Waldron leaves Storm

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
MELBOURNE Storm NRL chief executive Brian Waldron has defected to the new Super 15 rugby union franchise Melbourne Rebels.
The Rebels, who are set to join an expanded competition in 2011, lured Waldron across after five years in his position with the NRL champions.
The Storm staff, coaches and players were told of his departure today.

Waldron's position at the Storm is to be filled by the club's former chief operating officer Matt Hanson, who takes over the position, effective immediately.

Hanson was a former chief financial officer of the St Kilda Football Club, and general manager finance and administration at Etihad Stad

This franchise will just add to the Unions troubles.  Falling crowds, both live and TV will add to monetary pressures on an already stretched union budget.  Union is just such a bad TV product.  Way to slow, not enough action on field and mystifying rules and interpretation.  Plus the talent in Australia just isn't there.  If the Storm can get only 16K at a game being successful, why would anyone think an unsuccessful union team will pull a crowd. 

Waldron is no slouch though. When the rebels collapse we should try to get him over to us

I'm not convinced but you may be right Dan. If we want to hang on to the "No one likes us, we don't care" theme then he would be ideal. Not exactly a personality than engenders understanding or friendship (like Todd Greenburg for example).

The other main attribute of a CEO is to get sponsorship, keep a steady ship of backroom staff and ensure that the books balance.

Hostplus and Members Equity Bank are their two big ones, and Suzuki and Jayco head a list of good signings along with what are really prop-up types like Ch 9, Harvey Norman, Fox Sports, Herald Sun (one town newspaper).  But he gets a tick from me for the list of high profile sponsors.

The fact that they figure so prominently each year says he has the back office and sports/medical team humming. However, he can't get close to balancing the books. Maybe someone can explain how you can reach the GF 4 years in a row and still drop a bundle.

DSM5 Melb has 5 times the amount of Union players/comps than league. They will pull much bigger crowds than the Storm mate.

There is 1 Rugby League comp down here, with about 10 teams in total.

In the Union there are about 7 grades, with about 8 teams in each. Thats the only reason I was playing Union down here. The nearest team is about 10 minutes from my joint, the nearest league team is 40 minutes away, and I am in the Metro area!!

If someone such as news ltd underwrites them why would they be concerned with losing money?  They obviously invest heavily in all areas of football operations and can afford to do so without worrying too much about the bottom line when daddy just props them up each year.  

Dan link said:
Waldron is no slouch though. When the rebels collapse we should try to get him over to us

good call. hate to say it but i think the current CEO has a limited shelf life (i hope i'm wrong though, he seems like a good bloke for a Kiwi).

ManlyBacker link said:

But he gets a tick from me for the list of high profile sponsors.

I don't yet understand this tick.  The thought is if Waldron is successful in the sponsorship realm, then with a team consistently at the top of the competition, why do the rest of the teams reportedly still need to kick in $8m (?) or so per year (funnelled out of Rugby League revenues and through News Ltd) to support Storm losses?

If Manly got a free 6 or 8 Million without lifting a penn, I'd think good thoughts about any CEO.

clontaago link said:
DSM5 Melb has 5 times the amount of Union players/comps than league. They will pull much bigger crowds than the Storm mate.

There is 1 Rugby League comp down here, with about 10 teams in total.

In the Union there are about 7 grades, with about 8 teams in each. Thats the only reason I was playing Union down here. The nearest team is about 10 minutes from my joint, the nearest league team is 40 minutes away, and I am in the Metro area!!

Yeah and any storm crowd is full of bros and islanders.  They will be outta there in 5 minutes when there is yawnion to watch. 

With news getting out of the storm it wouldnt surprise me if they folded within a decade. 

I hate to say it but i wouldn't like the Storm to fold, League has to have a team in Melb.. Rugby may be bigger down Mexico way than League but the NRL (or whoever is running the game) has to keep that foot in the door.

I wouldn't lose one second of sorrow over the demise of the Storm. If a club can't stand on its own feet, it doesn't deserve to be subsidised.

Canteen Worker link said:
I wouldn't lose one second of sorrow over the demise of the Storm. If a club can't stand on its own feet, it doesn't deserve to be subsidised.
Except Manly of course.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=182248.msg249146#msg249146 date=1263640626]
Except Manly of course.
[/quote]We have to stand on our own two feet as well, and if the boffins involved in our club don't realise that they need a good punch in the head and to be dragged by the hair into the 21st Century. We have a very marketable product, but Brookvale needs to be upgraded to be a modern ground and a few of the 'sandwich'brigade might need to think about attracting new fans and extending the market rather than keeping the 'dinosaurs' happy!!!

Canteen Worker link said:

Narrow minded view.  I want RL to grow around Australia not just be successful in NSW and QLD. 

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2