Topou signs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
Topou has signed a 4 year deal for $1,500,000 with the Cronulla Sharks. The opportunity to paly under Australian coach Ricky Stuart swayed the deal the sharks way.
The Sharks are also close to signing 1 other big name player and expect to have the player signed within 2 weeks.

So who do we chase now ??

I just can't fathom that our down turn in roster ranks is hitting home already. Our time at the top was way, WAY too short.

Apparently Hull had scouts out for Dobson tonight.
Surely we'd have looked at that option.

Ryan link said:
I just can't fathom that our down turn in roster ranks is hitting home already. Our time at the top was way, WAY too short.
Six weeks in the season is way too early to make this call. With the cap and an even comp a few injuries here and there can cruel any team.

Reni Matua if he can get a release.
Michael Dobson could be worth a shot.
Jackson Nicolau from NQL had alot of wraps, yet to really crack it.

I would be chasing Liam Foran from the storm and further his development,
and i would be trying to blood Kieran this year.

I future in the the halves would be in good hands i reckon.

A stunned Manly insists it will not be panicked into paying over the odds for a top-line forward after being gazumped by Cronulla for the signature of Test star Anthony Tupou.

The Sea Eagles were putting on a brave face on Tuesday in the wake of Tupou's decision to shun them for the Sharks, but they are privately gutted at missing out on the Roosters back-rower.

Cronulla entered the race late, sneaking under Manly's guard to grab Tupou on a four-year deal worth around $1.5m.

It's the second time in a month the Sea Eagles have missed out on a marquee player, with Canberra's Todd Carney rejecting an offer from the peninsula club to remain with the Raiders.

"It's a little bit disappointing but that's professional sport," Manly CEO Grant Mayer said of Tupou's surprise decision.

"You've got to be in there having a go. A few years ago we wouldn't have been in the grand final (for Tupou) ... so to be down to the last two or three, it's a great result but disappointing at the last hurdle."

Mayer feared Manly may have missed its man after Tupou's management began drawing out proceedings.

"As soon as you start to get beyond two or three weeks in regards to negotiations you tend to think there is something else out there," he said.

"Anthony has come out and made a decision and good luck to him, but we've got to move forward."

Coach Des Hasler added: "(With Tupou) living over that way (Cronulla) and playing (most of) his first grade football under Ricky Stuart, who is also the Australian coach, I can understand him wanting to go there and play for the Sharks."

"He was part of our recruitment policy but there are other options and we'll move on."

The rejection leaves Manly still hunting a replacement for retired ex-skipper Ben Kennedy and veteran Steve Menzies, who may be into his last year.

But last year's grand finalists have vowed not to throw ridiculous amounts of money around in a desperate bid to attract a quality back-rower.

"There are a lot of clubs paying a lot of money for these players," Mayer pointed out.

"We're at a stage where we don't need to over pay players to come here - we're a stand alone product."

"We can sit back, see what's in the market place and make the right decision for the club."

I actually don't think Tupou has the capacity to make a "decision". He looks like a complete Meat Axe.
"Anthony, we've made an offer over two months ago now. I was wondering if you are any closer to a decision?" asked the inquisitive CEO of The Manly Sea Eagles, to which the reply was:-

"Who's on 1st base, who's on second base?". "Boxer shorts at K-mart, gotta buy boxer shorts at K-mart". Anthony then started spasmodically smacking his own bowed head, with cries of "Aaaaa, Aaaaaa, Aaaaa".

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6