Trex as a Forward

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

chrisos

Reserve Grader
I think we really need to have trex in the forward pack for next year with the way he can bump off defenders and break 1st and 2nd tackle,if he could develop an offload aswell then when we get snake back have him running off trex like he did BK,we also wouldnt have to worry about him being too slow to turn and chase in defence,i reckon we need this bloke in our forward pack,thoughts?

Bumping of outside backs and bumping off forwards are very different things.

He needs to liven up and show more interest if he wants to be a forward

i know bumping off forwards are different to backs Dan ,good point,but if he could develop an offload as a forward i reckon he would be great,maybe if he saw more of the ball he would become more interested than when hes stuck out on the wing.

Maybe mate, maybe but who knows.

How have you been mate I haven't seen you around lately

Dan link said:
Bumping of outside backs and bumping off forwards are very different things.

He needs to liven up and show more interest if he wants to be a forward

Apparently it isn't that different. Bryce Gibbs (or was it Todd Payten?) went flying backwards in the air as far as any outside back Tony's brushed.

He has to go into the forwards to fit into the team anyway. Snake, Wolf, Robbo, Hoppa & Oldfield will have the back three positions covered.

Against Storm in the first match he sent 3 forwards flying in one hit-up straight up the middle. Smith, Hoffman and Tolman from memory, one after the other. I think we scored from the next play. He doesn't even have to offload to create some havoc, just attracting a lot of tacklers can do it.
As Dan says, it will come down to whether he is interested. He certainly has the ability.

As much as I'd like to see him in the forwards I don't think we can afford 2 reserve forwards who couldnt last more than 20 min a game. The other being big George. T Rex just doesn't have the workrate to cut it as a forward.

We need to become a lot more pacey in the backline. We were found out wide in defence OFTEN. I also think Robbo has become too similar to Luke Covell from The Sharks, who definitely had a great football brain, but inevitabvly became too slow for his position.

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Oldfield
03. Dean Whare
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams
06. Keiran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
12. Steve Matai
17. Shane Rodney

Makes a LOT of positions much faster.

I am happy to see him have a go there. I hope I am pleasantly surprised

Hopefully Tony can add a bit of grunt to the forwards coming of the bench. I realise he's young and sometimes takes the wrong option but it's a good adrenaline rush watching him rag-doll opposition players when he gets that fend going.
Forget the enthusiasm I'd love to see him play with a bit more anger !

Goldie link said:
I thought that when he came to Manly, I read that the whole idea was to play him in the forwards.

i think that was just user opinion on here and other sites rather than fact.

He had always been a winger, so i can't see us buying a winger as a forward if he is untried there. That just doesn't fit into the Des and Crusher way of doing things

If T-Rex is to me moved in to the forwards for next year, he's going to need to grow a much bigger heart in the off season.

Id like to see him bulk up more.

I know he is tall and weigh 116kg, but put some more muscle and fat on him and he would probably be a devastating forward.

Although he is tall and weighs a lot, he still seems like it is all lean muscle.

Despite my criticism of him. I would like to see him given the chance to prove himself

I think big Tony Left the Eels, because he did not want to play on the wing. My personal opinion is that he is wasted on this wing. In certain games this year where he played centre, he was much more involved and dynamic, albeit a little lost defensively. I still remember the QLD cup final last year where he played 5/8th and given the significant drop in standard to NRL, he was a completely different propect in the middle of the field. In my opinion the Big fella still has much untapped skill and flair that we have yet to witness, and he needs to lose the fear on unleashing it. Sadly we are never going to see his full potential on the flanks. I was very proud of his perfomances this year, and if the club can show some faith in him in the forwards, then just maybe the real Trex will be delivered. Good luck for the PM's game Tony.

Dr Bogonov link said:
I think big Tony Left the Eels, because he did not want to play on the wing. My personal opinion is that he is wasted on this wing. In certain games this year where he played centre, he was much more involved and dynamic, albeit a little lost defensively. I still remember the QLD cup final last year where he played 5/8th and given the significant drop in standard to NRL, he was a completely different propect in the middle of the field. In my opinion the Big fella still has much untapped skill and flair that we have yet to witness, and he needs to lose the fear on unleashing it. Sadly we are never going to see his full potential on the flanks. I was very proud of his perfomances this year, and if the club can show some faith in him in the forwards, then just maybe the real Trex will be delivered. Good luck for the PM's game Tony.

The SCE grand final was odd. I thought he stifled as much attack as he finished, but that was watching it live at the ground.

I think LeStrange was the stand out performer in that game

Stick him in the second row from the bench. Could turn out to be another Crusher style of player. Ideal game turner when Rodney comes off.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
Good first post Doc. To overcome his fear of unleashing, what would you prescribe?

I'm afraid only Tony can resolve that one. I am just trying to imagine what he would be like with Matai's aggression and attitude. In a word....unstoppable. Does anyone remember big Kevin Iro? C'mon Tony, prove us wrong!

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6