Trent Barrett Poll

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Do you believe that Trent Barrett is capable of taking Manly to a premiership win

• Yes

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 61 44.5%
  • Not sure, But I reckon he might.

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Not sure, But I doubt he will.

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters
Not me. It was clear that he was being white-anted from within. He had no chance.
Baz on the other hand had an open cheque book care of the Penn's.

Wasn't an open chq book old mate. We had to shaft Ballin, Hiku, Gutherson to get them.. (pls let's not start the argument of whether that was a good plan again)

I don't know about bashing baz. But I do question the job he is doing. I seriously feel sorry for Trent the same as I do for Toovs.

And I sure as **** wasn't Bagging Toovs. Toovs had his limitations as a coach. But I'll suggest off field distractions at our club already intent on flicking Tooves killed us last year? Not the little leader himself.

Why aren't we Disciplined under Trent you ask? Let's look at the small things. Overall you know a coach is big on Discipline when you see a big change in the culture the doing of the little things the one per centres players do or don't do is a good indicator.

As much as he ****s me at times this is where Bozo was brilliant. As old school as I am sure he now is, if Bozo was actually our coach this year, I just think we would have seen a marked improvement in one per centers.

So look we had room for improvement from Toovs.

Rooster have blooded a young roster this year. It looks like they set out to be on a rebuilding year. And they are doing it, and doing very nicely with kids in key positions. It's a lack of class and experience, not discipline or coaching which sees them where they are on the ladder. Robinson has done a marvellous job.

Cheery being out hurt us early in the year but our squad is in a very different position to the roosters.

South's issues are players not wanting to follow the coaches disciplined ways. What players aren't enjoying after having won a premiership dosent mean it isn't exactly what our team dosent need to get a premiership.

Watch us play. Then watch the Cows or Storm. We are a lazy team compared to them in the one per centers.

A simple tell Let's look at how unfit we have looked at times this year.

If the bar is set high enough our players just don't struggle aerobically like they have. Bennett teams may play a simple mistake free game plan. But he ups the training work rate weeks before finals so come finals they are on a decreased work rate.

Hasler may focus on building up to and being ready to peak in September.

But neither of these top coaches big on working hard and discipline ever has a team unfit.

How about setting up for a field goal. It tells a lot about how big the coach is on structures and every player knowing his role. Consider how many games the dogs won last year by a point? They knew their roles, went back to set plays, structures and handled pressure.

Sorry but we continue To look rubbish in these areas as well. We are disorganised kaos.

Donny would often say our boys were doing mental training working under fatigue a few years back. We probably were, but objectively we haven't looked like we handled pressure well since Des.

Coaches do coach dealing with pressure. I've had coaches who were big on calculations and spatial awareness assessments in the middle of a running drill. It's suppose to help the mind react to stimuli and process information whilst your football brain is still doing its thing with the drill.

The top sides handle pressure and play percentages.

As a group we look even less composed in 2016 compared to recent years.

We aren't or weren't on a rebuild like the roosters buying Kapow, Brown, Myles and with Snake, Skivvy and Killer in our squad. This was a top 8 squad who as a group just aren't showing signs of improving.

With the one exception of our defence in recent weeks, I just don't see what areas Baz is improving this group. Some Players have Improved individually sure.

I hope Baz proves me wrong and wins us a comp. But after almost a season in charge, I just don't know what area or thing you see that suggests he is transforming us into a premiership winning team?

Everything you said is spot on. However it took those coaches several years with the same squad, and the same asst. coaches to achieve those levels of professionalism.

Why were these levels so low at the beginning of the year?

4 of our team came from the brilliantly coached Panthers by Cleary. Did they forget over the break. The rest of the team were coached by 2V and Hasler, didn't they instill some of that?

I 'm putting the finishing touches on a time machine and I plan to borrow Trent Barrett for a few years and send him back to coach Paramatta in the early eighties. Next adventure if he comes back is to blast him into the early nineties and let him try his luck with the Green machine. Each team had many certain test players , not fringe or sometimes but the core group. I will report back with the results but I am afraid he is that bad that he will turn those teams into a rabble. Has either club had one decent coach since then or coaching reputations largely based on the roster? This forum would be compelling reading if we ever get a 20 or 30 year lean spell with a few spoons tossed in. Souths seem to be badly in need of a tough coach to get their season back on track , someone like .............................. Maguire , oh that's right he's still there

I 'm putting the finishing touches on a time machine and I plan to borrow Trent Barrett for a few years and send him back to coach Paramatta in the early eighties. Next adventure if he comes back is to blast him into the early nineties and let him try his luck with the Green machine. Each team had many certain test players , not fringe or sometimes but the core group. I will report back with the results but I am afraid he is that bad that he will turn those teams into a rabble. Has either club had one decent coach since then or coaching reputations largely based on the roster? This forum would be compelling reading if we ever get a 20 or 30 year lean spell with a few spoons tossed in. Souths seem to be badly in need of a tough coach to get their season back on track , someone like .............................. Maguire , oh that's right he's still there

Important to remember what Hasler had in his first year coaching the Sea Eagles. Look at the list

Brett Stewart
Glenn Stewart
Chris Hicks
Donald
Watmough
Jason King
Hopoate
Haumona
Andrew Walker
Michael Monaghan
Steve Menzies.

