Uate close to Manly deal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Turbo

Bencher
UATE CLOSE TO MOVE

Newcastle are on the verge of striking a release for winger Akuila Uate to join Manly.

The finer details of the release are still being ironed out with the Sea Eagles offering up the services of Brenton Lawrence as a sweetener to get Uate to Brookvale next season.

Lawrence has signed on with the Sea Eagles for another season after activating an option in his favour for 2017 but the Knights are unlikely to engage in a player swap.

Instead, the clubs are working on a payment plan which will see Trent Barrett’s team chip in a handsome chunk of Uate’s almost $500,000-a-season salary.

His contract next year is $485k. If we paid half is that reasonable? $240k for a mature aged speedster. It's not cheap but it's not crazy money either. If knights pay half they get rid of a bloke they don't want, don't have that kind of dollars playing reserves, and are themselves $240k better off being able to buy someone as opposed to no one.

Uata did play for the blues once, lost no doubt, But Bozo will make this happen

Uate also played 5 tests for Australia in 2011-12.....doesn't mean anything but reputation.

I would still rather Mead if we were going to go after a veteran winger at a cheap enough price. At least he can play wing or fullback.

Either way though some genuine pace on the flank wouldn't go astray, even if it is reduced from what it once was. We can't just rely on Tom to be the team speedster.

I guess Uate isn't all that bad. He does come with a bucket load of experience and he still has a fair bit of pace. His defence is questionable most times, but then you could say that about 95% of the wingers in the NRL.

Last edited:
I am speechless...............!

Winterstein, Lane, maybe Green and now maybe Uate, these are not the moves of a club wanting to reach the top 8 next year.

Bozo is just scraping the barrel at the moment to make up the numbers, with recent and proposed signings. Looks like we wont be cheering on much success in 2017 either.

Yeah this is just stupidity. It reeks of desperation. Parker is coming on nicely & Jorge will be better when 100% fit. Wright is already there & we still have 2 fullbacks at this stage. Very odd signing especially considering they just re-signed williame. I would rather we went after a great defending winger that can finish a move & kick goals. God I wish Robbo was still playing safe as houses that bloke and could finish.

And FFS give Lawrence a chance to come back he was bloody good when fit. Why do they feel the need to remove every bloke Toovey signed, Dickheads!.

The lunatics are running out recruitment. Surely the priority is to lock in our young stars first. Uate has seen better days and the fact is that we rarely score from bombs and we concede plenty. That fact continues to not be addressed.
Agreed. If we have to buy another winger I would rather a Matt Duffie style of winger who has good jumping & catching skills.

The lunatics are running out recruitment. Surely the priority is to lock in our young stars first. Uate has seen better days and the fact is that we rarely score from bombs and we concede plenty. That fact continues to not be addressed.
Of all the attributes that the modern day winget has, Manly pick the ability to run with the ball :confused:

Uate had problems with catching in all his career. His online defence makes Jorge look good :banghead:

Hard to believe that Uate has anything worth buying, let alone at the figures quoted :eek:

Of all the attributes that the modern day winget has, Manly pick the ability to run with the ball :confused:

Uate had problems with catching in all his career. His online defence makes Jorge look good :banghead:

Hard to believe that Uate has anything worth buying, let alone at the figures quoted :eek:

At the $ quoted it's lunacy , Scott & Bozo have lost the plot!!

hopefully this is a zorba leak to get us over the line on 100K sizeable chunk rather than 250K +

Geez, everyone loves jumping the gun don't they?...

Has his signing been confirmed?
Has his signing been confirmed for $250k? Or any details of his proposed contract been released?

I haven't seen it anywhere. If I'm missing something please tell me. But so far it's just rumours.
Rumours and manly fans shooting down bozo and the clubs recruitment.

Very True, our recruitment has been linked with a stack of players this season and we have failed to secure most of them. Hopefully this is another we are unsuccessful with.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6