Troubled Titans star Greg Bird could find a new home with Manly Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mitch

Bencher
The Daily Telegraph - Sports Confidential

THE Sea Eagles are circling Greg Bird, but the troubled NRL star has other issues on his mind as he battles more damaging off-field headlines.

Bird was already being investigated by the NRL integrity unit for his involvement in an alleged incident at a northern NSW pub last Saturday evening. But Sport Confidential has learned Bird was ejected from a Byron Bay pub just 24 hours before the Brunswick Heads saga, triggering an NRL integrity unit inquiry.

It is believed the integrity unit is aware of Bird’s back-to-back indiscretions and will include details of both pub incidents in its report to the Titans.

A spokesman for The Sticky Wicket Bar in Byron Bay confirmed last night Bird was asked to leave the establishment.

“Greg Bird was here on Friday night. He was asked to leave,” the spokesman said.

“The NRL integrity unit came in to see us and they are onto it.

“It was just Greg who was asked to leave. He never got served a drink because he was too intoxicated so the group weren’t here for very long.”

Manly remain keen to entice Bird to the club, but need to free up some salary cap space to do so.

That may mean Jamie Buhrer, who has played 128 top grade games for the club, is moved on. Newcastle are keen to pounce on the one-time NSW representative, in what could turn out to be a swap for Knights winger Akuila Uate.

St George Illawarra have also expressed an interest in Buhrer, who still has a year remaining on his contract. After an injury plagued 2015 season, Buhrer recaptured his best form at the back end of this season, and was appointed co-captain during Jamie Lyon’s injury run.

If Jamie Buhrer is moved on to fit this grub in, it's a disgraceful. Jamie is Manly, not this bloke.

I'm disappointed about Jamie but Bird would be a great pick up. It finally gives us a ball playing lock who hits hard in defence makes good metres and he can also kick goals very well. I'm happy either way. Or we can just not get uate and get bird and keep Buhrer. I love Jamie but bird would be a great fit for our team.

More upside in Jamie than that grub Bird.
Bird is the king of the inopportune error.

I disliked the topic, not anything about you Mitch.

By the way, with Kelly out, and the new bloke coming in, in December - who the hell is running the asylum and making the key decisions.
Very very good point, one of Penn or Bozo. Certainly not Baz cause he viewed Buhrer as a skipper.

What the **** is this ****???? No way to ****ing Greg the ****ing grub Bird.

And as I have mentioned before if Buhrer is not playing for Manly in 2017, the franchise will not get one single cent from me, nor my family and 3 x close friends in 2017. They stand to loose about $5k from the lot of us.

This is beyond moronic from the franchise and would be the final straw for many Manly fans...................!

By the way, with Kelly out, and the new bloke coming in, in December - who the hell is running the asylum and making the key decisions.

All good mate! Surely most can see what a ridiculous decision this would be (substance to the story or not) when you look at it from a distance.

Jamie Buhrer - 26, finding great form this year, future leader (mentioned as a possible captain), Manly through and through.

Greg Bird - Nearing 32, serial offender facing the sack from the GC after another possible pub incident in the space of 24 hours.

Bird is a competitor but his best days are behind him. If you are going to sign older guys then they have to bring something with them other than on field performance, they have to improve your culture or contribute off the field in some way. I don't think Bird is capable of adding anything worthwhile to Manly as a club. Hopefully all just media dribble, because if we cut Ferris to sign this guy then that's a lose - lose.

Same person that's been running it for before and after the new CEO arrives

I doubt Kelly made a key decision in his whole time with us, so I think we will be ok until the new bloke, who also probably won't make any key decisions, gets here.

Yeah mate, while I hope it's not the case, I suspect you're 100% spot on.

That was one thing I respected about Grant Mayer. The guy polarised people, but he wasn't a yes man, backed Des and made crucial decisions, and didn't hide behind a closed door.

Wow ripping the heart and soul of the club wasnt enough. Buhrer is Manly.. still in his peak and bleeds for the club. Bird? Wow. This is what happens when you get a non Manly man as a coach. Ruined our culture.

100% if Buhrer goes the coach won't be making the decision, he was spruiking Buhrer as a possible co captain in 2017 only a few weeks ago and singing his praises often.

It would show he has very little say in what goes on.

All of the above, except for Turbo's insights.

Perhaps more critically however is that Bird would bid fair to being (potentially and let's hope not) the ugliest man to pull on a Manly jumper this side of Mark Broadhurst.

I would go as far as saying that Bird makes Fred Jones, at the end of the latter's playing career, look like the winner of a Rod Taylor Lookalike contest.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2