Wasted talents

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I wonder who are the most talented players who never fulfilled their potential due to off-field issues. Carney is pretty talented as he showed last year, so he is a candidate. Tim Smith comes to mind, but after a few drinks I can't actually think of anyone else - but there must have been many others.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Owen Cragie maybe

I agree with this, had he got fit and not gone missing second week (a bit like the current souths halves do every second week) he could had been anything.

I remember looking at Tim Smith at the start of his second season with Parra thinking he would be driving trucks at the end of the season.

Just go down to your local every friday night and look at the middle age bloke who seems to be a little too angry watching the footy. Rest assured he would have been a very talented player but drunk/partied away his chance and what he wouldn't give for another go. IMO instead of group sessions with counsellors and talking to blokes who have made it, young footy players should go spend a few hours with these blokes to realise its not all about talent.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I wonder who are the most talented players who never fulfilled their potential due to off-field issues. Carney is pretty talented as he showed last year, so he is a candidate. Tim Smith comes to mind, but after a few drinks I can't actually think of anyone else - but there must have been many others.

The McGuinness brother's? Or maybe they were just ****e, I can't remember. Kevin had a season down at Brooky, after past indiscretions.

He had a few seasons at brookie and actually was a pretty good centre for us. Our defence was woeful that year but he could ind the tryline

There was another one too, name starting with K I think (not Kane Cleal). He was a big centre who could put on a hit and cart the ball up, but just never learned to tackle.

Last I saw him I think he was playing for the Sunshine Coast

Karl something or other.....fark what was his name

Google is my friend. Karl Johnson. He looked like he had some talent but just faded away. To his credit he played with our lower grades and kept plugging away. And was back under the Sunny Coast too.

As for wasted talent I don't know

My goodness there have been a few in the 42 years I have followed Manly! Quite a few pommies along the way too.....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6