Toughest Twelve

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
THE toughest men to have ever laced on a boot in rugby league were last night honoured at a gala event at Star City.

Judged to have been the hardest and most enduring over the last 50 years, the Jim Beam "Toughest 12" was announced by the Men of League Foundation at the black-tie dinner.

Unsurprisingly, only four of the dozen men - Shane Webcke, Mal Meninga, Trevor Gillmeister and Geoff Toovey - played after 1990. Most were from the brutal era of the 1960s to 80s.

Former Magpies halfback Tommy Raudonikis told The Daily Telegraph he was honoured to be included in the list.

"To be honest I am very proud but I find it hard to believe I am one of the toughest 12 players of the last 50 years," Raudonikis said.

"In the 70s I was probably the toughest halfback going around. I really rode roughshod over the rest of them. I think I was definitely the toughest halfback but to be included in the 12 toughest players . . . that's awesome.

"Roy Masters (former Wests coach) always said the longer the game went the better I went. When I broke my arm against Manly, I told him I wasn't real good. He said it was up to me if I wanted to stay on but he wanted me to aim up if I stayed on.

"For me being tough was about hating my rivals and maybe that was it."

Judges chose players who were one or more of the following: courageous, durable, enduring, intimidating, relentless and resilient.

All eleven living members of the prestigious group were on hand to be honoured last night.

The Jim Beam "Toughest 12" are: Kevin Ryan, Shane Webcke, Noel Kelly, John Sattler, Malcolm Reilly, Ray Price, John O'Neill (dec), Mal Meninga, Geoff Toovey, Terry Randall, Trevor Gillmeister and Tom Raudonikis.

A couple of Manly hard men in there. Not too many backs made the cut :lol:

Ray Price's selection is a joke, I could think of a dozen players that are tougher or more intimidating than him.

Ray Price's selection is a joke, I could think of a dozen players that are tougher or more intimidating than him.

George Piggins should be there along with Paul Sait and Garry Stevens. Brian Clay was tough and so was Ian Walsh.

Who else would you pick?

No one from the Bears?

I can't believe that none of the old norths hard nuts like Peter Mayoh, Rod Henniker, Alan Shepherd or Doug Rollerston made the team. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Les Davidson, David Gillespie and Peter Kelly spring to mind. For axe murderer like pyschotics you couldn't go past the Rampling brothers, Terry Regan, Mark Geyer or Dean Pay.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6