Watmough [Merged Mega Thread]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Watmough

well someone that was at the meet and greet at the Gold Coast said on FB they asked him straight out if he was going,and he told them that its up to the club to sort it out,but he wants to stay,after some clown got on there saying he just got a phone call from a mate,saying Choc has signed with para,well he copped it,but I think its been deleted npw,so make of it what you will[/align]

effnic said:
. I would rather miss the top 8 all together than win a premiership with tossers trying to hold my club to ransom.
Well there are plenty of clubs you'd be happier following than Manly.
By the way, its not possible for players to hold the club to ransom.
The players are simply frustrated at their own powerlessness, but that is all it is, and its same as it ever was.
Players play, and clubs dedicated to continued success make tough decisions.

master blaster said:
well someone that was at the meet and greet at the Gold Coast said on FB they asked him straight out if he was going,and he told them that its up to the club to sort it out,but he wants to stay,after some clown got on there saying he just got a phone call from a mate,saying Choc has signed with para,well he copped it,but I think its been deleted npw,so make of it what you will[/align]

Probably deleted after I told him to shut the f..k up and stop spreading bull**** rumours.

Mark from Brisbane said:
master blaster said:

Probably deleted after I told him to shut the f..k up and stop spreading bull**** rumours.
yeah I saw you on there Mark,and I also said ,I cant believe how people fall for this garbage

This is "my take" on the story, so I say from the start I don't have a source as such, although as I say above when talking to Giggy he laughed it off and said the media are making a LOT more out of the story than exists.

For whatever reason the Eagles couldn't fit Gifty into their 2015 plans and beyond....I did read at the time he wanted a 3 year contract, and I think we all realise he's getting to the latter end of his career so I can understand them not agreeing to that.

We have some fantastic young Kids coming through, Gutho, the Turbo brothers to name a few, and unless they are upgraded they will leave...and they, along with current young guns Cherry/Fozzie/ Hiku/Tafua / Blair are OUR FUTURE, so you can probably appreciate the retention committee (assume that would be Tooves/Warwick/Perry) would be looking at these guys (with years to play), verses Gifty right at the end of his career.

And don't forget Manly in the past have let players like Bozo / Vautin go all in favour of keeping the future young guns.

So I think the money was used to upgrade them rather than give Gifty 3 years at the money he wanted.

Now rightly so Brett would be peeved off that he couldn't finish his playing days with his brother, and Choc (who isn't the smartest tool in the shed) would just go along as they have been mates for 12 years.

So we then get a bit of "sabre rattling", and no doubt the player managers are a part of this as well.

BUT lets face it, Brett and Choc are Manly through and through, Choc was made a Life Member of the club last year and you can only but imagine Brett will be made the same very soon, after all he is the "Prince of Brookvale" and is one of the two greatest fullbacks in the clubs history.

BOTH are on big money, and for Choc exceptionally big money next year due to the backended deals , so considering that for Gen Y's it is "all about the money" why would Choc cut off his nose to despite his face, put simply he wouldn't and as such will stay.

Making comments like "its up to the club to decide" is crap, he has a contract, he's on big money its NOT up to the club to decide they decided when they gave him a big contract a few years ago!!

The throw away lines at training last week are simply the boys playing with the media, nothing else, this is a relative storm in a teacup!

I'd say both have settled down a bit, realised that the club has to renew itself, and realised that they are a part of the very fabric of the club at present and as such are more than likely to have a job post career.

Its really just the media, and the social firestorm that's keeping this story alive, if it wasn't for them it would be "business as usual".

Many on here (and elsewhere) want to blame our slight form slump on "internal issues", well listening to Toovey, some of the players (on the stage) and talking to a number of them on Sunday night I'd suggest its simply that they cannot keep playing at a consistent 5 star level all year, yes they know they are not 100% at present BUT they also know how to lift when the time comes.

Now I confirm again these are MY OPINIONS only, take from them what you will.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
effnic said:
. I would rather miss the top 8 all together than win a premiership with tossers trying to hold my club to ransom.
Well there are plenty of clubs you'd be happier following than Manly.
By the way, its not possible for players to hold the club to ransom.
The players are simply frustrated at their own powerlessness, but that is all it is, and its same as it ever was.
Players play, and clubs dedicated to continued success make tough decisions.

I barely ever agree with your point of view but this is perfect.

Plus most of the time i argue for the sake of arguing. lol

That's how I see it too Mark.

The ruthlessness in youth over experience is what keeps us competitive. Most clubs hang on too long and need to go through a rebuild once the young ones pass them by.

I'd just love for the club to come out and make some sort of statement or at least reach out to its members, I always feel we're left in lingo with all this crap, it doesn't make it easier when watmough comes out with his stupid little comments !

bennyeagle said:
I'd just love for the club to come out and make some sort of statement or at least reach out to its members, I always feel we're left in lingo with all this crap, it doesn't make it easier when watmough comes out with his stupid little comments !

Isn't that just continuing the firestorm??

They don't need to say anything, both players are under contract.

FULL STOP!

A club in crisis = a team at the top of the table?
That's a very interesting business model.
Knowing how many clubs try to emulate Manly I guess we'll be seeing a raft of clubs trying the 'crisis' model next season.

Mark from Brisbane said:
bennyeagle said:

Isn't that just continuing the firestorm??

They don't need to say anything, both players are under contract.

FULL STOP!

The club won't say a thing at the moment leading onto the finals. I am sure once the season is finished there will be more said.

bennyeagle said:

Not believing journalists lingo, will get you out of your worrying limbo!

They're all still contracted for next year. Hence, I expect them to fulfil their obligations and play to the best their ability. If they're peeved off with Tooves for telling them exactly the same thing, then suck it up boys and get on with the job.

What's Matai going to do next year if his 3 good mates won't be playing with him?

tookey said:
Maybe the coffee shop talk was just a gee up because they knew someone was talking an interest in their conversations?

Was it @"lovefooty" 's coffee shop ?? Perhaps he can confirm said conversation took place.

Seems an unlikely topic for indiscreet public discussion IMO, but who knows.

I feel like I've been transported back to August 2011. This #crisis is being driven by supporters paranoia fed by media fkwits whose sole agenda is to destabilise us as it appeals to the moron masses (i.e Souffs, Parra, Dogs, Tigpies supporters). Can we please just calm down and enjoy our team fighting for another title again. These guys all have contracts and 2V has already said no one is being released early. No reason for the club to come out every 2nd day to hose down the fires created by media hacks who are full of sht. If they are that unhappy and feel the need to move on then that's their choice and it will be a very poor one at that. Sometimes people's egos are writing cheques that their bodies can't cash ( sorry for the Top Gun quote).

This process of a player having a couple of good games and being under contract for a further year and a half anyway BUT his manager angling for extensions and upgrades in the media is becoming epidemic.

We aren't the only club to be the victim of it - the Knights are about to feel it with Sione Mata'utia and all his brothers. Under contract for some time but already angling for massive $$$$ after 1 good game.

It's where your CEO and retention committee either make or break your club. You cant be held to ransom ( unless your dealing with an absolute superstar maybe ) - I am confident our blokes have the runs on the board in this department and wont fall into managers newspaper hysteria traps.

mickqld said:
Sometimes people's egos are writing cheques that their bodies can't cash ( sorry for the Top Gun quote).

Never apologise for making Top Gun quotes. Gutsiest move I ever saw.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6