Tuesdays ONLINE NEWS REPORTS From The SMH & TELE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Tuesdays ONLINE NEWS REPORTS From The SMH & TELE

Manly: we're loveable

Glenn Jackson and Jacquelin Magnay | September 25, 2007
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/manly...ge#contentSwap1

MANLY players have called on Sydneysiders to do what previously would have been unthinkable - end 35 years of deep, dark hatred and support them in Sunday's grand final against Melbourne.

Sea Eagles players and officials are hoping Sydney's long-time rivalry with Melbourne will overshadow the average punter's dislike of the club, ensuring the majority of support at Telstra Stadium. And what's more, they believe it will happen, giving hope for world peace.

\"I've no doubt there's an absolute truckload of people out there that still absolutely hate Manly, but I think that when it comes down to a NSW versus Victoria game, there'll be a lot of people who will have to change sides or change allegiances,\" chief executive Grant Mayer said.

\"If you're a New South Welshman, do the right thing and support Manly.\"

The Sea Eagles have been despised ever since they were perceived to have bought premierships throughout the 1970s. The disdain surfaced again during their success in the 1990s.

But remarkably, Mayer claimed the Sea Eagles were no longer silvertails - the phrase coined by Herald columnist and former Western Suburbs coach Roy Masters - but were now the \"strugglers\".

\"It's been 10 years since we've been involved in a grand final, and it's been at least five years since the Northern Eagles debacle,\" Mayer said.

\"I think there's a new generation of fans out there who have put a lot of that behind them. We're the strugglers now. We struggled to get back to where we belong - at the top of the competition.

\"I think people can really relate to what we've gone through. It's no longer the old chequebook mentality. This is about building a side over the last three or four years, and people can really understand that good old Des, the working-class man from Penrith, has done a great job building this club. I think people can identify that … and I think they'll jump on board.\"

Good old Des is Des Hasler, the Manly coach, who admitted the adage of fans having two teams - their own and the team playing Manly - still rang true, but with one exception … unless you're playing Melbourne in a grand final. \"I still think Manly will always be the side people love to hate,\" Hasler said. \"It's a part of rugby league folklore. But I think we'll have a good support out there.\"

Prop Jason King offered: \"I can't imagine too many Sydneysiders wanting Victoria to win anything. Even though you hate Manly, it's better that Manly wins than a Melbourne-based team.\"

It would be remarkable - and a clear sign hostilities between fans and Manly remain bitter - if Melbourne were to enjoy the majority of support on Sunday. But the fact that no Sydney teams contested the grand final last year may also work in the club's favour.

\"A lot of people I've spoken to over the last few days are diehard Tigers or Parramatta supporters, and they're going, 'All right' - kicking and screaming admittedly, but they're certainly happy to jump on board, particularly after the drought last year of Brisbane and Melbourne,\" Manly co-owner Scott Penn said. \"I think we'll get the support that we deserve.\"

But there has been a footnote - importantly, from the player who would know more than anyone else whether the bitterness towards Manly still exists, 15-season veteran Steve Menzies.

\"I have been at Manly too long to believe that just because you live in Sydney you would go for us,\" he said. \"Being Manly in the grand final, I think you will still get a few people who will go for Melbourne … I think the crowd will be split about 50-50.\"

The younger players can't fathom the anti-Sea Eagles sentiment. Anthony Watmough believed, sincerely, that the newer generation of supporters was ignorant of the Manly hatred.

\"In the past weeks, everywhere I've been on the other side of the bridge there is another generation of supporters who have been told of the old love to hate Manly stuff but they haven't embraced that,\" he said. \"A lot of people I've spoken to have Manly as their second team. A friend of mine is an avid Tigers fan, and she never goes to any other matches but she came along the other day and paid big money to watch us in the semi-final, and she now says she is bitten with the Manly bug.\"

Halfback Matt Orford reckoned being on the dark side wasn't so bad. \"Being the only Sydney team [in the final], I would like to think everyone loves Manly at the moment,\" he said. \"You are either with Manly or against Manly, but we have had good support this year. We have roped a few others to come to the dark side. We can't complain.\"

Bani awaits the recall

Jamie Pandaram | September 25, 2007
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/bani-...0486225223.html

A BASKETBALL career beckoned for Michael Bani, but Manly's latest speed sensation said it was a moment of Matt Bowen magic in the 2005 State of Origin series that prompted him to take a punt on rugby league.

