Top Post on MSE ( Manly...written off every year (will it happen again in 09?))

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Manly...written off every year (will it happen again in 09?)

Manly just seem to constantly be written off every year, has anyone else noticed that?

2005 - we buy Ben Kennedy and Brent Kite, the media think it will do little. We come 8th (after leading after about 9 rounds). And go out in the first round of the finals.
2006 - we buy Matt Orford, the media says this will do nothing and last year was a fluke. We come 5th and go out in the 2nd round of the finals.
2007 - BK retires and we buy Jamie Lyon. The media have a field day. Manly cannot win without BK, Jamie Lyon is overrated...blah blah blah. In steps Glenn Stewart to replace BK and has the season of his life. We come 2nd and make the GF.
2008 - we sign Josh Perry. We lost Michael Monaghan, we are written off again saying we are not the real deal, and many pundits say we will not make the 8. This continues all through the season. A couple of weeks from the finals we have a loss or two. We are lambasted by the media saying we have no chance, we smash the titans, tigers and panthers. And still have no chance. We face the dragons in week1. This is our bogey team and the experts say we're screwed and will lose. We hammer them. We then face the Warriors, before the game experts Ben Ikin and Laurie Daley both write us off saying the Warriors will do us...we hammer them. And then of course the GF where we create history.

Will the same happen in 2009? Are Manly the real deal?

Note to the experts... please write us off. It's a guarantee we'll suceed!

this post hit what I was thinking the other day on the head
I also think Crusher had a real lot to do with it as well
I think he is silently doing his thing in the background advising Dessie

"experts Ben Ikin and Laurie Daley"

Wow....I never thought I'd see those words adjacent to each other in a sentence without the words "bum love" preceeding them.

We are the only team in the last 30 years to win a grand final in each decade which makes us the best club in the last 30 years or so case closed.

ponti that would be 4 decades of dominance :D

manly will be in the top 4 again, it just isn't in dessies nature the let them slacken off. Loss of menzies is huge to moral week in week out. should be interestingf

brisbane is the boggy team, no bennet, but they can truly win any game they want with lockyer hunt and hodges playing behind a true forward pack

Who cares if people write us off we are the Premiers. And we will make it back to back titles in 09. There's always going to be some Manly haters, or so called experts writing us off that's their problem the trophy is back in Gods country where it belongs.

Seriously after watching the replay we are going to be very hard to beat next year. Gaining as much as we lose.

I think Brisbane will be the BIG improver...don't forget Filou as well!!!

IMO I reckon we'll finish in the top 2 again, maybe even first, the loss of Beaver will be great BUT don't forget everyone wrote us off when we lost Ben Kennedy and then everyone wrote us off again when we lost Monna's.

The Manly "Team" (and I don't mean the players) that surround Dessie are smart buggars....or should I use the wrod "driven". They'll love what they experienced this year and want it again!!!

Zep link said:
ponti that would be 4 decades of dominance :D

manly will be in the top 4 again, it just isn't in dessies nature the let them slacken off. Loss of menzies is huge to moral week in week out. should be interestingf

brisbane is the boggy team, no bennet, but they can truly win any game they want with lockyer hunt and hodges playing behind a true forward pack
Correct zep you goy me on that one.

clontaago link said:
Seriously after watching the replay we are going to be very hard to beat next year. Gaining as much as we lose.

Sadly, that isn't how it works. Otherwise Melbourne would've won this year. Everything fell into place for us in 2008, and that's what you need to win a comp. Just like the Tigers in '05 (no injuries, everything clicked), Penrith (no injuries), Brisbane (everything fell into place after it looked like it was falling apart!!) etc.

2008 was our year, no doubt about it. But the fact that Melbourne couldn't go back to back....that tells me that we've got a whole lot of work ahead of us if we're going to.

Re: Top Post on MSE ( Manly...written off every year (will it happen again in 09

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I think Brisbane will be the BIG improver...don't forget Filou as well!!!
  You underestimate what the loss of Bennett means to them.  I expect their players will make the Bullwogs look like angels next year. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6