1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uate close to Manly deal

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Turbo, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Turbo

Turbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,568 / 497
    UATE CLOSE TO MOVE

Newcastle are on the verge of striking a release for winger Akuila Uate to join Manly.

The finer details of the release are still being ironed out with the Sea Eagles offering up the services of Brenton Lawrence as a sweetener to get Uate to Brookvale next season.

Lawrence has signed on with the Sea Eagles for another season after activating an option in his favour for 2017 but the Knights are unlikely to engage in a player swap.

Instead, the clubs are working on a payment plan which will see Trent Barrett’s team chip in a handsome chunk of Uate’s almost $500,000-a-season salary.

• Dislike Dislike x 8
  2. double hoops

double hoops Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,646 / 114
    His contract next year is $485k. If we paid half is that reasonable? $240k for a mature aged speedster. It's not cheap but it's not crazy money either. If knights pay half they get rid of a bloke they don't want, don't have that kind of dollars playing reserves, and are themselves $240k better off being able to buy someone as opposed to no one.

Uata did play for the blues once, lost no doubt, But Bozo will make this happen

3. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Well-Known Member

Adelaide
    Ratings:
    +6,747 / 125
    Uate also played 5 tests for Australia in 2011-12.....doesn't mean anything but reputation.

I would still rather Mead if we were going to go after a veteran winger at a cheap enough price. At least he can play wing or fullback.

Either way though some genuine pace on the flank wouldn't go astray, even if it is reduced from what it once was. We can't just rely on Tom to be the team speedster.

I guess Uate isn't all that bad. He does come with a bucket load of experience and he still has a fair bit of pace. His defence is questionable most times, but then you could say that about 95% of the wingers in the NRL.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  4. nightster

nightster grumpy old bastard

grew up Manly now Byron
    Ratings:
    +1,437 / 43
    Uate hasn't been good this season & wasn't that great last season... but he is playing for the knigits ... I wonder who drops the most bombs between him & horhay? .... yeah I would prefer Mead also

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Eagleheart

Eagleheart Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Sydney
    Ratings:
    +1,264 / 40
    I am speechless...............!

Winterstein, Lane, maybe Green and now maybe Uate, these are not the moves of a club wanting to reach the top 8 next year.

Bozo is just scraping the barrel at the moment to make up the numbers, with recent and proposed signings. Looks like we wont be cheering on much success in 2017 either.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Dummy Spit Dummy Spit x 1
  6. XV-1

XV-1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +499 / 55
    Tb and bozo are clueless

Tafua and Uate on the wings. Two short slow guys with excellent power and butter fingers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dummy Spit Dummy Spit x 1
  7. strone33

strone33 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +373 / 29
    Terrible target

Poor poor poor

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Simonmyers11

Simonmyers11 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,037 / 97
    Surely this is bullsh$t. We dont need another winger unless they can also play full back like mead.

We have parker coming through. He will have a break out year next year.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  9. conanu

conanu Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,841 / 31
    Yeah this is just stupidity. It reeks of desperation. Parker is coming on nicely & Jorge will be better when 100% fit. Wright is already there & we still have 2 fullbacks at this stage. Very odd signing especially considering they just re-signed williame. I would rather we went after a great defending winger that can finish a move & kick goals. God I wish Robbo was still playing safe as houses that bloke and could finish.

And FFS give Lawrence a chance to come back he was bloody good when fit. Why do they feel the need to remove every bloke Toovey signed, Dickheads!.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,825 / 53
    I haven't felt this bad about a signing since Craig Field.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Paw93

Paw93 Active Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 10
    Bozo you genius. Gets a shoddy winger on the other side of the field so the opposition can no longer decide which side to kick for!

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. sheridanstand78

sheridanstand78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 51
    The lunatics are running out recruitment. Surely the priority is to lock in our young stars first. Uate has seen better days and the fact is that we rarely score from bombs and we concede plenty. That fact continues to not be addressed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Mals

Mals Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Pennant Hills
    Ratings:
    +1,480 / 35
    Agreed. If we have to buy another winger I would rather a Matt Duffie style of winger who has good jumping & catching skills.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Of all the attributes that the modern day winget has, Manly pick the ability to run with the ball :confused:

Uate had problems with catching in all his career. His online defence makes Jorge look good :banghead:

Hard to believe that Uate has anything worth buying, let alone at the figures quoted :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,786 / 258
    At the $ quoted it's lunacy , Scott & Bozo have lost the plot!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mals

Mals Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Pennant Hills
    Ratings:
    +1,480 / 35
    Is Brett not at MWSE too in some capacity Mark? @:rolleyes:

17. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,625 / 132
    hopefully this is a zorba leak to get us over the line on 100K sizeable chunk rather than 250K +

18. sheridanstand78

sheridanstand78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 51
    Fulton is a club legend but yesterday's man. The decisions made this year and last year have made us go backwards. Wonder if he will be accountable??

• Like Like x 4
  19. TOCC

TOCC Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 3
    The club loves wasting $$$ on has beens. Lunacy !! Uate can't believe is luck and neither can Newcastle. The recruitment is a joke at the club

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Batty

Batty Active Member

Ratings:
    +397 / 51
    Geez, everyone loves jumping the gun don't they?...

Has his signing been confirmed?
    Has his signing been confirmed for $250k? Or any details of his proposed contract been released?

I haven't seen it anywhere. If I'm missing something please tell me. But so far it's just rumours.
    Rumours and manly fans shooting down bozo and the clubs recruitment.

• Dummy Spit Dummy Spit x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1