Having stepped inside Bowen to set up the final try against the Cowboys in Saturday's semi-final, Bani can hardly comprehend how life has turned out.

\"I was watching that Origin game at a pub back home [in the tiny Torres Strait island of Mabuiag],\" Bani recalled yesterday. \"When he took that intercept in extra time to win the game for Queensland, I thought to myself, 'If a guy his size can play at that level and do that, I should be able to do it too'.

\"He played a big part in my decision to go to Bundaberg to play league.\"

Before that epiphany, Bani was set to be a baller. A naturally gifted athlete, he picked up the sport aged 19 but excelled so rapidly mentoring by Danny Morseu, the first Torres Strait Islander to represent Australia at an Olympic Games in 1980, was arranged.

\"We all thought basketball was the sport he would make something of himself in,\" said Bani's mother, Meroma Fell.

Bani always had the ability but struggled with self-belief in sport.

\"Ever since I was a kid I dreamed of making the big time,\" he said. \"But when things got tough I was looking for short cuts. I didn't believe enough in myself, I didn't want to put in the work and that's why I never went to the next step with basketball.\"

Having decided to seriously pursue a league career, Bani became the Bundaberg player of the year last season thanks largely to the advice of his club coach, Tat Whaleboat.

\"He believed in me a lot,\" Bani said.

He joined Manly's premier league team this year and has now helped the club qualify for their first NRL grand final in a decade.

He remains well grounded despite the spectacular rise, and as another emerging talent of the Mormon faith, Bani said he is contemplating a two-year overseas mission.

\"I have strong faith that if I did go, God would give me the blessings to come back even better,\" Bani said.

For now, he remains determined to fulfil his potential on the football field.

His parents could not be prouder. Ms Fell and Bani's stepfather, Keith Fell, drove for four days from Cairns to Sydney to watch the 23-year-old play an inspired match against the Cowboys at Sydney Football Stadium.

They are hoping he will line up in the decider, and there was a humorous moment at Narrabeen's NSW Academy of Sport yesterday after Manly's training run had finished when, while the Herald was speaking with Bani's parents, Hasler came over to congratulate them on their son's success.

When asked: \"Will Michael play this weekend?\", a cautious Hasler replied: \"He is definitely in the picture, I can't say anymore because there is a journalist standing here,\" after which Mr Fell began to beat away this pesky reporter with a flag.

They'll get their answer this afternoon when the team is announced, but if Bani has to make way for regular winger Chris Hicks, who was ruled out of Saturday's match with injury, they have still experienced far more than they thought possible.

Posing for newspaper photographs and talking to television reporters, the family at times appeared to disbelieve what has transpired in the past week.

Bani, who is signed for next season with the Sea Eagles, has much more to accomplish. And if it doesn't work out, there's always basketball.

\"I'd give it a go,\" he said.

\"If the Sydney Kings asked me to train I'd try it out.\"

Manly go with flow

Jacquelin Magnay | September 25, 2007
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/manly...0486225220.html

BEFORE Manly Sea Eagles training could start yesterday morning, the ground had to be cleared of all toddlers and prams. A bounding white dog, football in mouth and wearing a maroon coat, was rounded up as officials laid out markers for a quick skills session.

Most of the youngsters converging on Narrabeen for the Eagles' appearance weren't around when the Sea Eagles last played a grand final a decade ago, but their mums, and a few dads, were. There was bottle-sucking Billy, barely four months, getting his jumpsuit signed by Anthony Watmough as Billy's mum's other hand held the stroller, which contained slightly bigger sister Alexis, dressed smartly in matching Manly jersey and socks.

