Vote: Experience or Youth?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Which team would you prefer to run out on Sunday against the Eels?

• Current Team named for Rd 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Rookies!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

King

Reserve Grader
Team for Round 2
1 Michael Robertson
2 Tony Williams
3 Chris Bailey
4 Steve Matai
5 Ben Farrar
6 Jamie Lyon (c)
7 Kieran Foran
8 Jason King (c)
9 Matt Ballin
10 Josh Perry
11 Anthony Watmough
12 Shane Rodney
13 Glenn Stewart

14 Terence Seu Seu
15 Brent Kite
16 George Rose
17 Matt Cross
19 Joe Galuvao

Rookies
1. Will Hopoate
2. Michael Robertson
3. Steve Matai
4. Jamie Lyon (c)
5. Ben Farrar
6. Kieran Foran
7. Trent Hodkinson
8. Jason King (c)
9. Matt Ballin
10. Josh Perry
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Shane Rodney
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Terence Seu Seu
15. Brent Kite
16. Chris Bailey
17. Joe Gulavao
18. Matt Cross
19. Tony Williams

By the way didn't the "baby Bronco's" have a win on Friday night....I see absolutly NOTHING to lose over giving the young guns a run.

Any team that has no T-williams in it is already ahead of the game.

I still vote for immediately rebuilding your squad and focussing on building an all round team and blooding youngsters. So my vote is obvious, of course I said the same thing last year too

I haven't voted, because I am in both camps in a way

I would love to see youth, if the option they provide is at least equal to what they are replacing (injuries aside)

So on that rationale, Whare over Williams is realistic
Lyon for me is set in 6, so is it worth moving Foran after 1 match of 7 ? Debatable
Hopoate, I just can't convince myself he is ready for NRL at this stage and would be a better option that Farrar and even Robbo

Has to be a good balance and that rookies team is the go for me.  But swap Lyon and Foran around, having 2 rookie halves is not a good move and Lyon is a excellent 5/8. If Hoppa is not ready swap him for Whare and juggle the positions, but either way no more than 2 debutants. 

I love how every rookie on Manly's books is a world beater just looking for his big break.

and i love the way you conveniently forget we WON the reserve grade comp (2nd best standard in the country) and were MINOR PREMIERS in toyota cup.

logic would suggest we have probably the best talent going around.

we also have an early injury crisis with 2 australian players out long term in key positions

young emerging talent is everywhere across the comp this year,most notably at the strong clubs.

what exactly is your point.

From Wombat on, as a Manly fan I have never been more excited than when some great young talent is just breaking into the top grade. I would love to see players like Hoppa Whare Lussick get a run. I hope they are ready.

On the other hand I'd make 2 points. First, every hot young talent does not actually make the grade. A. Groom anyone? Second, even the ones who will make the grade are not ready until they are ready. Someone has to make that call, I'm happy for it to be Des at this stage. Can't say I agree with putting them in just for experience if they are not yet superior to the incumbent.

susan ridgepipe link said:
and i love the way you conveniently forget we WON the reserve grade comp (2nd best standard in the country) and were MINOR PREMIERS in toyota cup.

we also have an early injury crisis with 2 australian players out long term in key positions

young emerging talent is everywhere across the comp this year,most notably at the strong clubs.

Minor premiers in toyota cup, fair enough, but I'd say that the cream of that team has been recognised, JWH and Foran given an NRL berth already, DCE and Lussick in the squad. I don't understand what your point is....do we just run out the entire NYC team because they are young and minor premiers ?

I assume by Reserve Grade Premiers you are referring to the Qld Cup competition ?? This is the same top level competition that Morwood was player of the year in and T-Rex was man of the match in the GF. They obviously shone in the second best comp in the country so they'd have to be at least solid in NRL you would think. According to many here Deadwood isn't even fit to lace an NRL players boot and T-Rex was the reason we lost on Monday night and was woeful last year. So winning the QLD Cup automatically qualifies you to be a success in the NRL ? Is that your point ?

