1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tupou joins Carney on Manly's million-dollar hitlist

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Jatz Crackers, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

+1,239 / 7
    AFTER making a $1.6 million offer to Canberra's Todd Carney, cashed-up Manly will now consider outlaying another $1.2 million for Sydney Roosters international Anthony Tupou.
    The Daily Telegraph understands Tupou wants $400,000 a season for three years with Manly publicly declaring their desire to sign a high-profile back-rower.

Manly offered Carney a four-year contract - the Raiders five-eighth to make his decision within a fortnight.

Carney and Tupou come off contract at the end of this season and may both end up at Brookvale for a combined total of nearly $3 million.

Should Manly sign one or both, there is little doubt a current top-line player may not be re-signed in coming years.

Manly did, however, lose $900,000 worth of players last year through the exits of Travis Burns, Michael Monaghan, Chris Hicks and Shayne Dunley. The club only signed one high-profile player, Josh Perry from Newcastle.

It is understood Carney or Tupou would play in 2009 for less than $200,000 but have their contract increased over the latter years of the deal. Tupou is also being chased by Newcastle.

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer was playing down the interest in Tupou.

"I don't want to comment on any player negotiations," Mayer said.

"But we are 'on the record' saying we are interested in a back-rower since Ben Kennedy retired.

"But it is getting to the stage where any player coming off contract is linked to Manly.

"We still have a lot of work to do with our salary cap to manage our existing stable of players.

"So to be constantly linked to incoming players can be destabilising and wrong."

Asked about his club's chances of signing Carney, Mayer said: "We are still waiting to hear from his manager (David Riolo)".

"It is in a holding pattern at the moment."

The Raiders yesterday confirmed the club had increased their offer to Carney to four years. Canberra's deal is worth about $1.4 million.

"We are hopeful he will stay," Raiders chief executive Don Furner said.

"I think we are as good a chance as the others. We have put a lot of time and resources into Todd, he's come through our junior system.

"We'd like to think he wants to win a grand final with his mates here in Canberra."

Furner said his club wanted a decision before the start of the season. "We'd like it before the season kicks-off," he said.

Penrith are also understood to be chasing Carney.

2. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

+2,097 / 13
    Why Topou ? Is my Question

if they are going to throw that sort of money around why not a SBW, or an english superstar etc
  3. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

+5,706 / 264
    Like they say, we let $900k go, but only replaced it with Perry.
    I almost think Bell / Beaver may retire at the end of this year.
    The salary cap went up $100k this year, and is going up next year as well.
    One would assume after giving Stewart his increase, we still have a large amount to throw at Tupou and Carney.

01. Brett Stewart
    02. Michael Bani
    03. Jamie Lyon
    04. Steve Matai
    05. Michael Robertson
    06. Todd Carney
    07. Matt Orford
    08. Josh Perry
    09. Matt Ballin
    10. Brent Kite
    11. Anthony Watmough
    12. Glenn Stewart
    13. Anthony Topou

14. Heath Le'Strange
    15. Adam Cuthbertson
    16. Jason King
    17. Jarred Wearra-Hargreaves

looks like a fantastic little team !! I'd also say Willow will be playing in the UK (he wanted to play for Catalans this year, and was going to, until Carlaw went onto the market, and they chose him instead), and we will probably let either one or two of Rose,Hall or Bryant go.

You then have to consider that Orford will be signed on less. He'll be 31-32 in 2009. How many years would he actually have left?

Therefore, contracts could be back ended.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

+5,706 / 264
    He's an International, WITHOUT the off field perks that go along with Sonny Bill !
  5. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

+466 / 6
    Next year is Orford's last year of a 4 year contract but the way it was structured we will be paying him a LOT.

I would say Max must be building a new set of units somewhere near the beach. 
  6. willstyles

willstyles Active Member

+4 / 0
    Tupou....good player and he'd be a very nice addition to the Manly pack.

But 400k? Lay off the silly gas. That's outrageous and roughly 100k more than he is worth.

That sort of price is generally reserved for playmakers, but there are one or two forwards in the comp who can command that kind of coin (SBW is the one that comes to mind).

Tupou might sneak into the top ten backrowers in the comp, but there would be only one backrower on that much money.

Ritchie is clearly pulling someone's leg with this story. Must've been struggling to fill the pages this morning because this story is a big stretch. I can't imagine Manly are pleased with it at all either.

If Manly could get him for 300k then I'd be happy with that as a replacement for Beaver, but anything more than that is paying considerable overs which we really can't afford considering how many other players we have on over 300k already (Kite, Lyon, Choc, Brett, Ox....if he hangs about).
  7. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

+2,424 / 31
    It seems Manly have joined the Roosters, and EVERY player off contract is linked with Manly with big numbers beside their names