Thirteen-year-old Alex Ma, the team's 18th man who has battled cerebral palsy by training on occasion with the Manly players, was bursting with pride, chatting to other supporters. Nearby, Matt Orford was most obliging, smiling for Eagles Angel Mary Finkelson, who wanted a quick pre-training snap of him with her nine-year-old daughter, Gabriella.

\"I reckon we will win the grand final, but by a little bit because Melbourne are good,\" said Gabriella.

Not that the bookies agree. They have installed the Storm as raging hot favourites despite their tepid form in the biggest games. Melbourne are at $1.43 and Manly at $2.85.

First-up duties for the Sea Eagles was a photo session for the official program. Watmough was spied hands clenched and on knees, as ordered, but one hand had drifted sneakily onto coach Des Hasler's knee.

\"Your own knee Anthony,\" admonished the snapper.

Another toddler had found a spare lens lying on the grass and started expertly mimicking the phalanx of lensmen. The players had to smile and then fold their arms for some quick single head shots.

The gathering horde roared with approval when Hasler was in the hot seat. He grinned.

Adam Cuthbertson, the hulking forward from Avalon who celebrates a footy win with a quick trip to church, whipped off his brand new shorts to replace them with a well worn pair for training. Even his underwear was Maroon emblazoned with a sea eagle in flight. No one cared, it was that kind of relaxed beachside day.

Indeed, the most gruelling aspect of the day for players was answering similar questions in repeated interviews: a TV grab, a radio piece or a bit more detail for the press guys.

Steve Menzies tried to sneak out of sight under a tree. But come lunchtime he was the last man still talking.

Teams under grand final pressure

Glenn Jackson | September 25, 2007
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/teams...0486225229.html

THE grand final mind games have begun in earnest with Manly players maintaining Melbourne are under far more pressure than them to win Sunday's decider.

\"They were minor premiers two years in a row, they lost the grand final last year but made another one this year, so I think the pressure's on them to win one,\" prop Jason King said.

\"They'd be so keen to win it because they've been there a couple of times. I think they'll be feeling they'll need to win it.\"

The comments will sting Melbourne, who lost last year's decider to Brisbane after being as dominant in the home-and-away rounds as they have been this season.

It's another case of a team in maroon demanding underdogs status, and the betting markets have helped their cause, posting the Sea Eagles as $2.65 outsiders even though they beat the Storm in their only clash this season.

Skipper Matt Orford said he felt \"the majority\" of pressure was on Melbourne. \"We have spoken about how they made the grand final last year, and they're here for a second time,\" he said. They've got a little bit more pressure being favourites.

\"I think Melbourne deserve to be favourites. They've been the benchmark, they've been the best side all year by far. We'll just go about our business.

\"We haven't had too many backers so it's not going to faze us too much.\"

Said teammate Steve Bell: \"They expect [to win], so there is probably a bit more pressure on them. It's not too often you get to a grand final two years in a row.\" Conversely, Manly deliberately played up their relative lack of experience in grand finals, with Steve Menzies and Jamie Lyon the only Sea Eagles to have played in one.

\"They know what to expect,\" Bell said. \"But for us, it's a new experience. I think it's going to help them. It's just up to us to try and match it with them.\"

Prop Brent Kite added: \"History shows that it's a good thing to be in them, even to lose them. That helped teams through the '90s - everyone lost one, won one.

1997 grand final haunts Manly stalwart

By Dean Ritchie

September 25, 2007
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5006066,00.html

STEVE Menzies still reflects on Manly's heartbreaking loss in the 1997 grand final by saying: \"It was just horrendous.\"

Ten years later, though, Menzies has finally been given a chance to exorcise the demons from that famous loss to Newcastle in the final seconds of the ARL decider.

