Toovey vindicated re Bulldogs loss & referees

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/official-must-enforce-10m-rule-or-the-game-will-suffer/story-e6frexnr-1226477579712

Two weeks ago Manly coach Geoff Toovey labelled the 10m situation "ridiculous" after the Sea Eagles' loss to the Dogs.

"I thought we were playing back in the 5m rule," Toovey said. "I thought it was ridiculous to tell you the truth. If there was a 10m sprint in the Olympics they'd have a couple of gold medallists out there."

Not a great deal was made of Toovey's comments because most fallout centred on the fact the Sea Eagles' finals hopes were on life support through injury and suspension.Yet plenty of experts were complaining, and most agreed with Toovey that the policing of the 10m was a joke.

So we looked for evidence to back up Toovey's complaint. As these images clearly illustrate, Toovey had every right to blow up.

On numerous occasions the Bulldogs were caught well in front of the referee marking the 10m, especially in the second half. Yet not once were they penalised for it.

578777-bulldogs-inside-the-ten-1.jpg

579379-bulldogs-inside-the-ten-2.jpg

578772-bulldogs-inside-the-ten-3.jpg

At Last! The Bulldogs have been getting away with this all year (as well as Ennis' blatant forward passes from dummy half). They should have also shown pictures of the Bulldogs' goal-line defence...it's the most blatant offside play of any team in the comp . The Raiders beat them 34-6 , but that could have been the penalty count (it was only 7-6 to the Raiders). Obsessive compulsive Des is losing his influence over the referees at the pointy end of the season . I can hear the sound of smashing glass and crashing doors coming from a high tech video auditorium .

Agreed - why not fine the refs for bringing the game into disrepute? I mean an alleged lie about not touching a ball seems to pale into insignificance to blatant poor refereeing calls.

The Tele are only now making mention of this because of the Souths v Dogs game. It has nothing to do with being on Manly's side, they are just riding the Souths bandwagon.

We all saw this, and noted it in posts straight after the game. There were no penalties for inside 10m in the game against the Berries. I'm pleased it is being aired in the media. It explains why our attack was so stilted, plus the fact that Jamie was missing.
This will help Souffs.

Obvious that the Dogs are working on the premise that the referees especially in finals game might penalise them once maybe twice but for the other 400 tackles they will get away with being inside the 10m and holding down and wrestling.

Dogs are the most penalised team in the NRL but they should be even more heavily penalised.

Is it des? My memory tells me that Canterbury have been consistently offside since about 1980. It's a tradition at belmore.

Shoe1 said:
Is it des? My memory tells me that Canterbury have been consistently offside since about 1980. It's a tradition at belmore.

Well if they don't get penalised then they will only keep doing it to get the advantage.

I think Tooves and the boys are more prepared for the SOO-esque reffing likely tonight, after being off the pace in Week 1 and then finding their groove against North Qld.

There will be plenty of holding down by all but Souths (they haven't got to the level of the other three....yet) so I can see Manly perform no different to the Storm in pushing the refs patience in the ruck.

As long as the ridiculous is penalised and the 10 metres kept in place (which impacts on how effective the wrestle/numbers to the tackle is) then we'll see a great match-up and the best team over 80mins deservedly win.

Is pretty clear the media wants souffs in the gf .With the Bulldogs being the second most penalised side in the comp ( 2nd to the chooks ) they are riding the bunny home .

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4