My point was that just because they are young and play for Manly doesn't mean they are going to be guns. It's a massive step up in class from NYC and QLD Cup to NRL level. Do you not recall our last two great white hopes, Aaron Groom and Luke Dorn.......many experts on here wanted them to get a start and swore blind they would kill it.......where are they now ?? You could add Dallas Rennie, Karl Johnston and a few other next big things to that list as well

I hope that Whare, Hoppa Jr and Lussick turn out to be great players for Manly, but just wanting to put them in the side because they are young and you read in a thread somewhere that they could play is ridiculous.     

Chip & Chase link said:
[quote author=susan ridgepipe link=topic=182669.msg255172#msg255172 date=1268851752]

Minor premiers in toyota cup, fair enough, but I'd say that the cream of that team has been recognised, JWH and Foran given an NRL berth already, DCE and Lussick in the squad. I don't understand what your point is....do we just run out the entire NYC team because they are young and minor premiers ?

I assume by Reserve Grade Premiers you are referring to the Qld Cup competition ?? This is the same top level competition that Morwood was player of the year in and T-Rex was man of the match in the GF. They obviously shone in the second best comp in the country so they'd have to be at least solid in NRL you would think. According to many here Deadwood isn't even fit to lace an NRL players boot and T-Rex was the reason we lost on Monday night and was woeful last year. So winning the QLD Cup automatically qualifies you to be a success in the NRL ? Is that your point ?

My point was that just because they are young and play for Manly doesn't mean they are going to be guns. It's a massive step up in class from NYC and QLD Cup to NRL level. Do you not recall our last two great white hopes, Aaron Groom and Luke Dorn.......many experts on here wanted them to get a start and swore blind they would kill it.......where are they now ?? You could add Dallas Rennie, Karl Johnston and a few other next big things to that list as well

I hope that Whare, Hoppa Jr and Lussick turn out to be great players for Manly, but just wanting to put them in the side because they are young and you read in a thread somewhere that they could play is ridiculous.     
[/quote]
very very good post... how evey what have we got to lose.
rookies 4 me.
i though dirrrent 7 day a go though but we all would have 1 guess

ps sorry about the 2 posts

Wtf was that all about?  What I'd like to see is Hodkinson as half, Foran in the centres and Farrah at fullback.  I think we'll beat the Slime but I'd feel more confident with those changes.

DSM5 link said:
Wtf was that all about?  What I'd like to see is Hodkinson as half, Foran in the centres and Farrah at fullback.  I think we'll beat the Slime but I'd feel more confident with those changes.
I'm pretty much on the same page with you.  We can't afford to bring in both of Hopoate and Hodkinson at once.  TH has served the longer apprenticeship so he could come in, with atention then shifting to who is *best* at fullback - a spine position.  For mine this could be either Farrar or Foran, though I lean towards Foran because you want your fullback to have some play-making ability.  Foran has, Farrar doesn't.

Critically I don't want to see Williams anywhere in the backline. 

The thing with fullback is that it is a critical spot in terms of positional play, so some experience playing there would be essential in my book. I'm not adverse to giving Foran a go there, but wonder whether he may be a little out of his depth having never (I assume) played there. The only thing in our favour is that Parra don't have a noted kicking game. I also agree that Farrar is probably a better option than Robbo, but once again I don't recall Farrar having a lot (if any) experience at fullback. Nothing against Robbo but he just didn't seem to make any impact at the back last year. Happy to see how Farrar goes and reassess from there.

If we move Foran to 1, 6 or centres than the only change that will force is to bring in Hodkinson, which is enough blooding for one game for my liking. Can't see the sense in wholesale changes with Hoppa, Whare and Hodko.

Knowing Des though, and his repeated use of Beaver at centre when we were short a few seasons back, I fully expect that Bailey will line up there as per the side named.

where the realism in erasing my post cos' u don't like the truth ... you were going off that foran was half back (shoud b 5/8 or center) we have players out of position all over th place. now u want him at full back???
but hey im a newbe must of started to support manly last week.

No, you're just an illiterate goon, barely capable of stringing two words together coherently. 

I am not going off about Foran at halfback, that was someone else.  Comprende?  I do not want to see Robertson at fullback as he is a proven non-performer in the position, nor do I want to see Williams playing 80 minutes in our backline. 

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6