Wayne Bennett

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yep. And not just sour grapes, but a diversion of convenience. Worthy of a politician.

Bennett is lauded as the Messiah, yet the playing field is so ridiculously sloped in his favour that it makes his record totally meaningless in my eyes.

Just about every time Bennett took the Donkeys to a premiership he had virtually 3/4's of the Qld Origin team playing for Brisbane. Even Peter Sharp would have won with that playing talent available to him.

Another thing about Bennett . They keep saying ' oh he has never lost a grand final' ( note the above post re: virtual QLD SOO team in most of those ) - well although an assistant he had a co coaching role in Canberra's loss to Manly ( yes !!! I was there ) in '87. Oh and another thing while I'm at it , what annoys me more is the RL commentary brigade referring to the Murdoch super league 1997 Brisbane premiership . As far as I am concerned , unless the ARL or major governing body is at least involved in the running of a competition then it's does not count . Does Dennis Lillie's 70 odd World Series Cricket wickets count in his test stats ? No , and that was against the worlds best .

Another thing about Bennett . They keep saying ' oh he has never lost a grand final' ( note the above post re: virtual QLD SOO team in most of those ) - well although an assistant he had a co coaching role in Canberra's loss to Manly ( yes !!! I was there ) in '87. Oh and another thing while I'm at it , what annoys me more is the RL commentary brigade referring to the Murdoch super league 1997 Brisbane premiership . As far as I am concerned , unless the ARL or major governing body is at least involved in the running of a competition then it's does not count . Does Dennis Lillie's 70 odd World Series Cricket wickets count in his test stats ? No , and that was against the worlds best .

Agree the Donkeys have six not seven premierships.

Was odd but wouldn't swap the euphoria of the Tuesday for a result in the initial GF for anything.
Agreed. Everyone in the club thought I'd lost it when I started wildly cheering the '78 drawn grand final.

I'd missed the entire 78 season living in Adelaide, and I was shattered that the last game of the year for me in Adelaide was also ARL grand final day. I was planning on moving back to Sydney the very next day.

I knew in my bones that Manly would win the replay, their fifth sudden death match in less than 2 and a half weeks, and unexpectedly being there at the ground to watch it was totally surreal.

1978 ranks as the year of the perpetual whinge from the Parra club and fans. In one of the finals matches, Manly scored a try off the 7th tackle due to a miscount by Greg Hartley. And ... can you believe it? ... Parra tried to have the match officially annulled and replayed because of this single error. Poor little poppets.

Forget that teams leave their try scoring play to when the ref raises his hand for the last tackle. Forget it was only a semifinal, not a grand final. Forget that Refs make innumerable errors throughout any and every match. Forget that Manly won by more than a converted try.

I still get Parra fans coming up to me complaining about the 7th tackle try in '78.

If the Bronco game plane had not been so negative they may not have been in a position to tie/lose to a last minute try.
By getting the ball of the kickoff the advantage was with the Broncos until the Hunt drop.
All in all suck eggs Wayne.

Agreed TC, but that's not what Bennett said he said he'd be happy for a replay, which I completely disagree with. He also pretty much intimated that he didn't lose because it was 16 all at full time. Like it or not those are the rules and whilst Bennett believes he is above the rules, he isn't.
It was 3 tries to 2

Should've lost on count back

The thing about the Super League war is us ARL loyalists.....we lost

Gallop was our boss and a news limited stooge

History is written by the victors,in this case they lied because everyone knew that Fox was the enemy, the evil ones

What pay tv do you watch NRL on?

1978 ranks as the year of the perpetual whinge from the Parra club and fans. In one of the finals matches, Manly scored a try off the 7th tackle due to a miscount by Greg Hartley. And ... can you believe it? ... Parra tried to have the match officially annulled and replayed because of this single error. Poor little poppets.

Forget that teams leave their try scoring play to when the ref raises his hand for the last tackle. Forget it was only a semifinal, not a grand final. Forget that Refs make innumerable errors throughout any and every match. Forget that Manly won by more than a converted try.

I still get Parra fans coming up to me complaining about the 7th tackle try in '78.

That's what irks me when Cows fans go on about how they were robbed by the 'hand of Foran' try. Cows fans and the media harp on about that but conveniently forget that they scored a try in that game from a 2 on 1 strip on Jorge and in the resulting set of six the last pass for their try (from JT) went almost a metre forward. And then there is the little matter that we still won the game by more than a converted try.

But they were robbed. Just ask them, they'll tell ya.

Lot of responses...
Not sure whether or not these have been answered?
Three questions spring to mind:
1. Would Bennett have accepted the win if his team had kicked the golden point?
2. has his team ever won as a result of a golden point field goal?
3. Did he know that this was going to be the way that the game was going to be decided in the event of a draw? If so, did he agree/ accept?

• 😆
Reactions: Rex
Lot of responses...
Not sure whether or not these have been answered?
Three questions spring to mind:
1. Would Bennett have accepted the win if his team had kicked the golden point?
2. has his team ever won as a result of a golden point field goal?
3. Did he know that this was going to be the way that the game was going to be decided in the event of a draw? If so, did he agree/ accept?

1. Bennett has never liked GP, that's a fact. He's often said that he doesn't like that format. But I'd be willing to bet that he wouldn't be anywhere near as bitter about it if the Donkeys had won the game on a FG in that time.
2. I honestly don't know the answer to that one. Will have to check.
3. He had to know. There is no replay, its all about getting a result. Every coach knows that. He is just bitter that his team lost a GF that really they should have won. But I still maintain that Brisbane's own tactics of trying to protect a 4 point lead for close on 30 minutes rather than trying to score more points to ensure the win was a big contributor to their loss.

Wayne Bennett was the same bitter man when he coached Qld to an Origin series loss. And remember how he was after Australia lost the 2004 Four Nations Final to NZ? He hates losing and frankly is a very poor loser.

There should be no golden point only in grand finals.The game at full time should be given to the side that's finished higher on the ladder.Competition games though should be given one point each.

Fair dinkum, what's the big deal? The Cowboys won. Bennett cracked the sh1ts. Happy days!! :rock:

Of course...if it were Manly that lost, well.....

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8