TV Rights Worth Question

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

caspersparks

Reserve Grader
do you think the tv rights money we are seeking (over a billion) would be the same amount if NSW had dominated S.O.O for the past 6 years?

remember the ol' "s.o.o is dead" being thrown about when nsw won 3 in a row... it is our biggest ratings/crowd drawcard and imo, even as a nsw boy, i think qld's dominance has been very benificial and one the main factors for the financial position we are in right now..

thoughts?

SOO ratings wouldnt swing wildly either way depending upon which state is dominating.

More of a difference will be made by breaking up the rights into pieces, including SOO and fuelling the competitive tension of the bid process.

SOO games are the biggest games but let's not forget they are on 3 Wednesdays...there are 8 other games every week plus the Finals and the Test Matches....I'd hesitate a guess and say that these are the icing on the cake rather than have much to do with the money angle.

Flight said:
I don't think it would make much difference, can you remember when NSW was killing the Qld'ers? pretty sure the viewing was still heading north at that time.

Great article here about the whole valuing of the TV rights deal, well worth the read.

NRL rights will struggle to break 1bn

News trying to cheapen the deal for there own benefit.

The tv rights will depend on a few factors -
the placement of new teams (if they go the safe option of CC and Bris or go for the minimal risk imo in the West Coast Pirates and Bris)
establishment of rl channel
amongst others

Origin, Tests and Finals are an added bonus.

Also don't be surprised if they push for either a preseason comp or an extended WCC.

I don't think the NRL will get anywhere near what they are expecting because of a number of factors.

1 - The length of the game. Both games are 80 mins long, but the clock stops in AFL when the ball goes out.
2 - Natural breaks. The AFL has more natural breaks in game play due to the nature of the game - like whenever a goal is kicked.
3 - The timing of the contracts. I don't see Channel 7 wanting the rights to the NRL with them already having the AFL - there isn't enough hours in the day or channels to broadcast. This then only leaves 9 and 10 bidding along with Fox.
4 - Pay TV. With the new Fox Footy channel, Pay TV had the opportunity to increase it's membership, as every game is shown on there, most of them live. With the NRL already having 5 games on Pay TV, most people who want it for those purposes already have it.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6