1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top halfbacks in the NRL (ROthfield blog)

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    You can’t win an NRL premiership without a gun half-back.

It’s been proven every season that an outstanding No 7 is the first requirement to build a premiership winning side.

Today I list how I think each club’s halfback stacks up. Join me at 1pm today and tell me if you agree.

Send questions and comments now

1 Johnathon Thurston (Cowboys)

2 Cooper Cronk (Storm)

3 Scott Prince (Titans)

4 Mitchell Pearce (Roosters)

5 Brett Kimmorley (Bulldogs)

6 Ben Hornby (Dragons)

7 Daniel Mortimer (Eels)

8 Peter Wallace (Broncos)

9 Chris Sandow (Souths)

10 Luke Walsh (Panthers)

11 Trent Hodkinson (Manly)

12 Robert Lui (Tigers)

13 Tim Smith (Sharks)

14 Scott Dureau (Knights)

15 Josh McCrone (Raiders)

16 James Maloney (Warriors)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/top-halfbacks-in-the-nrl/story-e6frexnr-1225855741573

2. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    trent may be still a bit green but I rate him ahead of Sandow, Wallace and hornby

3. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    Agree BE.

I still am not convinced about Pearce, he is a great defender no doubt, but top 5 half back not sure what that could be judged on

4. eggson

eggson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +239 / 2
    So far Trent would have to be in the lead for rookie of the year.  Definately way better than Sandow and others above him but i can see why he's so low, only having played a couple, not enough for a true indication. 

Rothfield had Rick Stone on the bottom of his coaches list for the same reason so the fact Trent isn't last says he's REALLY going good guns.  I'm just loving watching this side go round the field, we really have a tight well-drilled unit.

5. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    I think that is a fair rating given Trent's performances and involvement to date. He has been taking a back seat to Foran and really is just a secondary option at the moment, Keiran has been the driver. A bit like Lui/Lazarus and Marshall, Dureau and Mullen, Campo and McCrone and probably Barrett and Smith. That's not to say that the situation won't change as I have noticed that Trent's involvement has increased week by week and with it his confidence is growing. He will need to show that he is capable of leading the attack and confidently driving the team around before he could be considered in the top 5. Hopefully by season end him and Foran are taking equal share and are providing two solid attacking/playmaking options.

6. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    These sort of ratings ignore what impact the player has on a team. Hodko is raw and improving. Hard to argue with most of the ratings though, except for Sandow maybe.

However this is from the guy who rated Jared WH as the 34th best player in the league, before a kick was taken this season, ahead of all the Manly forwards except Watmough!!!

7. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    wonder where Foran would rate in the 5/8s list right now

8. Pepi

Pepi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +318 / 20
    Based on form Foran is probably only behind Marshall. Lockyer and Soward have been quite this year.

9. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    have been quite what?

10. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    Its a good thing for TH to stay out of the spotlight for as long as possible this season.

11. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Moot point, he is playing as a halfback. He is inside Hodko 90+% of the time. Playing first receiver almost exclusively. Has even been feeding some scrums. He might be wearing 6 but you'd hardly say he is playing a traditional 5/8 role (whatever that is these days).

12. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
    quite quiet?

13. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    quite quiet?
    [/quote]

quit it.

14. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    On form this season that is probably fair enough. Been watching a lot of him coz he is my fantasy halfback, and he has been class in all areas. Still has room to improve though

He cops a bit of flak at times, but it still has to be considered he is young than Hodkinson I think. If Trent was doing half the stuff Pearce has we would be over the moon

15. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    Good to see those last two posts removed from this thread.

16. Volley

Volley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +581 / 21
    Pearce is easily top 5 this year.

Hodko is better than Sandow and Mortimer.

17. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    I have removed two posts from this thread as they were both abusive and did nothing for the thread. (Those involved know who they are!)

Please note that Fro has been the resident 'spell- check' on this site for a long time and there has been a lot of fun and banter as a result. Talk on spelling and typos is all tongue-in-cheek and should not be taken too seriously.

Lighten up!!!

18. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    sorry CW someone prods I prod back, especially when that someone seems to be stalking my posts.

Try again Cliffy, or better yet don't bother reading my posts and I'll do the same with your drivel.