Vic Mauro signs new 2 year contract extension

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Wasn't sure how to post this as a news paper article.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/delighted-mauro-extends/

I was just watching a 15min clip on everyone's favourite video website on the GF and the first time with the Fox commentary...that plus re-signing news from Vic and the others puts everything back into perspective. Outstanding being a Sea Eagle

Great news, I have been impressed with the young fella.

Does anyone know why we these recent signings are for only 2 year contracts and why aren't we trying to lock them in for 3 or 4 years.

It’s not just our club that’s doing this but also occurring with other clubs I have noticed.

I was thinking if we could lock these guys in cheaply for a longer period then that frees up money from the TV rights whenever they come in.

I think you would find that all the player agents are telling the players to hold out for the tv rights deal and hence increase in the salary cap. They all get more money then.

All these re-signings are great, I just don't understand why we have left all this so late in the year.

mcatt said:
All these re-signings are great, I just don't understand why we have left all this so late in the year.

Manly had no cashflow till the GF winnings and our mad shopping monies rolled in.

Vic has paid his dues and was justly rewarded with playing in the GF side.
Great to see him stay. :)

Nice to see Vic is staying.

So all the doom and gloom about the players leaving with Des was all unfounded and the team mateship has won out.

Who's still left to sign for next year? Any further news on Kite?

johnzac said:
I think you would find that all the player agents are telling the players to hold out for the tv rights deal and hence increase in the salary cap. They all get more money then.

I agree, but I wonder how the contracts are done, I mean if the cap increases from 2013 and they sign now for 2 years they are missing out on a year of the increased cap.

I suppose they could have a clause put in that increases their 2013 contract by the same %amount that the cap is increased by.

Rodo would that mean that one of the key issues highlighted in the Des fall out, get out clauses, which in turn caused some friction at board level between Des and others, is not that big of an issue?

'Get out' clauses are somewhat different to 'upgrades'. The trouble with 'go' clauses is that it makes it very difficult to plan the cap spending going forward.

Rodo said:
Nice to see Vic is staying.

So all the doom and gloom about the players leaving with Des was all unfounded and the team mateship has won out.

Who's still left to sign for next year? Any further news on Kite?

Kite signed on for a further 2 years (till end of 2013) before the GF. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on it if you could be bothered looking.

Good on Vic. Definitely making the most of his ability.

As for why contracts are signed late. Not that unusual really, especially for teams that are playing in the GF. You often here players themselves say they just want to concentrate on footy and will worry about contracts at the end of the season ... that and they believe if they get it done in the big games its worth a few dollars to them.

Thought this guy was a bit of a plodder at first but he has shown himself to be good no nonsense forward who'll cart the ball up strongly all day with very few mistakes in his game. Every decent pack needs needs at least one forward like this. Des showed faith in him by naming him in the grand final squad and he didn't let anyone down. Can only see him getting better next year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6