The only Manly player from that match still playing, Menzies is yet to watch a full replay of the game where Knights winger Darren Albert became an instant legend.

\"It always gets repeated though - that try at the end is the only part of the game I have watched,\" Menzies said. \"I have just tried to forget about that game. Horrible memories. To lose like that was just horrendous. Not much fun.\"

Menzies and Manly have not played in a grand final since that September day in 1997. Now, the veteran gets a second chance in a year that's already given him plenty of excitement.

Menzies and fiancee Suyin Condon recently announced they are expecting their first child.

But this week it's still about footy for Menzies after a 28-6 win over North Queensland on Saturday night thrust the Sea Eagles into the decider against Melbourne.

\"It's great to have another crack,\" Menzies said. \"You always hope you will play in another grand final but you're never sure. It's nice to sneak in another one.\"

Menzies told his team's younger players after the win against the Cowboys to savour and enjoy grand final week.

\"It's the first grand final for most of the side and I told them these games don't come around that often,\" he said.

\"They have to make the most of it. I told them they will remember this weekend's grand final for the rest of their lives.\"

Sea Eagles prop Jason King can recall watching the 1997 decider aged 16.

\"We were at the home of family friends in Terrey Hills - I was distraught when Darren Albert scored,\" King said.

\"Beaver has had a few conversations with us recently saying how opportunities like this don't come around that often in footy.\"

Manly hooker Michael Monaghan said the Manly club expected success.

\"This club has a history of success and is a proud club,\" Monaghan said. \"It's been a long time since we've played in a grand final. We just have to make sure we play well.

\"We feel we have the team to win it but I'm sure Melbourne are thinking the same.\"

Manly fullback Brett Stewart had X-rays yesterday on an injured knee but will not miss the big game.

\"It's nothing serious - just precautionary,\" Stewart said.

Other injured Eagles Glenn Stewart (ankle), Chris Hicks (ankle), Michael Monaghan (concussion) and Matt Orford (nose) did not train yesterday but are all expected to be fit.

Diehard fans lift Eagles' spirits

By James Phelps and Amy Dale

September 25, 2007
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5006066,00.html

GRAND Final fever might not be a genuine illness but that did not stop more than 100 children taking the day off school yesterday to cheer on the Sea Eagles at Narrabeen.

A day after Manly coach Des Hasler was forced to explain why he could not attend jury duty, Northern Beaches mothers will today be busily signing sick notes as Manly fans begin celebrating Grand Final week.

\"Mum gave me the day off and took me down here. I don't think dad will mind - he might be angry he missed out,\" eight-year-old Joshua Parkes said.

And it wasn't just the kids who turned out for a glimpse of the Sea Eagles before they bunker down ahead of Sunday's decider.

About 100 adults in maroon and white joined in celebrations at the Sydney Academy of Sport.

Among them was 30-year-old Wollongong resident Steven Repaci, who dispelled the popular myth that Sea Eagles fans don't travel.

\"It took me 2½ hours with the traffic. I left home just before six, but it was worthwhile,\" he said.

\"The players have been great and we'll be coming Sunday. I can't wait for it and hopefully they will win.

\"There are not too many fans down my way so I will be decorating the house with some streamers and flags.\"

Maroon and white has become the new colour scheme of the Manly Corso.

Humphreys Newsagency began Grand Final week with the most colourful window display in Manly, including a specially airbrushed Sea Eagle.

\"It would be great if everyone in the Northern Beaches could get behind the team and support them through to the Grand Final,\" Humphreys employee Trisha Robinson said.

\"We started today with decorating the shop and having the eagle sprayed on the front, but throughout this week we will also be selling T-shirts , hats and things like streamers for the car.

\"Hopefully by the end of this week, the Corso is covered with everything maroon and white . . . it's going to be a really big week.\"

\"We've had other shops coming in to buy streamers . . . I'm hoping our decoration can have a knock-on effect.\"

Harbord airbrush artist David Brown is hoping the demand for Sea Eagles designs continues.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6