1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We really haven't adapted

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by lurker, Apr 11, 2015.

1. lurker

lurker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +798 / 33
    The big problem I see for us is that we haven't adapted to the new direction of the game. We have no speed around the ruck. Either in attack or defense. We get penalized for holding every game and our markers are regularly caught out. We suck at two man tackles and we just don't take any gas out of our opponents.

Tactically I don't think Tooves has prepared us properly for the different speed of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,407 / 257
    I don't know if the sloppiness around the ruck is because we're constantly a man or two down because of the injuries or what it is.

We are definitely slow. And fat. And injury prone.

• Like Like x 2
  3. torana355

torana355 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,491 / 27
    I love Toovey as a player and a clubman but he is out of his depth when it comes to coaching. Im sure ill get hammered for saying it but its true. We have other issues that are out of his control like piss weak forwards and injuries but Penrith have alot of injuries aswell.

• Like Like x 8
  4. lurker

lurker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +798 / 33
    We wrestle and hold on too much and we aren't dynamic enough around the ruck. You don't need talent to play the ball quickly. A less than 10m hit up becomes effective if you can play the ball quickly for the next bloke. But at times we aren't getting to dummy half quickly. At others we are slow to have a runner. There is no momentum or planning. With good coaching and a good system crap forwards can gain metres. Melbourne have done it for years. But we don't seem to game plan for the skills we actually have

We just blame the players we don't have

• Like Like x 2
  5. Robeagle

Robeagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 4
    Penrith have more injuries than us but still belted us

6. NewwyEagle

NewwyEagle I sleep in a racing car

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 60
    Only took six ****ing penalties in a row to get them up. We were disappointing in patches but put in a real effort.
    For that entire second half their players lied all over us and nothing, late in the game it was bordering on insanity, yet nothing.
    I'm very proud of our boys for the most part, much better.

• Like Like x 16
  7. the mauler

the mauler Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,653 / 25
    True,but they had Horsehead.

8. Brookie

Brookie Well-Known Member

Swinger Hill
    Ratings:
    +216 / 4
    you know what we haven't adapted to?
    mediocre halves wanting millions, playing like busteds.....

9. castle eagle

castle eagle Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

newcastle
    Ratings:
    +652 / 6
    thats what the fox commentators said tonight but i can only find soward whare simmons brown & wallace listed as injured yet manly are missing(and this is not an excuse for the way they have been playing) gutherson, lawrence, starling, satini, tafua, leary, lyon, mateo and now snake & possibly little turbo.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    I dont think with all the variables you can slate all this home to coaching.

Even aside from our current injuries, no coach can turn a team if the team is filled with apathy due to a tsunami of reasons. Discontent, club politics, players leaving, breakup of long term squad, media circus, etc etc. The players have a fair degree of responsibility in this and no coach can overcome players whos will isnt focused on winning matches.

If you were a coach how do you turn that around ? Noone here really has a believable answer to that.

Besides, Toovey had the team playing well prior to the current debacle so its more than a stretch to claim this teams performance so far this year on poor coaching.

• Like Like x 7
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  11. sheridanstand78

sheridanstand78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 51
    We lack speed around the ruck, Penrith have that and variety with their hooker , we are so one dimensional, we need someone like Jayden Hodges to come in and give us a spark around the ruck, Penrith got quicker play the balls and we were struggling to slow them down. Toovey has to change it now, its a no brainer. Failure to do so will just add to the inevitable.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,407 / 257
    Agree was a much better effort but we can only focus on what we can control and we were sloppy around the ruck.

13. davohan123

davohan123 Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +986 / 56
    We got 0 penalities in the second half

Overall much better attitude u could see they had a dig but we are still a far way behind the reset of the pack this year sadly

Wolfman must be a chance now for next week - surely

I know people will say how after that peformance but I think we will beat the Bulldogs next week even after what we have been through... I will be there to witness it with the other manly faithful

The boys need us more than ever now!!

14. EagleFromMay1967

EagleFromMay1967 In bed before the room got dark.

Blue Mountains these days
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 44
    Toovey wont change anything. He's a conservative coach, old fashioned and i dont really think he knows how to. He's yesterday's man and the sooner a high quality replacement is found the sooner a winning period will return. BUT WHO ?? ?

15. sheridanstand78

sheridanstand78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 51
    He has to now or it will be over for him, we are 1-5 to start this season and what he is doing is not working. that is now 2 wins from our last 12 NRL games, to not change things up will be to his detriment now.

16. EagleFromMay1967

EagleFromMay1967 In bed before the room got dark.

Blue Mountains these days
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 44
    He doesn't know what or how to change. Toovey is gone, he knows it and i predict he will resign

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    Honestly, do all you guys really think its the technicalities or tactics that are the reason why we arent winning games this year ? Or is it possible its more to do with the dynamics of the club at present ?

• Like Like x 6
  18. NYEagle

NYEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,154 / 69
    I don't understand how anyone can blame Toovey for anything we saw tonight.I saw tons of effort from everyone but the halves who are mentally elsewhere, and Hiku who looks lazy and fat.

But without B.Stewart, Mateo, Killer, Taufua, B Lawrence, Starling, and half hearted halves there is simply no attacking punch in the lineup.

Its a sad state of affairs now, and I am quite certain once we get the lions share of the above back we will make a late run. sadly it will be too late to make the eight.

• Like Like x 5
  19. highlandeagle

highlandeagle Still hating Gallop

Ratings:
    +159 / 8
    The who is the Beaver!!! With A Johns and Lyons as assistants

• Like Like x 1
  20. davohan123

davohan123 Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +986 / 56
    Could not have said it better

We are playing busted at the moment

Yes it is a struggle at the moment being a supporter of this proud club but there are worst things in this life that happen to all of us compared to seeing your sporting team struggling in a season

The one thing you will know that it may take a few years of hardship and missing the finals but we will be back bigger and better.

• Like Like x 1