Vave beats the bulge for redemption

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Jack Brady, NRL.Com

Fri 26th February, 11:02AM

1456445335696.jpg

You may not have heard much of Siosaia Vave in quite a while.

Truth be told the Sea Eagles prop has fought a personal battle of his own ever since joining the club at the beginning of last season.

Suffering a torn pectoral muscle late on in 2014 while at the Sharks, Vave headed to the northern beaches with a fight for recovery on his hands, one not helped by the fact he ballooned to 134 kilograms.

Behind the eight ball from the beginning of his Sea Eagles career, Vave spent the entire season in NSW Cup fighting his way back to fitness where he's since lost a whopping 16 kilograms.

As big a wake-up call as a professional rugby league player can receive, Vave has since taken the "learning curve" in his stride and is hopeful to add to his 55-game NRL career in 2016.

"It was a tough time for me. I spent the entire year catching up so I could return to a first grade standard of fitness," the off-contract Vave told NRL.com.

"I had a good support base with my family and stuff like that because it was hard at the start.

"You can take positives out of last season though; I picked a lot of brains last season like Willie Mason and Josh Starling about being a better front-rower.

"I played a lot of minutes [in NSW Cup] and I think I was able to become smarter on the field for it."

Having seen the Sea Eagles undergo major changes under Trent Barrett, Vave was confident he and his new coach have an understanding of where the 26-year-old is to improve in the season ahead.

Coincidentally enough Barrett was the captain of the Sharks when Vave first made his NRL debut back in Round 3, 2010 – their long standing relationship holding the Tonga international in good stead.

"Trent has an easy plan in store for me, he's just told me to run hard and play tough," he said.

"I'm hoping to play some first grade and get a new contract at the Sea Eagles because I see the club going places so hopefully I'll have a really, really big year.

"It's a battle to try and earn a start because the calibre of players here is crazy. It's great to have everyone around here in terms of testing yourself every week though.

"If you can keep up with blokes like Nate [Myles] and Marty [Taupau] then you can keep up with anyone. It's a great opportunity."

This story was first published on NRL.Com.

Click here to watch the video player profile on Siosaia Vave.

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/content/seaeagles/club/news/2016/02/26/vave_beats_the_bulge.html

I just glanced at the thread title and was about to hit the spam button thinking it was another of those musclestacks spams, lucky I had a second look!

• 😆
Reactions: lsz
Pec injuries generally mean you pile on the kegs because doctors tend to prescribe McDonalds for it.

Probably not a first 17 option but could prove super valuable by seasons end....can bend the line & if defence is not an issue, has earned the spotlight as a worthy option.

Peck injuries can be quite nasty, typically resulting in significant damage to the beak area, they can be caused by pecking things that look soft but turn out to be hard or sharp.

And if really unlucky, the peck injury will come with an enormous bill!
Yes, pays to keep the health insurance up. And I heard there's research pointing to a likely genetic predisposition. It seems a very high proportion of sufferers of this injury were born with feathers.

Jack Brady, NRL.Com

Fri 26th February, 11:02AM

1456445335696.jpg

You may not have heard much of Siosaia Vave in quite a while.

Truth be told the Sea Eagles prop has fought a personal battle of his own ever since joining the club at the beginning of last season.

Suffering a torn pectoral muscle late on in 2014 while at the Sharks, Vave headed to the northern beaches with a fight for recovery on his hands, one not helped by the fact he ballooned to 134 kilograms.

Behind the eight ball from the beginning of his Sea Eagles career, Vave spent the entire season in NSW Cup fighting his way back to fitness where he's since lost a whopping 16 kilograms.

As big a wake-up call as a professional rugby league player can receive, Vave has since taken the "learning curve" in his stride and is hopeful to add to his 55-game NRL career in 2016.

"It was a tough time for me. I spent the entire year catching up so I could return to a first grade standard of fitness," the off-contract Vave told NRL.com.

"I had a good support base with my family and stuff like that because it was hard at the start.

"You can take positives out of last season though; I picked a lot of brains last season like Willie Mason and Josh Starling about being a better front-rower.

"I played a lot of minutes [in NSW Cup] and I think I was able to become smarter on the field for it."

Having seen the Sea Eagles undergo major changes under Trent Barrett, Vave was confident he and his new coach have an understanding of where the 26-year-old is to improve in the season ahead.

Coincidentally enough Barrett was the captain of the Sharks when Vave first made his NRL debut back in Round 3, 2010 – their long standing relationship holding the Tonga international in good stead.

"Trent has an easy plan in store for me, he's just told me to run hard and play tough," he said.

"I'm hoping to play some first grade and get a new contract at the Sea Eagles because I see the club going places so hopefully I'll have a really, really big year.

"It's a battle to try and earn a start because the calibre of players here is crazy. It's great to have everyone around here in terms of testing yourself every week though.

"If you can keep up with blokes like Nate [Myles] and Marty [Taupau] then you can keep up with anyone. It's a great opportunity."

This story was first published on NRL.Com.

Click here to watch the video player profile on Siosaia Vave.

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/content/seaeagles/club/news/2016/02/26/vave_beats_the_bulge.html

And that ladies and gentlemen is why we paid the big bucks for young Trenty.No way Tooves could've come up with that. Masterstroke.

And that ladies and gentlemen is why we paid the big bucks for young Trenty.No way Tooves could've come up with that. Masterstroke.
What he's said to Vave? How he said it? When he said? Why he said it? In what postcode he said it?

Don't mind. As long as it works. And right now it seems to be working.

What he's said to Vave? How he said it? When he said? Why he said it? In what postcode he said it?

Don't mind. As long as it works. And right now it seems to be working.
But it's just so brilliant...run hard, and tough. Wow.
C'mon who the hell prints this crap?!
At least that young tigers prop came up with that novel approach last year(dog-shiit dumb yes), but unique none the less when he ran out with the elastoplast taped to wrist, with the words
"Be a ruthless c@nt!" boldly texted on there. (I think he was fined from memory).
But at least he mixed it up!:smoke:

Pretty sure Toovs was reported saying something similar. Something like run hard, tackle hard.

Maybe they're mantras to give the mind something to focus on - to stop it getting in the way of the body doing its job. I don't know. If the players buy into it, maybe it does works.

At least that young tigers prop came up with that novel approach last year(dog-shiit dumb yes), but unique none the less when he ran out with the elastoplast taped to wrist, with the words
"Be a ruthless c@nt!" boldly texted on there. (I think he was fined from memory).
But at least he mixed it up!:smoke:
The player whose approach you admire is Mr Lodge. For evidence that use of that term as an insult reflects misogynist attitudes look no further than this free thinker, who was later locked up for stalking women and threatening to kill them.

Is Barrett getting more than Toovey? Probably less, I would have thought.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4