• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
If trials are designed to see combinations & players willing to step up, the main thing from the Sharks trial, was the charges & quick play balls from Vave.
Great all round performance with 12+ first grade players missing but it was obvious when Manly were struggling to make ground, big Vave ripped in & won that ruck area.....plenty of other solid performances including Williame & the rangy centre in the 4 jersey looked dangerous....seemed plenty could see an opportunity to show their ability if they get the chance to step up in 2016.
Vave looked slimmer & more enthusiastic than he has been since Storm days & could well get a bench spot in 2016 off that effort.

He is no walk up To the NRL squad, but he should be pushing those that are from the NSW cup.

If trials are designed to see combinations & players willing to step up, the main thing from the Sharks trial, was the charges & quick play balls from Vave.
Great all round performance with 12+ first grade players missing but it was obvious when Manly were struggling to make ground, big Vave ripped in & won that ruck area.....plenty of other solid performances including Williame & the rangy centre in the 4 jersey looked dangerous....seemed plenty could see an opportunity to show their ability if they get the chance to step up in 2016.
Vave looked slimmer & more enthusiastic than he has been since Storm days & could well get a bench spot in 2016 off that effort.
The rangy no 4 centre played in the 20s game - first half at least. He particularly stood out with dominant defence. Looks a prospect.

The rangy no 4 centre played in the 20s game - first half at least. He particularly stood out with dominant defence. Looks a prospect.
Did he seem to have a lot of speed and evasion as well or was he more of a defensive player ?

Did he seem to have a lot of speed and evasion as well or was he more of a defensive player ?
Can'tsay about speed. Ball didn't come his way much in 20s. But IMO did well evasively in attack in the firsts trial.

Brad Parker picture on MWSE doesn't seem a good match to me. Sure it's him @Hgbcds?

I agree Vave looked to be in front of both Lawrence and Lussick today. Now if that was genuinely our reserve grade today, and pretty good chance that was the case, If Starling and Burgess have been better again during pre season then where looking pretty bloody good.

Seemed to have that rangy awkward running style beating players in traffic....didn't see him defend too much, as Sharks basically attacked to Maloney's left edge.
Only a trial but looked the goods, making dents against Sharks top grade players.

Im not sure if the blonde centre was Parker. The commentators said Parker wore 4 in NYC and suggested it could be Parker, for a split second i thought Luke Garner had returned to the nest, but it may have been Lucas Price?

Didn't we have this same discussion about Vave this time last year ?? It was a trial against a Cronulla NSW Cup standard pack - I wouldn't be reading too much into it.

At the end of the day i think we have sufficient coverage in the event of injuries . Some mates of mine think we have no depth. pffft. I cant wait for this to get underway.

Las
Didn't we have this same discussion about Vave this time last year ?? It was a trial against a Cronulla NSW Cup standard pack - I wouldn't be reading too much into it.
Last year more spoke of Vave as an option C & C....
Difference today was he outshone forwards like Lawrence, Lussick & tbh, the Sharks pack though not devastating, are fairly competitive.
He looks lighter & stronger & yes its only a trial, but won't be surprised at all to see him earn a bench spot at some stage.

At the end of the day i think we have sufficient coverage in the event of injuries . Some mates of mine think we have no depth. pffft. I cant wait for this to get underway.
As i've said time and time again on this Forum, how many teams win premierships based on depth? Depth is a myth...it's what happens when your roster is choc full of average talent and it doesn't matter who gets injured, because an equally average player comes in to fill the spot; it's what the Dragons have been making an art form out of for years. It's pointless.

You are better off stacking your best 17 with the as many stars as you can and hope to god they stay fit...that's your only hope of winning a competition and the risk that every club must take if they want to reach the holy grail. So next time your mates give it to you about Manly's depth...just mention Taupau, Stewart, DCE, Walker, Lyon, Matai, Myles, the Turbo boys, and say "that's all the depth we need" :)

Agree to a degree Snake....eggs into 1 basket but when injuries occur....& they will, its a must to have a young talented up & comer or a NSW cup type who plays above himself....1 - 2 absolute suitcases will be exploited & season gone.
I recall Melbourne keeping the big 3 in dominant times & when any of the other 10 were injured, hardly lost anything with the attitude & belief Bellamy got from the replacement stepping up who were very much regarded in the shadow NRL standard players.

Las
Last year more spoke of Vave as an option C & C....
Difference today was he outshone forwards like Lawrence, Lussick & tbh, the Sharks pack though not devastating, are fairly competitive.
He looks lighter & stronger & yes its only a trial, but won't be surprised at all to see him earn a bench spot at some stage.
Trials don't mean much in my book. If he shows he has the talent and attitude then I hope he does earn a spot, but we had a horrendous injury toll last year and he couldn't crack a start and this year our forward stocks are stronger. I can't see him in the full strength 17, happy to be proven wrong though.

I also had a chuckle at a few suggestions that Williame is ahead of Horhay on the back of one trial game. I know it is the offseason so we are desperate for some discussion topics, but let's keep it real.

Williame though shown massive improvement, has a long way to go to get near Taufua for a starting spot....great to see him improve so drastically though, looks far better than I personally thought he could - a pleasant suprise.
On Vave - agree he has shown little, carrying extra weight, injuries in 2015 are largely a sign of poor attitude....thing is - looked leaner & more enthusiastic - not at all suggesting he is a certainty to crack a spot - just impressed he has evolved into a player capable of some impact off the bench who will be in Barrett's sights imo.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4