Views on Bulldogs Game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Compared to both of our games against the Bulldogs last year our overall performance was more composed, disciplined, more sharp and direct plus we maintained the intensity for longer periods.

The squad this year has the right balance of size and speed, fitness levels are better players are sharper, better forward rotation, more effort in defence to flood numbers around the ball(which is mainly all about a better attitude but improved fitness/depth and mobility levels also help in this regard) and our attack is improving but still a long way to go in this department.

The no mistake sharp directness of our go forward combined with high line speed defence in the Doggies own half in the early exchanges did not let up and when we finally had a set in the red zone we scored early.

The first try was nothing special and mainly due to the lack of line speed of the Dogs outside backs shutting off the play.

What also created the first try was the beautiful one motion catch and pass from DCE to Foran which saved 0.3/0.5sec in delivery time catching the outside Bulldogs defence a few metres short of where they should have been. This allowed Brett time to have few steps to hold the defensive line in giving more space for the overlap when he eventually passes.

Loved the shorter pass to DCE from Ballin which keeps DCE more central when he is ball playing which encourages him to pass early and direct without cramping his outside options.

Foran has more freedom to venture in the middle or right side, there was the occasional glimpse last year but this year you can see it has been encouraged more at training in the pre season. I'm actually liking the added hole running option and more simple hard tough running lines of Symonds on the right edge off DCE, it is sharper more direct and is less about finesse.

To me at times G.Stewart is over ball playing and good defences are either just over sliding flooding and defending in numbers off his outside hip or we go through too many hands and not direct enough allowing defences to rush up early.

Let's not forget that G.Stewart is part of the forwards and has to run sometimes as a yardage gainer or even as a strong running outside back rower and he is not doing this enough in my opinion to threaten the defence on that side, Symonds is offering this change and it is nice to see.

I'm not saying we should not pick G.Stewart but I think he has to start running some hard straight lines occasionally to mix things up. G.Stewart does have good mobility and size and can bust through tackles just needs to ease back a little on the ball playing every now and then.

The great part of the game is we scored early and from that point on we controlled the game. The Bulldogs started to feel under pressure coughing up the ball at regular intervals after the try( I think 3 or 4 times) but the worst part of our performance was this period in the red zone also.

We should have finished off the Dogs with another try during this period but lacked patience, composure and good attacking structures when it counted. I know in the modern game teams don't waste as much time with settles up the middle or a few jabs in attack before launching one big play but at times we go for the big play too early.

At times hitting early in the tackle count is great and some settles during oldschool games of league I felt were just wasted tackles due to lacking any ideas. Manly though are still striving for the right mix of early attack and composed well thought out attack that can sustain pressure throughout the entire set.

More science and thought with our attack is required too often we don't sustain enough pressure in our attacking sets coughing up the ball way too early when a little composure and patience is all that was required and the defence would have wilted.

Wow. I had no idea about that 0.3-second saving.
I enjoy your analysis TC. To my simplistic eyes I think we are better because: Horo, Lawrence, Richie and Symonds are much more energetic in defence and more direct in attack than the forwards they replaced.
We have also been lucky with injury and suspension, so far, with just one regular first grader unavailable.

The Who said:
I enjoy your analysis TC. To my simplistic eyes I think we are better because: Horo, Lawrence, Richie and Symonds are much more energetic in defence and more direct in attack than the forwards they replaced.
We have also been lucky with injury and suspension, so far, with just one regular first grader unavailable.

Totally agree, for many years we needed more direct straight punch with our go forward, more depth to sustain the intensity with our rotation and overall mobility improvements--- we have recruited really well. Toovey is doing everything right in recruitment and spotting our weaknesses in attack and defence---we get our attack more clinical and better structured we win this comp easily barring injuries.

We are doing things at a higher intensity and for longer periods than all teams in the comp at the moment, we are a step above other than our attack.

The Dogs remind me of 2009/2010 Manly off the pace too big and lacking desire doing more of the same as last year. The Storm look brittle partly due to fatigue but I don't see enough improvement in them this year to threaten us when we are in form at full strength.

The Who said:

If you watch the replay of our first try look closely at DCE releasing the ball as fast as possible in one motion, not even allowing himself that added time to spiral the pass more just pushing it along the line. It might have been picked up that the Doggies outside backs can be caught out with an earlier pass.

The Who said:
TC can I ask in all seriousness what coaching qualifications do you have, I'm not being a smartarse I really enjoy your analysis and am curious.
Also how many times do you watch the game I'm guessing multiple by the .3-.5 second call.

I was wondering how long it would be until someone took offense on behalf of Gift. Interesting analysis as usual TC.

You missed a comma in the second paragraph, but otherwise a good post.

Defensively I have noticed one thing that stands out most with Foran, but happens on both sides.

We are condensing in the middle but keeping out outside men, well outside. Leaving two link men in defense to do extra work to close the gap and slide and recondense around the ball.

Foran stands out the most here as he covers a lot of metres very quickly but his running style makes it look like an age before he gets there.

It's actually not that new of a tactic overall but it is new in our competition when compared to how defense is currently run, which works off of and around how the attack works.

