TOOVEY the coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
After over a season and a half in charge and a win ratio of about 60% and Manly in third place how do you rate 2V's coaching? For me there is only two indicators. Success and if players want to play for him and 2V seems to have both of them going for him so I'd say he is doing a very good job. He has got players playing well at the right time of year and looking at our fringe first graders like Hiku, Hasson, Symonds, Sao, Gower who have all been able to come into the system and go well in their designated roles we are well placed in terms of quality depth.

I couldn't be happier to have Tooves in charge and think he has got us well placed for this year and next:exclamation:

I tweeted the below yesterday

Geoff Toovey
@manlyseaeagles 2012-13 NRL
games 45
won 28
lost 16
Draw 1
Win % 62.22 #GoManly

Symonds is NOT a fringe 1st Grader.

Still believe this period to the end of the year, will be the biggest test of Toovey's coaching, (if not life). If we crash out like last year, with our 'end of year' roster, then 2v will be put to the sword.

If, however, they can get into the GF, especially against the Bunnies they'll almost certainly achieve the ultimate 1970 REVENGE:) and 2V will go on and on.

manlyfan76 said:
After over a season and a half in charge and a win ratio of about 60% and Manly in third place how do you rate 2V's coaching? For me there is only two indicators. Success and if players want to play for him and 2V seems to have both of them going for him so I'd say he is doing a very good job. He has got players playing well at the right time of year and looking at our fringe first graders like Hiku, Hasson, Symonds, Sao, Gower who have all been able to come into the system and go well in their designated roles we are well placed in terms of quality depth.

I couldn't be happier to have Tooves in charge and think he has got us well placed for this year and next:exclamation:

I couldn't agree more. I Prefer him than Des Hasler. The Bulldogs can keep Hasler. I have an old Manly jersey with Toovey's name and the number he played in vinyl lettering on the back from when he was playing with Manly. I'm glad I did this! :)

Regardless of how we finish this year I have faith in Tooves. I think he has done an excellent job under extraordinary circumstance (Des' departure, player retention, salary cap challenges).

Tooves is our future.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Symonds is NOT a fringe 1st Grader.

Still believe this period to the end of the year, will be the biggest test of Toovey's coaching, (if not life). If we crash out like last year, with our 'end of year' roster, then 2v will be put to the sword.

If, however, they can get into the GF, especially against the Bunnies they'll almost certainly achieve the ultimate 1970 REVENGE:) and 2V will go on and on.

He was a fringe first grader at the Roosters.

I grouped him with the others simply because he is currently out of the starting side due to injury.

Put to the sword for guiding our team to the finals and not quite making the GF??? Your kidding right??
Stupid comment

Going very well is Toovey. Considering it's his second year the club is looking strong, player roster is looking healthy, on field performance speaks for itself.

Many clubs with our fine track record can wander off into the darkness for a few seasons but not Manly. The fact that players want to stay is a big boost. Even bigger is that the club has resurrected or launched careers. This must make it a club of interest to lots of players.

After Des left taking staff with him we were supposed to collapse. We didn't.

I am savouring the prospect of knocking the dogs out in the finals. So sweet that will be should they get matched up.

I suggest buying today's RLW as there is a great story on Kieran Foran and he has some great things to day about Tooves.

A small part: Manly had made eight finals series in a row and won two premierships when Halser left for the Bulldogs at the end of 2011.
It was a difficult time for Foran, so much so that he eventually dined with Hasler to tell him up-front of his decision to re-sign with Manly and not link with Cnaterbury.
"It was tough for me and all the boys" Foran concedes. "When I came into first grade in 2009 ..... It was all Des Hasler and the Manly Sea Eagles. Dessie was what Manly was. When he left it was such a shock, because I never thought he'd ever go".
"But there wouldn't have been a better bloke in the world than Geoff to take over. Everyone was questioning how the club would go on, because Dessie had such a massive influence over all those years. But Tooves had been doing his apprenticeship and slowly, quietly taking everything in. Once Dessie left, he was able to slot straight in and he has done an incredible job considering the circumstances. He is just going from strength to strength as a coach.
"There is not a more passionate bloke. When you hear him talk about Manly, he just bleeds it.... And that rubs off on us players."
"When he is giving you his pump-up speeches before games , we aren't looking at him thinking it is all just talk. Tooves was one of the toughest players to lace a boot and we all draw inspiration from that. We all love playing for him and we want to get the wins for him".
The lure to join Hasler may have been strong but Foran is adamant he made the right decision.
"I was going back and forth on it. I was all over the shop and wasn't sure where I really wanted to be", he admits. "But when I weighed everything up it came down to how tight I was with the boys."
" You ask any of the Manly players and they will say that the boys are best of mates and it is fair dinkum true. We spend more time with one another than we do our own families."
"I've been pretty fortunate to be involved with a great club like Manly and have a successful team around me. I've been lucky enough to win a premiership already and to keep playing with so many great guys at the club".