Some of Manly's future stars were in that side. Noted many were still young and starting out but its quite an impressive list coached by Hasler in his first year. They came in at 13th.

Just getting Barrett's first year into perspective.

Important to remember what Hasler had in his first year coaching the Sea Eagles. Look at the list

Brett Stewart
Glenn Stewart
Chris Hicks
Donald
Watmough
Jason King
Hopoate
Haumona
Andrew Walker
Michael Monaghan
Steve Menzies.

Some of Manly's future stars were in that side. Noted many were still young and starting out but its quite an impressive list coached by Hasler in his first year. They came in at 13th.

Back then they were on the up, Peter Sharp was useless so Hasler looked better immediately. They were improving playing a tough brand of football. You could see the quality in the guys like Choc, Stewarts etc much like the Turbo's then we got Kite and Kennedy and killed it.

Brett Stewart
Glenn Stewart
Chris Hicks
Donald
Watmough
Jason King
Hopoate
Haumona
Andrew Walker
Michael Monaghan
Steve Menzies.

I remember Tezz Hill making a comeback around this time which was at times a touch tragic but there was no need to panic , no harm done, keeping things in perspective as fans and enjoying the emerging next generation is not a bad way to go. Our best ever player left (Bozo) and we win it 2 years later. It looks to me the best chance of medium and long term success revolves around building a roster of young players who stay for a decade topped up by some older talent. Our best two eras were driven by a core of young players who had little success in their first few years. I remember Brent Kite signing after having 8 clubs, or so ,chasing him and saying he did his research and ended up with us. I doubt that he panicked when we did not win the title straight away and decided Hasler was no good.

Back then they were on the up, Peter Sharp was useless so Hasler looked better immediately. They were improving playing a tough brand of football. You could see the quality in the guys like Choc, Stewarts etc much like the Turbo's then we got Kite and Kennedy and killed it.

So the quality of players made the difference ... not the coach.

Imagine how good we would have gone this year if we had players like Snake, Matai, Lawrence and others like Turbo, DCE and Lyon playing every week.

Weren't the biggest losses in our club's history suffered in 2004 and 2005?
But we had been a rabble under Sharp for so many years we were conditioned to losing so we didn't get too upset, although i am sure we were all on eneeyedeagle giving it socks.

He won 11 games last year from 24. That's 45%.
Baz is 8 from 20. That's 40%. With 4 games to play.

Not all that different really. And when you consider the team Toovs had last year...
Compared to the complete overhaul to the playing group we experienced this year...

How can u say Toovs performance was acceptable but Baz's isn't?

Difficult to answer this without knowing the extent of any possible match fixing. Maybe there was none. Maybe there was a lot of it going on. We may never know.
Regardless of whether any MF took place, it's no secret that Tooves also had to work with players who wanted him gone. Manly finished on 26 points last year with an unhappy playing group under Tooves, which is a better effort than this years result as Barrett had not only a happier roster, but also a much improved one to work with.

Last edited:
Our season is over .

I stilll cant believe that we had no body supporting Kapow all night, we had no set play with Kapow running on the edges to attract defenders for a try out the back and with line runners . He is our strike player that we should be using to create trys. Trent has coached rugby league and coached 23 times, watched the game for 15 years yet fails to captalize on this.

Yet %50 of the people on here think he is going to develop the skills of a firstgrade coach with 200+ games experience and take us to a title in the next 2 years ?

Even with Bozo in his corner.... PLease wake up

In his prime, Barrett was a good attacking player. As coach, he hasn't brought anything to our attack to class it passable. Lots of work needed in the off-season & the purchase of a classy centre & winger would help.

If that's the case then who wants spoilt brat supporters who only support the team when it's winning...? That's not what supporters do.

U have to go through the good and the bad and come out the other side.

Manly is going through a massive transition period with the loss of a decade long playing group. It's the first year for a new coach with a very new look team, a new look culture and regardless of what grandstand keyboard warrior expert white ants say - I'm sure everyone in that dressing sheds is doing there very best to get a winning result.

But yet, "supporters" on Silvertails sit in their snug expert chairs firing shot after shot at the team.

Expecting results from a team that has had the adversities (match fixing allegations, Toovey debacle, injuries to core players, Walker 5/8 experiment etc etc) of this year is just remarkably silly and shows some supporters are just whingers and not supporters.
What a load of crap !!! Supporters on this site have been loyal to our club through the good times and Northern eagle times but that does not mean that we don't have to voice our opinions when we see incompetency . Our season is over Batty and you can stick all your excuses and Trent Barrett where the sun don't shine.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8