It's therefore fairly revolutionary and will keep a lot of teams trying to work out how to get around it. The answer is fairly simple to that in theory, but harder in practise

Easier to win games when your forwards dominate. Time and space are your attacking best friends. Bulldogs side on Friday was a poor substitute of what we faced last season. We were better than last year, they were worse.

I did like the very frugal use of block / decoy plays. I think we only ran it half a dozen times. Bulldogs on the other hand, pretty much relied on it every set in attack. What did you make of that TC ?? Bulldog specific plan of attack on our part or is it the way of the future ??

The Who said:
I love this bloke. So much more interesting that Bennett and Despicable who would bore a cadaver to death.
Sorry Who, I gave him his own thread, as it sort of detracted from TC's intellectual post. :blush:

It makes me wonder whether players like Buhrer and Gift are going to fit with the current tactics. Gift has been a sensational tackler for years and I always chuckled to myself when a big bopper thought that would be an easy way through. Clearly we are getting attacking line speed through the likes of Lawrence, Choc, Fa'aosa and Kite and using Foran and DCE to link it out wide, but we are winning the games on defense through Ballin, swarming forwards and our centres. I agree with TC that we need further development in our attacking options.

I think rather than carrying hulking forwards like Mauro and Rose we have shifted towards athletic power forwards. Every time Lawrence gets the ball he bends the line. This is pivotal for our momentum and allowing the halves to kick the ball into the corner and pin in dangerous opposition backs.

Get off the fence TC. Was it 0.3 or 0.5 seconds? The inside work provided the space, and Snake's early ball together with Taufua's aggressively flat positioning provided the death blow. Snake is unsurpassed at reading when the early flat ball is to be thrown.

Recruitment - outstanding. Defence - killer. All the more remarkable given the atrocious ball handling.

When the D works, huge pressure is taken off the attack. There'll be ups and downs, but injuries permitting we have the personnel to be a serious attacking force come Sep when it counts. And the dominance of playmakers in the coaching ranks suggests we have the smarts to get the best out of them.

Daniel said:
You missed a comma in the second paragraph, but otherwise a good post.

Defensively I have noticed one thing that stands out most with Foran, but happens on both sides.

We are condensing in the middle but keeping out outside men, well outside. Leaving two link men in defense to do extra work to close the gap and slide and recondense around the ball.

Foran stands out the most here as he covers a lot of metres very quickly but his running style makes it look like an age before he gets there.

It's actually not that new of a tactic overall but it is new in our competition when compared to how defense is currently run, which works off of and around how the attack works.

It's therefore fairly revolutionary and will keep a lot of teams trying to work out how to get around it. The answer is fairly simple to that in theory, but harder in practise

A bit of A (TC) and a bit of B (Dan) here.

That defensive tactic looks to be something Tooveys tried to work on last season, but it did concede a lot of yards if the opposition could get it outside quickly. Even against the Broncos this year, we saw Hodges make a lot of metres against it.

But since then it has restricted the movement wide. I only got to watch the first half against the Dogs and don't recall them doing any damage with a wide attack, unlike our 2012 match-up.

It will be interesting to see how it works against the Bunnies on the back of their go-forward up the centre. A real test for it's worth.

RL Gronk said:
The Who said:
TC can I ask in all seriousness what coaching qualifications do you have, I'm not being a smartarse I really enjoy your analysis and am curious.
Also how many times do you watch the game I'm guessing multiple by the .3-.5 second call.

No qualifications never coached in my life just got in the habit of viewing performance in slow mo detail from the age of 8 on VHS with many sports.

Most defences these days are up/in/then slide---our experience in the centres with two of the best defensive pro active readers of the game in Lyon and Matai is one of the major reasons we have 2 GF wins.

Basically you come up then the outside backs come in---the inside defenders slide behind the up and in outside in defenders to cover the inevitable overlap if the up and in does not shut it off in time.

The winger more often than not follows the centres lead Robertson and Williams made excellent up and in choices with not too much lag following up and in with the centers other structures keep the winger back more often or they come up not as far and slide.

Duffie was dropped for not coming up and in quick enough hanging back and not taking the time away from the outside attacking backs from the little i saw of that game against Brisbane but the Storm have more than one defensive issue out wide and through the middle.

In simple terms always shut off the short option with a flood of numbers around the ball forcing longer passes deeper passes or kicks.

The 17:17 attacking play where DCE hits the lead running Symonds i actually don't mind this play even when it is easily read as it sets up the deeper play when defences fatigue or are not as sharp.

As a change up i would like to see this same play again Foran or Brett is the deep second man option but i would like the pass to go between the lead runner and second man player(Foran/Brett) and hit Jamie Lyon on the run. Sometimes the up and in will go into auto rush up mode to shut off the second man play which will open up a hole for Jamie or an easier more direct 2 on 1 play cutting out one pass in the sequence.

The team looks more focused and very determine. Something great happened on the off season , our attack is more direct ( not meaning to be critical , I believe our attack will only get better ) in attack it seems we have more options , and foran has taken up Joey's move when he darts and creates over lap on the blind. ( gf 97 joey/ winning try ).

Defense is outstanding the stats speak for themselves.
Should beat sharks

I'll say it again - Lawrence buy of the year.

Ps - TC top stuff !!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7