Success is judged by results in the big games.

1. 2012 WCC = fail
2. 1st 2012 Semi V Canterbury = fail
3. 2nd 2012 Semi V Nth Qld = pass (Hand of Foran)
4. 3rd 2012 Semi V scum = fail

I rate him at 25% so far. In fact I'll go as far as to say we have not won a single important game under Tooves without controversy.

I think he is a very good developing coach, but until we win a big game or two he will be just another coach on the up.

bones said:
I suggest buying today's RLW as there is a great story on Kieran Foran and he has some great things to day about Tooves.

A small part: Manly had made eight finals series in a row and won two premierships when'd Halser left for the Bulldogs at the end of 2011.
It was a difficult time for Foran, so much so that he eventually dined with Hasler to tell him up-front of his decision to re-sign with Manly and not link with Cnaterbury.
"It was tough for me and all the boys" Foran concedes. "When I came into first grade in 2009 ..... It was all Des Hasler and the Manly Sea Eagles. Dessie was what Manly was. When he left it was such a shock, because I never thought he'd ever go".
"But there wouldn't have been a better bloke in the world than Geoff to take over. Everyone was questioning how the club would go on, because Dessie had such a massive influence over all those years. But Tooves had been doing his apprenticeship and slowly, quietly taking everything in. Once Dessie left, he was able to slot straight in and he has done an incredible job considering the circumstances. He is just going from strength to strength as a coach.
"There is not a more passionate bloke. When you hear him talknabout Manly, he just bleeds it.... And that rubs off on us players."
"When he is giving you his pump-up speeches before games , we aren't looking at him thinking it is all just talk. Tooves was one of the toughest players to lace a boot and we all draw inspiration from that. We all love playing for him and we want to get the wins for him".
The lure to join Hasler may have been strong but Foran is adamant he made the right decision.
"I was going back and forth on it. I was all over the shop and wasn't sure where I really wanted to be", he admits. "But when I weighed everything up it came down to how tight I was with the boys."
" You ask any of the Manly players and they will say that the boys are best of mates and it is fair dinkum true. We spend more time with one another than we do our own families."
"I've been pretty fortunate to be involved with a great club like Manly and have a successful team around me. I've been lucky enough to win a premiership already and to keep playing with so many great guys at the club".

Great to hear Foran praising Toovs. The bonus is he is every inch a Manly man. Thanks for sharing that article Bones.

Ralphie said:

1. 2012 WCC = fail

I rate him at 25% so far. In fact I'll go as far as to say we have not won a single important game under Tooves without controversy.

I think he is a very good developing coach, but until we win a big game or two he will be just another coach on the up.

I think I'll take Kieran Foran's opinion over Ralphies. Cheers anyway mate.

Ralphie said:

1. 2012 WCC = fail

I classify every week a big game

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Ralphie said:

1. 2012 WCC = fail

I classify every week a big game

So if we were to say.....finish 2nd on the competition ladder at the end of the regular season for the next three years, but go out the back door in the finals each year, then we would conclude that Tooves is a great coach.

The games that are important are the games that are pressure games against the best opposition. If we can't start winning those games, then I for one won't be able to rate Tooves any better than a Brian Smith who was unable to win a GF.

Your right Ralphie, but I'd suggest you not bother trying to prove that point. Ok, it's great winning in the season proper and all, and I'd much prefer that to losing all the way through - but in big games, we do appear to get out coached.

In fact, against good, top 4 teams we tend to struggle.

So we are hating on Tooves for getting us to the semis in his first year and not winning the whole thing ?? Let's see what this year brings before we get too judgemental.

I'd be interested in what you think of Wayne Bennett's record. Only 7 premierships from about 20 something visits to finals football.

Chip and Chase said:
So we are hating on Tooves for getting us to the semis in his first year and not winning the whole thing ?? Let's see what this year brings before we get too judgemental.

I'd be interested in what you think of Wayne Bennett's record. Only 7 premierships from about 20 something visits to finals football.

Or that because QLD have won 8 Origins in a row, Mal Meninga must be the greatest coach of all time.

Ralphie said:

1. 2012 WCC = fail

Having a lend aren't you Ralphie. The WCC challenge? Its a glorified trial match.

Considering the circumstances leading into Tooves first season in charge the defence of our 2011 title was a hellava lot better than our 2009 season. How does that rank against Des?

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8