Trent Barrett Poll

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Do you believe that Trent Barrett is capable of taking Manly to a premiership win

• Yes

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 61 44.5%
  • Not sure, But I reckon he might.

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Not sure, But I doubt he will.

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters
@Batty we're only really negative when we're losing like we have been the past two seasons because we're so used to this club winning and we want them to keep winning. Sure, sometimes we're negative even when we win but that is because some of us see things that aren't right or we think aren't right, but that is more constructive criticism than negativity.

Go to any of the other fan forums in the NRL, even the AFL, and you will see exactly the same thing. When you win things are great. When you lose.....

With regards to Manly under Barrett's coaching, there is really only one thing as a team that we have improved on in the second half of this season and that is our defence. Our attack still looks like its stuck in the mud, even when Killer plays at 5/8. Yes with Killer in the halves its much better simply because it gives the opposition someone else to think about other than DCE, but realistically most of our scoring plays still come from individual brilliance rather than set plays or structures.

Individual players have improved. Walker's form went up markedly moving from 5/8 to centre, Tom is getting better with experience and hell, even Wiliame has improved his game to a point. But as a team we're still not gelling and while a lot of that can be put down to the injuries which has meant we haven't come close to putting what should have been our best 17 on the field, some of it also has to come down to coaching.

As I've said previously, I would like to see how Barrett goes next year if he has at least somewhere close to a fully fit squad for the season. Can he take us to a premiership? Maybe.

No one thought at this stage of his first season that Des was going to take us to 3 GF's and 2 premierships. But then, Des was also a long time Sea Eagle where Barrett isn't. As much as people might have bitched about his first season results I think they were a bit more forgiving of Des simply because he had been around the club for almost 20 years and had won a premiership as a player. He had that instant respect from the fans for that reason alone. Barrett has to earn it from the ground up.
Well said V8 and as soon as Barrett starts winning games he will be wining fans as well . No one likes a loser and that is a fact !!!

I used to shudder when the other team spread the ball against Manly under Tooves to some extent but more at the start of this year. At times you knew if the ball went wide it was a certain try. I would like to commend whoever is to blame for this dramatic improvement as our defence is so much better. Our attack needs to improve but it's funny for a lot of our recent golden spell I believe our attack was not that well structured as in you couldn't see tries unfolding in a way they do say at the cows at their best. A lot of tries came from desire and talent. I do recall however how great our attack looked in Tooves 1st year I think for the early part of the season. It was unreal but I suppose the other coaches work it out to some degree. I would have loved to have signed James Roberts for this year but if he was here and having such a low impact would we be saying it is Barretts fault and if he had of gone to the broncos a better coach like Bennett would have unlocked his lethal talent? As for Hasler I was just thinking given the players he has been able to buy, along with the existing roster, his strike rate in improving players is pretty low compared to what happened at the Eagles. Lafai, Williams ,Hodgkinson , Hopoate plus others who are treading water.

Drawing unrelated parallels via the use of the long bow seem to be the norm in BazBashin, so I'll reply in kind.

Ivan Cleary has been sacked from his two last clubs for incompetence, we have a coach who has never been sacked.
This is fun Woodsie, you're so easy to hook up and reel in. There should be a "sh1t stirring" emoticon.

You have nailed in one the point I was trying to make. Every single point of view can be rationalised in some way with a modicum of fact to justify it. In the end it's all 100% subjective opinion and every single person on the Forum not only has an opinion, but is 100% entitled to have that opinion.

The cheap point scoring that goes on here is called debate as we each try to justify that subjective position. Fun, isn't it. :)

We support Manly the way we want @Batty. :rock:
Most of us do not support mindlessly like you decree, as we do not accept mediocrity. :wondering:

Criticism of the Club is warranted and we actually are financially vested in Manly's success, through our memberships and purchase of merchandise .

Expecting results from a team that has had the adversities (match fixing allegations, Toovey debacle, injuries to core players, Walker 5/8 experiment etc etc) of this year is just remarkably silly and shows some supporters are just whingers and not supporters.

