Trent Barrett as assistant coach?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't want to say that I told you so but in my post of 2 April 2015 I said:

Hello all fellow diehard Manly supporters. I am a life long Manly supporter who has followed this site with interest for many years, even when it was part of the club website - so go easy on me with my first post. I love 2V both as a player & coach. I have info that Trent Barrett will be the coach next year, or sooner if the wins dont come soon....Dont laugh...it will happen.

Sea Eagle 4 Life, Apr 2, 2015

This is pretty much the definition of 'I told you so!"

@:p:giggle:

As long as Tooves is treated with respect I can handle it. What I can't tolerate is if there is backstabbing and shafting going on behind Tooves back. If Bozo is involved I'd be surprised if he wasn't completely upfront with Tooves and said 'We're bringing Trent in to help, but if results don't improve you'll be out and he'll be in'. Perhaps a touch direct (but Bozo seems that way) and honest.

As long as Tooves is treated with respect I can handle it. What I can't tolerate is if there is backstabbing and shafting going on behind Tooves back. If Bozo is involved I'd be surprised if he wasn't completely upfront with Tooves and said 'We're bringing Trent in to help, but if results don't improve you'll be out and he'll be in'. Perhaps a touch direct (but Bozo seems that way) and honest.

Yeah that's guaranteed to work isn't it, "We're bringing in your replacement for you to train up before you get shafted"

If Barrett is coming he will not becoming 2 be Toovey's assistant (any longer than the rest of the season) he can stay at the Panthers and be an assistant.
Yeah but he'd be in the Riff every day as opposed to lovely Narra. Reason enough to change right there

Phil Gould is 1 of them, 1 of the best rugby league brains in the business.

Has had some success at lower levels. Assistant at Penrith under Cleary and Gould so would have gained plenty of quality knowledge and seems to do a decent job with the country side

KE, I agree that Phil Gould is a very smart man and his opinions are worth listening to. He's also very loyal to his players and coaches (again, a positive quality), so it doesn't surprise me that he'd give Barrett a good report. But he also had a high opinion of Brad Fittler, and look how his coaching career panned out…
Coaching a rep side once a year or working as an assistant coach is very different to coaching a first-grade NRL team week in, week out. Much like Fittler, Trent Barrett never struck me (or anyone else, as far as I know) as a mental giant. If we're going to turf a club legend like Tooves, I'd feel a little bit better about it knowing we were replacing him with a demonstrably better option. Even Nathan Brown has more runs on the board than Barrett.
I'd like the club to tough it out and stick by Tooves, although I know that's increasingly unlikely.

I've supported Tooves forever but I am starting to think the team needs something fresh. Injuries I know, but after the initial burst against the Panthers we looked like the same tired old losing team we've been for much of the season. I do think we need fresh and if Gus thinks he is the goods then (I almost can't bear to say this) give him a go. Ouch!

I'm in the different corner, I'd love to see Tooves given the chance with some quality forwards next year. He's done a great job getting us through some crap times. I think he's at least owed the opportunity to see out his contract under his own terms.

Much much rather Ivan Cleary than Barrett. Cleary is quality. Greatly improved the Warriors and Panthers sides he has coached. Very smart, he's not a rookie who has little experience, yet he is still quite young and could easily be our next Des 6-8 year dynasty type coach. My sister and brother in law know him well, went to his wedding etc, he is a good suite for Manly. Barrett? Once a year, for a few days, he coaches established first graders in the country side and he got slapped in the face

Well Tooveys days are numbered if this is the case. the knives have been out for him now for quite a while and for some reason those who run the joint appear not to want him around.
If Bozo's role is to turf out Toovey and bring in guys like Barrett and Hopoate, I hate to think where we are headed. All of a sudden this club has been turned into a nasty place to be, just like a lot of other unsuccessful clubs who have toxic environments around them day in day out. Never seen so much bitching and infighting at Manly in all my years.
Is Bozo just going to create a boys club within the organisation for his mates??? I hope not, but I am still not convinced he is the man to turn the joint around.

Yep I agree why would you come to be the same as he was at Penrith. How Many Assistants does Tooves need. Barrett, Joey and Penna.

Is there any point in spending 1.4M on DCE and then not spending on the coach though? Kind of like buying an AMG merc to park outside your dump in Shalvey

Hang on, let's not get too excited. The big question is:
Are NRL coaches covered by the Round 13 backflip rule?
Gee, isn't rugby league an exciting sport!

Is there any point in spending 1.4M on DCE and then not spending on the coach though? Kind of like buying an AMG merc to park outside your dump in Shalvey
You can buy a new home to park your AMG in front of if needed, but doesn't mean it still wont get trashed.

I'm in the different corner, I'd love to see Tooves given the chance with some quality forwards next year. He's done a great job getting us through some crap times. I think he's at least owed the opportunity to see out his contract under his own terms.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Getting rid of Tooves would feel like throwing in the towel and that is something that Manly doesn't do.

You can buy a new home to park your AMG in front of if needed, but doesn't mean it still wont get trashed.
Maybe buying a new AMG then handing the keys over to your p-plater kid who drives it straight into wall

Agree. That would be closer to the truth. I back the club's decisions 100%
Over time hopefully some of the negative weevils on this forum disappear also.

Agreed if Tooves is respected then its natural progression. These young coaches need to start somewhere, cause once they succeed you wont get them out of the incumbent club. Look at Maguire, Robinson etc. Not getting them out. Any mildly successful coach you would have to throw big dollars at to move.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8