Tyson TKO Andrews Returns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Australian amateur heavyweight boxing champion Tyson Andrews returns to league
JON GEDDES THE DAILY TELEGRAPH DECEMBER 02, 2013 10:55PM

New Sea Eagles prop Tyson Andrews is a former Australian amateur boxing champion.

BIG bruising Tyson Andrews is ready to add real punch to the Sea Eagles forwards next season.

Unlike some rugby league players who make cameo appearances in the boxing ring, the new Manly recruit is the real deal who became the undefeated Australian amateur heavyweight champion.

Andrews had a successful stint as a boxer in 2010 when he had a break footy after two years with the Broncos under 20s.

"It was my goal when I had a year off to clear my head about rugby league because I just didn't think I was good enough," Andrews said.

"It was probably the best thing for me."

Andrews had previously only done some boxing to keep fit but quickly discovered that the gloves were a perfect fit.

And the skills he honed in boxing have seen return to rugby league a more confident and better equipped player to achieve his football dreams.

The mental and physical demands of the sport transformed the former apprentice boilermaker

"I've struggled a bit through my career discipline wise on the field - that was one of my biggest challenges- and boxing has helped a lot," Andrews said.

In 2011 Andrews returned to rugby league because he didn't want to be left with the lingering question "what if".

"I regained a bit of hope in myself and a bit of belief in myself and the boxing put a lot of things into perspective for me," he admitted.

"At 23 I am just starting to find my way."

He has spent the past two seasons with the Mackay Cutters and was 2012 player of the year in their Queensland Cup premiership winning side.

Now settled into the northern beaches Andrews focus is totally on working towards making a knockout NRL debut with the Sea Eagles.

Manly recruitment manager Dave Warwick got the tip about Andrews and expects him to really develop next season.

"Tyson is a powerful lad and technically he is very good," Warwick said.

"I just like the way he plays, he is a strong defender and hits the line hard.''
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/australian-amateur-heavyweight-boxing-champion-tyson-andrews-returns-to-league/story-fni3gnk1-1226773649790

Can't wait for Tyson v Allgood on February 22 at Brookie :p

RE: Tyson Andrews Returns

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Bulldogs didn't get Dave Warwick. Hahahaha.

Lol I love it SER.

But you know they did get Dave Warwick but got greddy and signed Cleal as well. That's when Dave told em to jam it and stayed with Manly. I'm glad he's done an awesome job the last 2 seasons

Don't expect Tyson to walk away from any on field niggles. He will be in the thick of it as he was at the Mackay Cutters.

I like the way 2014 is shaping, with some young, big and obviously aggressive props replacing the older guard (no disrespect to them; they were all great for Manly).
I'm looking forward to Tyson taking on JWH and SBW. Hasson is also very strong and will be in the top 17.
It's exciting times. Let all the 'experts' write us off because we've lost three top props; the young guns will have a bit more speed and energy, and with our terrific training and conditioning staff I'm confident our front rowers will be as good as any in the comp. Last year I think Lawrence was the equal to any prop in the comp.

Bet 3rd man Thaiday stays away form this guys

He looks the goods but prefer to wait and see. Being the "Amatuer Heavy Weight" champion dosnt mean he can play footy or throw a reasonable punch.

So glad Crusher went to the dogs because the "real" talent scout is Dave Warwick. Look at the talent he's helped recruit.

I like the way bones named him , Mike Tyson Andrews . A big boy with a knock out punch sounds good to me . This guy could be anything

faithful said:
He looks the goods but prefer to wait and see. Being the "Amatuer Heavy Weight" champion dosnt mean he can play footy or throw a reasonable punch.

Ill back him in for being able to throw a punch...how else do u become and Australian champion (undefeated)...gee some guys are hard to please

I hope he bites James Graham's ear off.

Given the fact you can't punch on the field anymore, we won't be seeing anything from Tyson. Maybe just as well. Being an excellent boxer does not make you a great fighter by any means. It just makes you a top BOXER. There's a massive difference.

A good example would be when Chris Caruana gave Shannon "The BUlli Blaster" Taylor a very nasty touch up at a club in 2005 I think. The difference is, there is no rope around a footy field or a pubs main bar. No ref either to tell you what you can and can't do.

Tyson's footy will speak for itself however. What you need plenty of in the ring, and on the field is heart! Tyson has a heart bigger than Phar Lap and mongrel to burn!!

Frogz said:
faithful said:

Ill back him in for being able to throw a punch...how else do u become and Australian champion (undefeated)...gee some guys are hard to please

Amatuer Champion and these days he would last five seconds on the field if he chucked any sort of punch. Not hard to please just want to see him play a couple of games before he carries the weight of our forward pack expectations on his shoulders.

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Andrews-keen-to-stamp-mark-on-new-club/88787

Andrews keen to stamp mark on new club
John Chammas | Photo Tim Ashworth
Tuesday 17 December 2013 12:30 PM

Having spent the past three seasons playing with Queensland Cup side Mackay Cutters, Sea Eagles new recruit Tyson Andrews is thrilled to be in Sydney’s northern beaches.

A former Australian amateur heavyweight champion, the fresh-faced Sea Eagle says the shift from his hometown in far North Queensland has been a pleasant one, not simply because of the scenery but because of the welcoming attitude of his new teammates.:angel:

“It’s a really nice area, kind of reminds me of the Sunshine Coast back at home, so I’m fitting in really well,”
“It’s not as humid, but I’m just enjoying every moment of it, not having to work and train at the same time, 100 per cent concentrating on training has been the best part of it.

"The boys have really made me feel accepted and Im really enjoying it.”
Blow-up mattresses and video games are rudiments associated with the Sea Eagles forward. He, along with previous roomies and current teammates Dunamis Lui and Jayden Hodges, lived a very simple life.

"Me, Hodgo and Lui were all living together so that was good fun. We all had blow-up mattresses so we get along real well. All we had was basically our blow up mattresses and the TV and Xbox, so we were all set," Andrews said.

Andrews is yet to crack first grade but the former Queensland dweller is out to impress as he moves to make the next step into the NRL in 2014.

"The major goal for 2014 would be to make my debut and with that just put in a good pre-season and try to put my best foot forward. That would be ideal; it would set me up for that debut," He said.

With the departure of several veteran forwards opening the door for new and fledgling players at the club, Andrews believes the competition amongst the squad is the driving force behind the battles of pre-season training.

"There’s obviously o a lot of competition for it but we all get along and we all give it to each other when we get the chance, but it’s all good fun and it only makes you a better player in the end, so I'm just enjoying the competition," Andrews said.

Great attitude, hope to see all the new recruits on the field at some game in 2014 :)

I went to school and worked with both his old man and uncle. Both pretty handy footballers in their day.

Great to see him at our club

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4