Tremendous Win, but of our discipline??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Georgie-O

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I thought some penalties against us tonight were a bit rough, but not unlike previous years we're racking up reasonably high counts against us. Choc giving away his fair share as always, and let's face it, he's a marked man with referee's these days. But ill-discipline against the clean skin sides will hurt us. Might it be time to make the dreaded call to Chief Harrigan to arrange a traffic warden to come out to training? While the rest of our game is coming along very nicely, whether we think we're hard done by or not, i think it might be best to ensure all that bases are being covered?

I would think that unwise. To do so draws the officials attention squarely on us when we dont need it. Work on our own game and let the refs work on theirs.

Jatz Crackers said:
I would think that unwise. To do so draws the officials attention squarely on us when we dont need it. Work on our own game and let the refs work on theirs.

It may work the opposite way, with the Refs willing to give us latitude if they see us as attempting to stay inside the rules. Still risky....

Haven't looked at the stats, but would have thought we're amongst the most penalised teams, if not THE most penalised. If so, then it's no secret and worthwhile to show we want to improve.

We are just too slow to get off the tackled player. It isn't helped by the ridiculous 'dominant' calls and it can be all too subjective. However, going on what I have seen in most games the refs have been reasonably consistent and we just don't move fast enough. With the stopping of walking forward off the mark and having two markers working both sides there is really no excuse.

Yea, there were a few silly mistakes and errors through the game from our boys, but this is the time of year for it rather than August/Sept.

They could do with a little more discipline focus perhaps yea - I think Dessie, the staff & especially Jamie & Jason can take care of it.
Though some kind of NRL officials visiting a Sea Eagles training session and having some session could help too.

ManlyBacker said:
We are just too slow to get off the tackled player. It isn't helped by the ridiculous 'dominant' calls and it can be all too subjective. However, going on what I have seen in most games the refs have been reasonably consistent and we just don't move fast enough. With the stopping of walking forward off the mark and having two markers working both sides there is really no excuse.
Spot on manlybacker it's been like that since day one why hasn't des addressed that??? with all that great effort in scoring why keep putting yourself under the pump defending.

No doubt penalties against are a problem but it might almost depend on what ref you get as opposed to your own discipline. That being said, I think quite of few of the penalties blown last night didn't need to be blown. No matter how good your discipline is you can't do anything about it when its a dud call by the refs.

Jason Robinson is a tool of a ref. Complete and total. His eagerness to blow his stupid little whistle all but destroyed the game and made it look like our discipline was suspect. Sure there were a couple of indiscretions from our boys but no more than the Panthers.So why the lopsided penalty count? Ask Jason R.

We are the worst offenders in relation to slowing the play the ball---stuck in the 2005-2008 wrestling mentality overly so. G.Stewart is one of the biggest offenders and it annoys the crap out of me as much as Watmough and his lack of attention to detail during the play the ball.

We actually could of got pinned many times for walking off the mark which is another area on top of not facing square during "our" play the ball. If we clean up all facets surrounding the play the ball it will go along way to reducing the penalty count but will make for a faster game that our larger forwards will not be able to cope with----a balancing act that will be hard to balance.

Good to see Ballin check with the ref during the first half if he stepped off the mark before playing the ball but i guess you would expect that from such a disciplined performer on and off the field.

Manly have the reputation of bending/stretching the rules beyond the opinions of one NRL coach and the reputation is feeding itself through the Ref ranks why do you think Dessie is trying to have a more relaxed approach with Refs this season he is aware of the warranted reputation.

Technical Coach said:
We are the worst offenders in relation to slowing the play the ball---stuck in the 2005-2008 wrestling mentality overly so. G.Stewart is one of the biggest offenders and it annoys the crap out of me as much as Watmough and his lack of attention to detail during the play the ball.

We actually could of got pinned many times for walking off the mark which is another area on top of not facing square during "our" play the ball. If we clean up all facets surrounding the play the ball it will go along way to reducing the penalty count but will make for a faster game that our larger forwards will not be able to cope with----a balancing act that will be hard to balance.

Good to see Ballin check with the ref during the first half if he stepped off the mark before playing the ball but i guess you would expect that from such a disciplined performer on and off the field.

Manly have the reputation of bending/stretching the rules beyond the opinions of one NRL coach and the reputation is feeding itself through the Ref ranks why do you think Dessie is trying to have a more relaxed approach with Refs this season he is aware of the warranted reputation.

I think our play the balls are pretty good. This is where Choc needs to be credited instead of whipped for it. He often pokes his nose through the line or beats a tackle meaning the tacklers are around his legs and not his torso and he often beats them in standing up. Because he does that he's allowed a little latitude and he really on takes a small step forward because defenders are still on the ground and I don't think he's doing anything wrong. Infact I think its an excellent string to his bow but he might get pinged once in a hundred times for it, but its worth it because the other 99 times we get a decent advantage from it.

bazeagle said:
Whatever TC. Your analysis is a load of bollocks, sorry.

It amazes me people still feel the need to make replies unrelated to the game or club just for the sake of making the writer aware of their personal opinions without any constructive comments to go with it.

I guess i'm falling into the same category right this second but i'm trying to do it with an element of class.

With Watmough i was more referring to his lack of ball care and play the ball technique but he does tend to step off the mark often also.

You might be right that he is given more latitude due to poking through the line with players around his feet but in the end its still against the current rules that they are trying to pin down on and not worth pushing all the time if its a subjective rule given latitude.

Conversely tackling around the feet is given latitude in relation to slowing the play the ball down--(refs are allowing tacklers around the feet in certain situations to work the player over on the ground to give them time to make marker) so Watmough has to pick his times to do so.

Great that Ballin checked with the ref re the mark. We should do that every play the play just to be safe - that'd help our play the ball speed.....

ads said:
Great that Ballin checked with the ref re the mark. We should do that every play the play just to be safe - that'd help our play the ball speed.....

Better than giving a penalty away

ads said:

My statement in relation to Ballin checking with the ref was more about his attention to detail and respect of the play the ball it was not a general statement to make players check after every single tackle.

As a previous post stated Refs may give latitude to players trying to kick away from defenders who are trying to slow the play the ball down. Its in these instances that looking up with a nod or receiving a nod from the ref makes all the difference especially when your in your own half early in the tackle count.

Jerry1 said:
ads said:

Better than giving a penalty away

How many off the mark penalties have we given?

Howabbout the 17 in the squad take on the attitude of "we are going to be than the other 17 and the refs, and win regardless of bad calls" Refs have always made bad calls and always will.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2