We have moved to the new server! (Please monitor, review and feedback)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi All,

The server migration is complete. We are now hosted out of a datacentre in Sydney, We only get 300GB of transfer per month so I need to monitor this closely over the next few weeks.

We have 30 days to trial this server and if it does not workout then we will have to move as I sunk a fair bit of cash into this newer server.

So if you have any issues with speed or connectivity over the next 2 weeks please let me know ASAP.

I would value your feedback on this as we go.

As for those like me living overseas, unfortunately the site will be fractionally slower for us. This is just due to the distance the data has to travel to get to us. I feel your pain, but it should be largely un-noticable.

As for this in Sydney in particular as well as the rest of Australia should notice things being quite a bit faster.

I need to do some further maintenance on the server including replacing the database server and apache but I will wait until later today when you are tucked up in bed. Mostly we should notice a faster site however.

Cheers
Dan

New Silvertails site

Thank God (or Cliffy) we are back up and running.
Three cheers for Dan.

RE: New Silvertails site

Let me know if it seems any faster for you

RE: New Silvertails site

Seems very fast so far! On mobile via Optus cable & wifi modem

it will get faster too when I change the database over in a few hours

No waiting for page loads. It's lightning fast :D

Unfortunately slower for me on mobile but I haven't done any server optimization yet

As I don't really have anything to add - everything seems about the same and I never use the mobile to go online.....

here's a pic of a man taking a moose to tim hortons!

QMI_MooseAtTimHortons_21_05_2014T062706.jpg_650.jpg

..And here's the story with video!

http://www.boston.com/news/2014/05/22/canadian-best-man-saves-baby-moose-and-takes-tim-hortons/roX7g5nMbE6IADomuWyl7I/video.html

Edit: Obv huuuuge thanks to Mr Dan for doing all the testing, purchasing, and implementing of this with minimal or no disruptions to us. Well done and thanks!

edit edit: I woulda typed.. Hip Hip Jorge! (like the sign) - even though that's not how it's pronounced...but like w/e.

ha its a bit slower at the moment, I just had to replace the database and am now looking at some higher server load. Once that subsides things should speed up again.

It is a lot slower at the moment, because of some issues with the database change over. I am really quite frustrated with it and going to have to leave it for now and then change it all tomorrow as I need some sleep. Will do my best to make sure there is no data loss

All good for me down. Confess to a minor internal meltdown when the site went weird (before I read what was going on).
I've now progressed in my technology education as I'd never 'cleared a cache' before.
Now I'm a graduate cache clearer.:)
Thanks for all your hard work Dan.

Great work Dan! Appears to be pretty quick using my 3G mobile in Sydney.

Dan said:
It is a lot slower at the moment, because of some issues with the database change over. I am really quite frustrated with it and going to have to leave it for now and then change it all tomorrow as I need some sleep. Will do my best to make sure there is no data loss
It's great here, thanks. So fast that I'm going for lunch now :)
But sorry to hear you feel tired and have a headache. :(
;)

Pffft, I gave thanks then the site went all 'error' blah blah mybb internal connections too much contact apollo 11 etc etc

Though all seem well at 1.17am amsterdan time!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7