Patently a ridiculous statement, if you consider the Titans and the Eels on field performances this year.@:cool:

The alleged Match fixing and the Toovey debacle were deliberate acts by some Manly Players - allegedly.:mad:
The Toovey debacle and the Walker 5/8 experiment were deliberate acts by the Manly Club - a new direction :mad:

So apart from injuries, which Manly also suffered in 2015, our expectation of on field results was high in 2016 due to - new star recruits, new facilities, highest jersey sponsorship :)rolleyes:), unified Board, new coaching and performance Staff.

Yet Manly are currently well behind the 2015 results :(

The New Era may take a few more years to eventuate :wait:

Yeah I certainly am coming across as obsessed with BazBashing. To answer your question. Obviously I never wanted Baz as a coach, I used to give **** to my St George friends about Baz, I refered to him as Mr Mediocre on many occasions, I never rated him as a player. I have wished that he was moved on for every round this year. Basically he represents everything that is wrong with Manly at the moment. Baz as a person i'm am convinced he is a nice genuine bloke. Bozo thinks he is a coaching prodigy for some reason I will never understand.

If I had my way Toovey would have seen out his contract for 2016 and I would have moved heaven and earth to snatch Des back for 2017. Failing that, I would have signed Ivan Cleary for 2017 and got a coach that had at least taken a notoriously patchy side like the Warriors to a GF with the likes of Lewis Brown and Feliti Mateo. I actually believe Cleary was moved on from Penrith because his son was emerging as a superstar and they were worried that a players father being the coach wouldn't work & they would lose Nathan to a rival club or It would become a problem for the other players. If Toovey had to go this year I would have looked at a bloke like Griffin which sounds like hindsight now but at the time I actually thought he or Kevin Walters would have been good fits in the Manly culture. But we got Baz and it is what it is.
Thanks for answering. Now I get you.;)

With out the Penn's we have no team . Have you got any mates that would like to put their money where their mouth is and take over our club ?
When I'm rich I'm in. First female Nrl club owner. First Premiership under a female owner.
Blocker: Multi millions of dollars but who knows I might invent an App that the world must have.

So

Hats off to him for trying. And also admitting that it didn't work.

He's obviously not as knowledgable on these issues as some on Silvertails....
Good on him for having a go and trying. After all NRL is not about winning, it is just about participation and having fun.

Don't be a clown...
Inglis, Moylan or Hayne at 5/8... Tapau at 2nd row, Parker at front row, Thaiday in the back row... All players changing positions.

He tried it. Didn't work. Your obviously the expert - bozo should get you in to advise!
My input couldn't be any worse than the current directors.

Ha. Ok Mr Hindsight.

Anyone can sit back and use hindsight to make themselves an expert.

I'm sure if you were capable of a board level exec role you'd probably be there and not on your phone on a forum talking about how you'd make better decisions than the Manly Sea Eagles board.
Zorba is on our board, how in gods name is he qualified for anything other than directing journo's like Dean Richie to write puff pieces about Trent Barrett when the irrelevant natives get restless? (See todays Telecrap)

Barrett says: "I have never been in the situation of losing 7 in a row either as a player or a coach, neither have any of the players" then he says "It happens to everyone" um no it doesn't Trent, your previous statement says it doesn't.

Trent says: "Im not making excuses but we have had a huge injury toll" um that actually is making an excuse Trent.

Anyway I am signing off my BazBashing my work is done. The club dont give a **** so why should I.

Zorba is on our board, how in gods name is he qualified for anything other than directing journo's like Dean Richie to write puff pieces about Trent Barrett when the irrelevant natives get restless? (See todays Telecrap)

Barrett says: "I have never been in the situation of losing 7 in a row either as a player or a coach, neither have any of the players" then he says "It happens to everyone" um no it doesn't Trent, your previous statement says it doesn't.

Trent says: "Im not making excuses but we have had a huge injury toll" um that actually is making an excuse Trent.

Anyway I am signing off my BazBashing my work is done. The club dont give a **** so why should I.
Zorba is not on our Board.

Didn't he say we the fans were irrelevant? What he doesn't realise is on Silvertails the fans are mostly irreverent. :rolleyes:

He said the fans were irrelevant too. He also said that the football club was irrelevant as the Owners controlled the board. Which makes the board irrelevant. Somehow he thinks he is relevant, go figure??

Last edited:
He said the fans were irrelevant too. He also said that the football club was irrelevant as the Owners controlled the board. Which makes the board irrelevant. Somehow he think he is elevant, go figure??
fixed

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6