need a new media manager. And yes, I know the role is officially vacant.

Phantar said:

Why dont you go all out & tell the whole club & Silvertails to shut it.

First Bozo & now our captain. Seems like you just cant cope with other peoples opinions.

agree with Phantars response, why is this an issue now when ALL the clubs agreed to it at the end of last year. Why don't the club just shut up about this and try and promote getting as many supporters to the SFS this Saturday without having a whinge.

If we can fill an 80,000 seat stadium in a GF we can definitely fill 45,000 to a semi.

The club should just stop with the whole 'siege mentality'. IT'S GETTING BORING!

Phantar said:

The NRL is suppose to be promoting memberships and let them have first dibs. Let the bandwagoner's who aren't members be locked out. To me this would be a major selling point for the Sydney teams that still play in there suburban grounds to sell memberships.

eagles2win said:
The NRL is suppose to be promoting memberships and let them have first dibs. Let the bandwagoner's who aren't members be locked out. To me this would be a major selling point for the Sydney teams that still play in there suburban grounds to sell memberships.

Bandwagoneers? Are you serious? Some of us aren't well off due to injury therefore cannot work for extended periods (ending soon) so please take your bandwagon bend over and jam it directly in your ass, I've always bled maroon and white and always will

Phantar said:

When you say all clubs agreed on it, you really mean all clubs voted for it except the 3 or 4 sydney teams who would use their little suburban home ground to their advantage, don't you?

The Eagle said:
eagles2win said:

Bandwagoneers? Are you serious? Some of us aren't well off due to injury therefore cannot work for extended periods (ending soon) so please take your bandwagon bend over and jam it directly in your ass, I've always bled maroon and white and always will

Just for you (how I define Bandwagoner) - People that only go for the team when it's going well

How Wiki defines it - bandwagon fan, supporter of a sports team only during a period of success

fair-weather fans - Fans who only follow their team when they are winning.

To me you don't fit in any of those definitions.

But Members should get first dibs (which they do) and the rest the others get.

Agree with that,members should definatly have dibs
Im all for membership dibs
I thought you were using a true supporter terminology
saying that non members are just bandwagoneers,sorry
bout that

Tim Sheens is blowing up about it. Yes, it's too late. But what I have asked previously, but no-one seems to know is:
Who was the genius at Manly who agreed with the rule change at the end of last season? We're told it was unanimous.
I can't believe Manly, Tigers, Penrith, Cronulla or Illawarra would have agreed. If they did then they have all done a disservice to their premiership chances.
Is the unanimous vote true, or just 'spin'.?
Will the decision be reviewed at the end of this season? It may not change things, but I'd like to see Manly vote to revert back to the old system.

The Who said:
Tim Sheens is blowing up about it. Yes, it's too late. But what I have asked previously, but no-one seems to know is:
Who was the genius at Manly who agreed with the rule change at the end of last season? We're told it was unanimous.
I can't believe Manly, Tigers, Penrith, Cronulla or Illawarra would have agreed. If they did then they have all done a disservice to their premiership chances.
Is the unanimous vote true, or just 'spin'.?
Will the decision be reviewed at the end of this season? It may not change things, but I'd like to see Manly vote to revert back to the old system.

Probably Graham Lowe

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4