Virtual Bookie??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
So I was approached as to whether we had a virtual bookmaker application as part of this site.

We don't, and unfortunately there is no pre-existing code for either the forum software we use or the back-end that we use.

As such I may have to write my own, because it sounds like a really good idea.

Before I start though I wanted to get some feedback and information as to what you would normally see and expect in one of these mods as i have never used one before so will largely be writing it out of my imagination :)

So first of all, would anyone be interested in having such a mod/game on the site?
and what would you want as part of this feature?

Dan

I know all about odds and being a bagman. But why would anyone want it on this site and where would you see it being used? Seems a strange request.

If it's not bad enough that we have self-confessed gambling addict Warren updating the odds as "news"during the broadcasts we now have to put up with it here? 

Well its more about fun, kind of like virtual football in a way.

What you win is nothing but bragging rights, a nominated bookie, sets odds on games or specific things like for instance "When will Matabele post something about Mugabe?" and we set odds on certain days.

Its more for a bit of fun than anything else, and from the brief research that I have done, it seems pretty popular on many sites.

It seems so far thats 2 against 1.

I also added an arcade last night for games, I have always been against them on forums and sites, but again the research I have done, shows that they can be incredibly popular.

So i figure add them and see if people enjoy them

but is a forum centric site a good value site?

I can't easily find a free web application.

To me you would have to set up accounts with virtual dollars for each ST member so that they have a pool from which to bet. Otherwise there are bragging rights but no actual reward and the odds component becomes meaningless.

Then as each betting market was framed, the software would have to rerate the odds after each bet was placed. You would have decide what the market percentage is - 100% would be easiest but real bookies would have a market from 110% upwards. Then it would have to be coded to add back a winning bet to the members account. You would have to make it date/time limited.

If you can find any site that uses them I can have a look at it for you.

I misread it.  I thought you were going to live stream the odds on NRL games.

If it's just a game I don't care.  You might buy yourself lots of squabbles and goading though.  Can you imagine Fro trying to bait me into a Mugabe post, or me trying to not respond to Cam selling his pizzas? 

MB,

The account stuff is already there. I would start with it an "earning cash system'

so setup STCash, everyone gets say $50 by default. they can use that to bet with, but if you go bust, you have to earn cash.

To earn cash you either need to post an article, post a topic or reply and other various things.

So basically participation earns you points for using within the game.

As for the odds etc, well instead of them being automated they are instead managed by our "bookie" in this case we have a current volunteer for this.
They update the odds dependent on their criteria, though I guess we could in fact have some automation on this, which wouldn't be too hard to write.

later, as next year I am planning on starting some ST merchandise with shirts and stubby coolers, some of your points will be able to be translated into real discounts on the site, they wont be massive discounts as obviously I need to cover costs of buying merch.

But I think it has some value as an idea

If it's some kind of virtual game then ok (sounds fun), if it's ever to develop into real gambling, give it a miss, there's a thousand too many sites already.

"or me trying to not respond to Cam selling his pizzas?  "
$1.01 for this to happen by 7th June.

yeah thanks for that mate.

It will never ever be real gambling, for several reasons

1) i am not a gambler, I feel ill when I put $1 in the pokies whilst my wife goes to the bathroom

2) It's not strictly legal for us to have proper gambling in that form

Dan link said:
MB,

The account stuff is already there. I would start with it an \"earning cash system'

so setup STCash, everyone gets say $50 by default. they can use that to bet with, but if you go bust, you have to earn cash.

To earn cash you either need to post an article, post a topic or reply and other various things.

So basically participation earns you points for using within the game.

As for the odds etc, well instead of them being automated they are instead managed by our \"bookie\" in this case we have a current volunteer for this.
They update the odds dependent on their criteria, though I guess we could in fact have some automation on this, which wouldn't be too hard to write.

later, as next year I am planning on starting some ST merchandise with shirts and stubby coolers, some of your points will be able to be translated into real discounts on the site, they wont be massive discounts as obviously I need to cover costs of buying merch.

But I think it has some value as an idea

Dan, this would be brilliant IMO. The more features, the better. (if you can keep up with maintenance?)

Early odds:

Will the virtual bookie be brought in?
Yes $1.85
No $2.20
Elephants $150

Will DSM5 write a positive post about Orford?
No: $1.00000000001
yes: $1 bajillion dollars

What compromising photos does Bailey have of Dessie?
with a goat $1.10
all his broken doors $2.50
him and Zorba together $150

I think its a GREEEAT idea

ManlyBacker link said:
No probs Dan. The volunteer bookie hopefully understands about making book percentages or I will clean ya out :)

As BE said, fixed odds only. If i implement a real cash reward for merch, it will only be a very limited amount per item so I know the exact discount up front etc

Dan link said:
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=183417.msg263870#msg263870 date=1275011579]
No probs Dan. The volunteer bookie hopefully understands about making book percentages or I will clean ya out :)

As BE said, fixed odds only. If i implement a real cash reward for merch, it will only be a very limited amount per item so I know the exact discount up front etc
[/quote]
Fixed odds, whatever. I was just referring to the 'points' that could be collected. Don't make a book with less than 100%. If the term book percentages means nothing I'll give a private lesson to whoever.  Cheers

sounds like we may have another volunteer :)

Best bet is getting the odds from 1 of the many betting agencies & making them a bit juicer & also have some more exotic things as well

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6